GoDawgs
Reactions:

Chicken Thighs with Creamy Mustard Sauce

Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:08 pm

Chicken Thighs with Creamy Mustard Sauce

From Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa

Total: 45 min (Active: 20 min)
Yield: 4 servings

8 medium bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (2 1/4 pounds)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Good olive oil
2 cups halved and thinly sliced yellow onions (2 onions)
2 tablespoons dry white wine
8 ounces creme fraiche (I used sour cream)
1 tablespoon good Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

Place the chicken thighs on a cutting board, skin side up, and pat them dry with paper towels. Sprinkle the chicken with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper. Turn them over and sprinkle them with one more teaspoon of salt.

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large (11 to 12-inch) cast-iron skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, place the chicken in the pan in one layer, skin side down. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes without moving, until the skin is golden brown. (If the skin gets too dark, turn the heat to medium low.)

Turn the chicken pieces with tongs, add the onions to the pan, including under the chicken, and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring the onions occasionally, until the thighs are cooked to 155 to 160 degrees and the onions are browned.

Transfer the chicken (not the onions) to a plate and allow to rest uncovered while you make the sauce. If the onions aren't browned, cook them for another minute.

Add the wine, creme fraiche, Dijon mustard, whole-grain mustard, and 1 teaspoon salt to the skillet and stir over medium heat for one minute.

Return the chicken, skin side up, and the juices to the skillet, sprinkle with parsley, and serve hot.

GoDawgs Notes: Next time I will brown the chicken on medium low heat as the skin was getting really dark at the 8 minute mark. I flipped the chicken, lowered the heat and finished browning the second side. Still, I had to put the skillet in a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes to finish cooking the chicken and juices ran clear. Next time I will also nuke the pieces for just a minute or two to make sure they are room temp before I start the browning process.

MissS
Reactions:

Re: Chicken Thighs with Creamy Mustard Sauce

Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:28 am

[mention]GoDawgs[/mention] What a nice recipe. It looks fabulous. I also like how you not only posted the recipe but also your cooker's notes. Thanks so much for sharing this one!
~ Patti ~

Tormato
Reactions:

Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:17 pm

GoDawgs wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:08 pm Chicken Thighs with Creamy Mustard Sauce

From Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa

Total: 45 min (Active: 20 min)
Yield: 4 servings

8 medium bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (2 1/4 pounds)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Good olive oil
2 cups halved and thinly sliced yellow onions (2 onions)
2 tablespoons dry white wine
8 ounces creme fraiche (I used sour cream)
1 tablespoon good Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

Place the chicken thighs on a cutting board, skin side up, and pat them dry with paper towels. Sprinkle the chicken with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper. Turn them over and sprinkle them with one more teaspoon of salt.

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large (11 to 12-inch) cast-iron skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, place the chicken in the pan in one layer, skin side down. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes without moving, until the skin is golden brown. (If the skin gets too dark, turn the heat to medium low.)

Turn the chicken pieces with tongs, add the onions to the pan, including under the chicken, and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring the onions occasionally, until the thighs are cooked to 155 to 160 degrees and the onions are browned.

Transfer the chicken (not the onions) to a plate and allow to rest uncovered while you make the sauce. If the onions aren't browned, cook them for another minute.

Add the wine, creme fraiche, Dijon mustard, whole-grain mustard, and 1 teaspoon salt to the skillet and stir over medium heat for one minute.

Return the chicken, skin side up, and the juices to the skillet, sprinkle with parsley, and serve hot.

GoDawgs Notes: Next time I will brown the chicken on medium low heat as the skin was getting really dark at the 8 minute mark. I flipped the chicken, lowered the heat and finished browning the second side. Still, I had to put the skillet in a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes to finish cooking the chicken and juices ran clear. Next time I will also nuke the pieces for just a minute or two to make sure they are room temp before I start the browning process.
You must know what you're doing around a microwave oven. I've tried to pre-warm raw chicken a few times and gave up. The thinnest edge of the meat would always turn a bit rubbery.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:41 pm

[mention]Tormato[/mention] , you're right about using the full power even for a short time making rubbery edges. The timed defrost setting works a lot better. Make sure the meat is spread evenly on a plate and then do maybe three minutes on defrost. You'll have to play with it and see how much time works best on your microwave for different kinds of meat.

Return to “Recipes”