Pit Beef Brisket w/ Burgundy-Orange Sauce

SQWIB
Reactions:

Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:03 am

October 27th, 2016

It has been a while since I spent some time with my pit, the weather has been getting colder, the days shorter, my pond and garden have been taken care of, now I need some quality time with my pit. But what to do? After looking over my website I came across my Tangy Tomato Brisket that was a hit, so I figured a brisket would be nice. Hell... it has been a year and a half since I even done a brisket, and, I ain't gettn' any youngr'!

After work I stopped at restaurant depot to see what they had, Man I love this place!

OK, I can handle that price. I am not a big fan of brisket because of the price. At Sam's Club they are $6.99 a pound or at least were the last time I checked, I don't bother looking anymore. I refuse to spend that when I can get Prime Rib for the same price or a little more. My last RD brisket was $3.87 a pound and I was OK with that (Barely). This near 15 pound brisket was cheaper than the 12 pound brisket I bought at RD last year, at Sams Club this would have been $104.15 at RD it cost me $44.51. Once you factor in the weight loss after trimming and cooking you might as well just get a Wagyu Kobe Rib Eye!

Here is the recipe I will be working from.

Beef Brisket with Burgundy-Orange
Ingredients;

• 1 envelope onion soup mix
  • 1 1⁄2 cups Burgundy wine
  • 1⁄4 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1 tablespoon dried basil
  • 2 teaspoons dried thyme
  • 1⁄3 cup orange marmalade
  • 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated orange rind
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
  • 4 lbs beef brisket
  • 1 lb mushroom, cut into quarters

Directions
  • Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
  • In a roaster into which the brisket fits comfortably, stir together the soup mix, wine, water and flour until blended.
  • Stir in the basil, thyme, marmalade, orange peel, sugar, garlic and pepper.
  • Add the brisket, spooning some of the sauce over the top and distributing the mushrooms evenly around the brisket.
  • Cover and bake for 4 hours, basting every hour, until tender when pierced with a fork.
    If the sauce bubbles too rapidly, reduce the oven temperature to 275 degrees.
  • Remove from the oven and place the brisket on a sheet of heavy foil.
  • Pour the sauce into a bowl, cover, and refrigerate.
  • When the brisket is cool, wrap in foil and refrigerate.
  • Remove solidified fat from the sauce and discard.
  • Slice the brisket thinly against the grain.
  • Overlap slices in a shallow, ovenproof dish that is just large enough to hold them.
  • Pour the sauce over the meat and heat in the oven until hot and bubbly.

I had to modify this recipe to work on the pit and for such a large cut of meat. I decided on leaving out the flour in the beginning and will be added later. I also added more liquids. This recipe is for about 12 pounds

Here is my recipe tweaked for the pit.

Beef Brisket with Burgundy-Orange (Tweaked Recipe)
Ingredients;

• 1 bottle Burgundy wine
  • 2 envelopes Lipton Beef onion soup mix
  • 1 can french onion soup
  • 1 can Beef Consomme
  • 1 can Beef Broth
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1 tablespoon dried basil
  • 1 heaping tablespoon minced onion
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 tablespoons dried thyme
  • 1.5 cups orange marmalade
  • 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated orange rind (I used 3 large oranges)
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon of garlic
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 12 lbs beef brisket
  • 6 lb mushrooms

Directions

• Mix all ingredients but the flour mushroom and brisket, bring to a simmer then remove from heat
    While the marinate is cooling, trim the brisket
  • Place the trimmed brisket in a large steamer pan and pour the cooled marinade over top of the beef, flip twice to coat, cover and refrigerate for 24 hours flipping once. I usually go 36 hours because I prep in the evening and cook in the morning.
  • Preheat pit to 300 degrees F.
  • Place the pan in the pit, remove the brisket, then flip and place the brisket on the grates, place the pan on the firebox, cover the marinade with foil.
  • Cook for three hours or so flipping once through the cook, then remove the foil from the marinade pan, remove a third of the marinade and reserve for later, add a 1/4 cup of flour to the marinade, mix well. Place the brisket in the pan add the mushrooms and cover with the foil, at this point the brisket can be transferred to an oven preheated to about 275°
  • Roast in the oven for 6 to 7 hours longer checking towards the end, a good rule of thumb is one hour per pound up to 8 pounds, add more liquid if needed.
  • Remove the pan from the oven and test the brisket to make sure it's fork-tender. The brisket should fall apart.
  • Remove from the oven and place the brisket on a sheet of heavy foil.
  • Pour the sauce into a bowl, cover, and refrigerate.
  • When the brisket is cool, wrap in foil and refrigerate.
  • Remove solidified fat from the sauce and discard.
  • Slice the brisket against the grain into thin, about 1/4" -3/8" strips
  • Overlap slices in a shallow, ovenproof dish that is just large enough to hold them.
  • Pour the sauce over the meat and heat in the oven until hot and bubbly.

