Cheap Eaten

Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:46 pm

We will continue here.
Last night hamburger steak and crispy crunchy fries
Just to kick the tread off.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

pondgardener
Reactions:

Re: Cheap Eaten

Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:31 pm

Making a big pot of green chile to freeze and pull out a jar every now and then when needed. That hamburger steak and fries would be ideal to pour over. It is what they call around here a "slopper". Open faced burger, sprinkled with chopped onions and cheese, smothered in green chile and served with an order of crispy fries.

Nan6b
Reactions:

Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:58 pm

Dug up a massive daikon radish a month ago. Today we cut it up, tossed with oil, salt, & pepper, 400*F oven for about 1/2 hour, turning occasionally. Delicious! The raw radish was pretty hot; it mellowed out in the oven. Makes radishes interesting.

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:43 am

I haven't had a diakon radish in years.
Lunch is a can of hominy and crackers.
Worth

bower
Reactions:

Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:58 pm

We had a nice harvest of fruit for jellies this year, so this week I did the marathon - just finished batch 4. Glad to get those berries out of the freezer. I made black currant, red currant, gooseberry and finally dogberry jelly. 9-10 pints apiece.
I may try out a recipe for fruit jelly candies, too, to use up the less perfect ends of the batch.
I believe all you need is a dab of extra pectin and sugar and lemon juice to set up hard enough to handle, then after cutting, roll in granulated sugar...
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Nan6b
Reactions:

Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:51 pm

Bower wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:58 pm I may try out a recipe for fruit jelly candies, too, to use up the less perfect ends of the batch.
I believe all you need is a dab of extra pectin and sugar and lemon juice to set up hard enough to handle, then after cutting, roll in granulated sugar...
Add walnuts! It did wonders for the Applets & Cotlets people. :D

Nan6b
Reactions:

Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:09 pm

Before first frost, I picked all the hot Bishop's Cap peppers, red and green. They sat in bowls on the table for about a month. They all turned red, and some eventually spoiled. Today, we de-seeded the very limp wrinkled fruits, then did them like the radish: Tossed in oil, salt & pepper, 400*F for about 20 minutes. DH says they're great. Moral: you can abuse the heck out of these peppers & still make good. Next year I won't wait so long.

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:29 pm

I can rarely contribute to this thread, my tastes and the local cost of living mean I don't often eat cheap. This time though, I might need some help. My cousin's wife ordered from a subscription service that sends boxes of certified organic, non-GMO "misfit" produce. She got a nice little box of veggies, and I thought it would be a good amount of root veggies at this time of year that would keep well and be good for soups and stews and roasted vegitables. They had a Black Friday or Cyber Monday or something deal where you got the first box half price and the person who referred you also got their next box half price. I asked her what size box she ordered and I could have sworn she said a large. Nope. Guess what arrived today?
ImageIMG_1336 by Susan Albetski, on Flickr

Everything from Cilantro to Mangos and Bok Choy, Zucchini to Radishes and more. I have never used Bok Choy before, or the delacata squash. I have two bunches of radishes which I have tried with butter and salt and do not care for. Any other suggestions other than sliced in a salad?

Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:33 pm

[mention]PhilaGardener[/mention] Did it work?
Zone: 9A
Climate: Hot and Humid
Avg annual rainfall: 60.48"

Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:49 pm

Sue_CT wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:29 pm I can rarely contribute to this thread, my tastes and the local cost of living mean I don't often eat cheap.

