Salt and pepper tomatoes

What's cooking?
Shule
Reactions:

Salt and pepper tomatoes

Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:00 am

I'm one of those people who likes plenty of ketchup on hamburgers, hotdogs, corndogs, tater tots, French fries, hashbrowns, and sometimes even the burritos you buy frozen (if I don't have something preferable to put on them).

We ran out of ketchup, and we were eating hamburgers for dinner. So, I put lots of tomatoes on them as I've been doing lately in such situations (a large, thick slice on each side). I forgot pickles, though, now that I think of it. Anyway, this time I put salt, and lots of black pepper (I mean, pretty much cover it with black pepper) on each tomato slice. Apparently, that simple combination tastes really good, and adds a zing (plus moisture) that makes it a good makeshift ketchup substitute, in my mind. The kind of tomato I used was Insurance_1 (and the specific fruit that I used was pretty good), but I would think it would work with most large tomatoes. The only real downside here is that some tomatoes are pretty wet (so, if you use as much tomato as I used, you may get soggy bread if you're not careful). My bread didn't get soggy this time, though.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

karstopography
Reactions:

Re: Salt and pepper tomatoes

Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:14 am

Not a big ketchup lover, but I do like that on french fries. Never on a hamburger.

I almost always season abundantly using fine ground sea salt out of the grinder right on top of tomato slices, then grind fresh black pepper over them with abandon. No pre ground pepper for me and no iodized salt either. I get plenty of iodine in the seafood I eat. Sea salt has a better flavor.

Season with authority, the mantra of celebrity chef Marc Murphy.

I tend to like thinner slices of tomato on sandwiches and burgers, kind of like I prefer thinnly sliced deli meats. 1/4”, 6 mm on the tomatoes, something like that. Let them sit a bit as the moisture is drawn out and evaporates or drains off. Same with Caprese Salad.

There’s so much flavor in a garden tomato that a thin slice can deliver without being overwhelmingly wet and destructive to the integrity of the sandwich. Of course, toasting the bread help the sandwich stand up better juicy meats and tomatoes.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

EdieJ
Reactions:

Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:10 pm

Gotta have salt on tomatoes. No pepper, though. I always make my own mayo, too. The whole reason to have burgers or sandwiches this time of year is to have an extra excuse to eat tomatoes and mayo!
North Central AL (mountains)
Zone 7

KathyDC
Reactions:

Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:13 pm

I love to salt and pepper tomatoes and just eat the slices like that. I also like extra sauce AND tomatoes on my pizza.... I may have a problem.

Shule
Reactions:

Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:41 am

[mention]KathyDC[/mention]
I like extra sauce and tomatoes at the same time on my pizza, too. :) I'm not a dry, one-topping (that is always pepperoni) pizza person. I used to love Pizza Hut pepperoni pizzas in the 80's, but they had a lot of cheese, oil and enough sauce to hold me over at the time. Sauce didn't become scarce on pretty much all pizza (except Hawaiian) until about 2009 or later, I think.

If I have to have a one-topping pizza, I prefer the topping to be olives, or maybe onions, but in light of this discussion, I might also say tomatoes.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:40 am

At work we send one person to go get burgers at wherever.
Now here is the deal.
All I wanted extra on one was add mayonnaise.
I get it and there are no vegetables and just mayonnaise.
The other place puts ketchup on the things and I said no ketchup.
I get it and it has extra ketchup yuck.
When I was a kid I like ketchup on a burger and have no idea when I stopped liking it on one but I dont care for it on a burger.
As for salt and pepper the more black pepper the better.
What I dont like is someone commenting as to what I put on my food or how much in a disparaging way.
You might say I get triggered.
This all started when I worked up in Alaska, there were at least two guys that always had something to say.
One time in front of everyone I said you know what why dont you just eat your own food and shut the blank up about what I eat.
I mean it was like every time we had french fries he had to comment on my putting mayonnaise on my french fries.
Or how much pepper I used, always something.
This coming from someone that drowned their prime rib with Ketchup.
Seriously, 'who does that, well maybe some folks but I never comment on it at the table.
Some of us like black pepper and salt on a cantaloupe I know I do.
Now if you like salt and pepper on tomatoes you may like a little sugar too, sweet and salty.
As for burgers I like mayonnaise on both buns and as a pickle I like sweet pickles on them with lots of salt and pepper.
I can do without the cheese most of the time.
Does anyone remember Pizza Hut back in the beginning in the late 50's and 60's compared to now?
I remember my first time it was in Missouri, there was enough fresh hot cheese to feed a thousand rats.
That was way back when the VW Beetle used the air from the spare tire to run the windshield washer fluid.
Remember that?
What happened?
Well Pepsi bought Pizza hut out in 77 and now it is owned by Yum brands.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Return to “Recipes”