This was almost a 15 pound brisket. I cut off some of the flat to cook without the Burgundy-Orange sauce as my daughter is allergic to oranges.

Sweet Baby Rays and my Philly Style rub. (For Amanda)

OK, here's the step by step.

Spices, I hate zesting!

Marinade, minus the flour and mushrooms.

Trimmed

In the Marinade

Oooh-Ahhh!!

October 29th, 2016

Good Morning, 5:20 am and ready to go!

Pulled brisket from the refrigerator

My kind of weather

Time to Fire up the log lighter

Brisket on, sauce pan on the firebox.

Fire looking good!

Flipped 90 minutes in.

Thickening the sauce a bit with some of the flour

3 hours later, brisket is removed and added to the gravy and tossed to coat all sides, mushrooms are added, pan is covered in foil and the propane is fired up while the oven preheats to 275°

Yes, that is 6 pounds of mushrooms

Into the oven.

Gravy is drained and placed in the refrigerator to cool to defat later, however I skipped this because we decided to eat the brisket tonight not tomorrow.

Separating the point from the flat.

Removing excess fat, yes I don't eat fat, it is removed! Its not a Prime Rib.

Brisket is wrapped in foil then placed in the refrigerator so it can be sliced without falling apart.

Sauce went back in the oven for another hour to reduce, you can see by the next two photos the level on the pan drop.

Thickening sauce a bit more with flour.

The brisket sat in the refrigerator about an hour and was warm when slicing, we decided we wanted brisket for dinner tonight. I actually more or less chopped it and sliced it a tad thicker than I wanted to.

I was really unimpressed with the gravy as was my wife, specifically the orange flavoring, I really thought the Orange would compliment the dish. I like oranges but felt it took away from this dish. If you are an orange lover, you may feel differently.

For me, this would be a top notch dish ditching the orange and beefing up the beef flavor with some beef base and some Worcestershire.

I will be freezing the rest of the sauce to use for another dish. Probably a beef mushroom stew using the leftover brisket, and tweaking with some more beef base.

The Piece of flat I cut off for my daughter was way overcooked, the rest of the brisket itself was perfect. I will be slicing tonight and serving with barbecue sauce.

What would I do differently.

Make the Tangy Tomato instead.

or

Omit the orange and stick with a Beef Burgundy Mushroom sauce, adding Worcestershire butter and beef base to name a few.
Cut more of the thinner part of the flat off and cook till 190 internal

If (If meaning probably not) I was to make this recipe again.

I would use no more than one orange for zest.

I am working on a recipe for a Beef Burgundy Mushroom and will try it out on a smaller brisket, Brisket will be chopped and serve on Noodles or Mashed potatoes (shepherds pie Brisket).

November 2nd, 2016

The rest of the brisket is sliced and vac sealed, the bits and pieced and the gravy is vac sealed for a later recipe.

November 5th, 2016

I decided to use up the Frozen Brisket that was in the sauce for some Shepherds Pie.

November 10th, 2016

This brisket keeps going and going and going...

I need to finish this up by Friday or it gets tossed, so I decided to pack the rest for lunches, I cut the shepherds pie up into 3 meal size pieces and topped with a bit of sriracha. These will pop in the toaster oven at work and be an awesome lunch Today and Tomorrow. Beats my Fiber bar and Banana!

Lunchtime.... fantastic!

I still have the sliced brisket and have special plans for that on my Camping trip to Trap Pond next week.

OK, I'm back.
  • Wheat Roll
  • Kraft Horseradish- Dijon Mayo
  • Brisket quick fried
  • Cole Slaw
  • Bacon
  • Tomato
  • Lettuce
  • Onion (ONE SIDE)
  • Topped with French's French Fried Onion (not shown)

Return to “BBQ/Grilling & Smoking”