Pickled Eggplant

What's cooking?
GoDawgs
Reactions:

Pickled Eggplant

Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:34 pm

Pickled Eggplant

Pickled eggplants are marinated eggplants kept under oil, flavored with garlic and oregano as done in Italy.

3-5 long thin eggplants
kosher salt
2/3 cup red wine vinegar plus 1/3 cup water
3 or 4 cloves garlic
½ tsp oregano
good quality extra virgin olive oil

Slice the eggplant into ¼” thick slices or julienne if preferred. Place in a colander and sprinkle lightly with kosher salt. Continuing layering the slices and salt until finished.

Place a small plate on top of the slices and put a weight on top of the plate. Make sure to place the colander in the sink or put a small bowl underneath to catch the liquid. After as couple of hours, squeeze all the excess liquid from the eggplant and set aside.

Put the vinegar and water in a small pot, bring to a boil and then add the eggplant. Cook for about 2 minutes and drain. When cool enough to handle, squeeze the excess vinegar from the eggplant.

Place the pickled eggplant in a bowl and add some olive oil, garlic and oregano and mix well. You will add more olive oil later in the process.

Put the pickled eggplant mix into clean, dry jars and pack tightly. Fill the jar with olive oil. Run a fork or long skewer down along the sides of the jars to get rid of air gaps. If the jar is packed correctly there shouldn’t be much more olive oil needed to cover contents. Place the lid on tightly and refrigerate about 3 or 4 days before eating. Keep refrigerated after opening.

Note: We love this stuff!

MissS
Reactions:

Re: Pickled Eggplant

Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:10 pm

This sounds delicious and I have to try it. Thanks much for posting this.
~ Patti ~

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Re: Pickled Eggplant

Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:37 pm

That sounds good, like one I've made before, with more herbs in it. I'm also looking for one for longer storage, but a water bath or pressure canning would probably turn it to mush. I'm thinking of doing that thing about drying it out some in the microwave, before doing the pickling...maybe salting first, then drying it some, before pickling. I'll experiment with a small amount.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Return to “Recipes”