This isn't my thread and Worth will let me know if I'm wrong but cheap is a relative term. Your cheap and my cheap could be from $5 to $100. If it's cheap to you, it's probably cheap to people around you so you helped, just like the Shake-n-Bake commercial. :lol: :lol:

Zone: 9A
Climate: Hot and Humid
Avg annual rainfall: 60.48"

worth1
Reactions:

Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:25 am

Sue please feel free to participate.
More later, got to go to work.
Worth

upcountrygirl
Reactions:

Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:56 pm

She, try roasting the radishes. I keep it simple and toss them with a little oil and season with salt and pepper. We love zucchini quiche, ravioli, lasagna, fries, in stir fries, battered and fried, sauteed with butter and onion... It looks like you got y great deal! Do you mind giving the company name? I'm so wondering if they deliver here....

bower
Reactions:

Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:45 pm

SueCT, Bok Choy is useful either chopped raw in a salad, or in a stir fry, or in a side dish of cooked vegs (carrots I see) - it would cook faster than carrots (assuming chopped same size), so I add them a bit later.
I confess I hate radishes! But the leaves do make a decent pesto.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:46 pm

I believe they are nationwide. It is called Misfits Market. The links and referrals don't always work as intended but the customer service is very good. My apples were not in good condition so they are giving me 20% off my next box. The referral code I used didn't work so they gave me a new one when I contacted customer service and made sure the person who referred me got credit, too. I have a referral link you can use that will give you 25% off your fist box and will also give me a discount on a future box for referring you. If it doesn't work, shoot an email to customer service and they will take care of it, if you decide to try it. I don't know if they will have a better offer again soon but I can post here if they do. Mine, as I said, was 50% but only for Black Friday weekend. http://misfitsmarket.refr.cc/susanalbetski

I tried the link and it does look like it was working. There is also a page so you can see what items they are currently sourcing each week so you know your items would come from those although the exact mix is a surprise. My Nephew's wife got the celery root, which I would love, but I did not. I also hope to get some broccolini and rainbow carrots if they still have them when I get my next box. Kind of fun to see what arrives. You click on "whats in my box" to see the current list of items they are shipping,
Last edited by Sue_CT on Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:48 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions! Zucchini I have all kinds of uses for. The bok choy I will probably try sauteing some tonight and then go from there. The radishes I am stumped, but I have never tried roasting them, so thanks for that!

worth1
Reactions:

Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:09 pm

First of; 'The minute I made this thread I gave it away and it isn't mine anymore.
It belongs to everyone.
Next Cheap Eating is all relative.
If you go out and buy a thick juicy T Bone and eat it at home, it is cheaper than going out to eat steak by a long shot.
Coulda called it Home Cooking but had rather not.
Worth

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:28 pm

I see. Once or twice a year I make boneless short ribs. I get the ribs from a butcher that are soooo much nicer than what I can find in the grocery stores, and I collect coupons they have to get 5.00 off a 30.00 purchase so I can get 4 giant short ribs each time. When I have enough, I use my favorite Cabernet (for cooking only, I don't drink red wine) that costs 16.99 a bottle, to make my version of Anne Burrel's Short Rib recipe. For 6-8 large short ribs it costs almost 100.00. I share with my mother and my brother and freeze some for later meals. I will make a pot for my brother's birthday on January 3, I think. But I never would have posted something it costs that much to make on this thread. On the other hand, I couldn't afford to treat them both to this kind of meal in a good restaurant, much less have several meals for myself later on. Its is also not something I can afford to do very often. But I would have been embarrassed to post that here, especially since so many members don't have that kind of money. Plus, I am afraid Worth will post later that he was able to make it for 20.00, lol. :lol:

worth1
Reactions:

Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:16 pm

Sue you are talking about a guy that used to walk around the town square on Saturdays in the 60's collecting pennies off the sidewalk till he had enough money to buy a Matchbox car or truck.
Sometimes it took at least a month of Saturdays if not more.
They were 98 cents I think back then at the five and dime store.
I will pinch a penny till it screams.
Worth

maxjohnson
Reactions:

Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:54 pm

Grilled cheese, using sourdough bread and muenster cheese.

This is not cheap, but I guess depends on how much you paid for them. I've never cooked quail before. Marinate them overnight with lemongrass, dry herbs, worcestershire, coconut aminos, and molasses. Oven baked. Looks a bit burnt, but it's just right inside, very flavorful from the marinade.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by maxjohnson on Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.

worth1
Reactions:

Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:12 pm

Looks really good.
I miss the good old days of West Texas Blue Quail hunting.
Worth

Return to “Cheap Eaten”