• 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
  • 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
  • 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • Vanilla yogurt, optional

Directions

1) Place the first seven ingredients in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Combine the orange juice, honey, ginger, cinnamon, pie spice, orange zest and salt; pour over top and mix well.

2) Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until vegetables are tender. Dollop servings with yogurt if desired.

OK we made the Tzimmes and it smelled awesome cooking all day, but what did it taste like?
Well, lets just say I would never make it again.
The dish was extremely Tart so we added more honey which didn't help, we finally had to cut the tartness with some sugar. It was a little better.
This is a very unique dish if you ask me but it's not something I would ever make again, it's such a shame because everyone was remarking on how wonderful it smelled while cooking. I did get to try some of my Butternut Squashes and a sweet potato that I grew.
The butternut squash smelled like cantaloupe when cut open, I'm actually a little sad that it was sort of wasted, Oh well I got about 6 more.

If you do decide to make this recipe I would parboil the carrots for a half hour or so and run the crock pot on high for the first 2 hours then turn to low.

Uncoooked

Cooked

MissS
Reactions:

Re: Tzimmes

Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:41 am

I was surprised when I got towards the bottom and you said that this dish was tart. Because I was reading the ingredients and as I was reading them I was thinking gosh this is going to be rather sweet. I'm sorry it wasn't to your liking, but your squash is absolutely stunning.
~ Patti ~

SQWIB
Reactions:

Re: Tzimmes

Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:23 pm

So was I.
I really wanted to like this recipe, one redeeming quality was that it smelled like a good potpourri. :oops:

Return to “Recipes”