Smoked Ghost Pepper Salt

What's cooking?
Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Smoked Ghost Pepper Salt

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:22 pm

I decided to smoke some ghost peppers. The barrel smoker was a little too hot and basically it also roasted/dehydrated the peppers but it did add more flavor.
100_2848.JPG
I reconstituted them in a small bowl of water then into the blender with a little lemon juice and some of the water from the bowl. I'm sure you can add a little "Liquid Smoke" or any other flavors/herbs/seasoning.
100_2850.JPG
100_2852.JPG
100_2853.JPG
100_2854.JPG
I measured the pulp/liquid for future reference, this was a little too much for a 3lb box of course Kosher salt as you can see the liquid in the pan before they went in the convection oven set at 170F for a few hours to dry.
100_2855.JPG
I dumped everything back in the FP and added enough of that water to make it a thick slurry. Last time I made pepper salt I used a bigger FP and that worked much better. I didn't have to add as much liquid to get all of the salt mixed thoroughly.
100_2857.JPG
100_2859.JPG
100_2860.JPG
100_2861.JPG
I left the pans in the oven for about 4 hours and started breaking up the salt once it was dry enough. Here's the final product. It has a slight smoke flavor but I wanted more so I took one jar and smoked it the next day for 8 hours using hickory.
100_2873.JPG
The jar on the right is the smoked salt and you can smell it so much more than the other jar. I was expecting a darker color but it looks like the smoke washed the pink color out some. It has good flavor and it's not too hot for most people, not as hot as I wanted it so next time I'll double the pepper amount.
100_2883.JPG
I used 3 handfuls of hickory chips and about 3lbs of charcoal, I set up the coals in the snake method and topped it with chips and that burned about 8 hours.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zone: 9A
Climate: Hot and Humid
Avg annual rainfall: 60.48"

Return to “Recipes”