Sausage Poboys for supper!!

Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Sausage Poboys for supper!!

Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:30 pm

I've been busy in the greenhouse and had to make a quick supper so I went the old school route and made smoked sausage po-boys. The buns are from the local grocery store that bakes them daily, always soft and light but makes the perfect bun for any sandwich when toasted.
Roasted jalepeno's and slathered in Cajun BBQ sauce, this sauce is different that any other sauce except Pig Stand which is about the same thing. It's a light tomato base with diced onions and it's so good you could make a sandwich with it. Jack Millers has been a staple since forever, it's also available on Amazon.
100_5862.JPG
Served with sliced grilled zucchini to pay homage to the health Gods!
100_5863.JPG
And smash that soft bun, this is Cajun fast food!! :D :D
100_5864.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zone: 9A
Climate: Hot and Humid
Avg annual rainfall: 60.48"

worth1
Reactions:

Re: Sausage Poboys for supper!!

Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:40 pm

Fish sausage a presume. :)
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

PlainJane
Reactions:

Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:54 pm

Well now, the zucchini saves it lol!
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

brownrexx
Reactions:

Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:31 am

Looks yummy. I always cook a nice vegetable when we eat something like that too. No potato chips or french fries.

Nan6b
Reactions:

Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:33 am

What makes it a Po'boy?

brownrexx
Reactions:

Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:46 am

[mention]Nan6b[/mention] I also wondered that in another thread a while ago and I think that we just call them "subs" .

[mention]Rajun Gardener[/mention] do you have "subs" in the South?

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:58 pm

No true southerner would ever call a Po' Boy a sub sandwich.
Cant figure out for the life of me how Subway ever got a foot hold here.
Restaurant called Threadgill's in Austin makes one hell of a good seafood Po' boy and if you're lucky like me you might even find a pearl in one like I did.
Been eating there on and off for the better part of my life.
Truly an Austin original.
https://www.threadgills.com/history
Menu.
https://www.threadgills.com/menu
Worth

Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:01 pm

worth1 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:58 pm No true southerner would ever call a Po' Boy a sub sandwich.
Cant figure out for the life of me how Subway ever got a foot hold here.

HAHA! I guess for me I grew up knowing them as a Po-boy and when Subs came out everywhere it was new. I do love me some Subway and most of those are healthier than fried foods in Po-Boys. I love a good cheesesteak too if it's done right, my best cheesesteak came from Virginia at http://tidewaterdrivephillysteaks.com/. They used thin sliced ribeyes and were the bomb!!!

I had to go to Goggle, here's the difference and it's the bread.

What's the difference between a Subway sandwich, a Po’ boy, a hoagie, a grinder and a hero sandwich? Are they all the same thing just from different regions, or is it the ingredients? How is it prepared? Differentiate by name/classification.

Answered May 12, 2018
A Subway sandwich is a sandwich from Subway, an American fast food restaurant that was founded in 1965 Fred DeLuca and Peter Buck. I think you’re asking about the submarine sandwich.

A submarine sandwich (also known as “sub”) is a long sandwich filled with an assortment of meats and/or cheeses. The shape of the sandwich somewhat resembles a submarine, especially if it is a footlong. Sub sandwiches can be served hot or cold. To be frank, the term sub is very broad because of the variations of ingredients and preparation. This is the most commonly used term in the United States to describe similar sandwiches.

A hoagie is basically the same thing as a submarine sandwich, however, its origin is Italian-American. The name was inspired by Hog Island, a shipyard in Philadelphia during World War I. Like subs, hoagies are filled with different meats and cheeses such as ham, salami, and provolone. Originally, this sandwich was called a “hoggie”, but eventually became known as a hoagie.

Instead of sub or hoagie, New York uses the name hero to describe the same sandwich. A long roll stuffed with meat, cheese, and vegetables.

Grinders are hot sandwiches; its name is typically heard in the New England region of the United States. The original grinder used tough Italian bread (hence its namesake) and meatballs, chicken, or sausage are commonly found in these sandwiches. Even though grinders are served hot, there are people in the region that use the term to describe both hot and cold sandwiches.

A Po’ Boy is similar, but not the same as the other sandwiches listed. The sandwich’s roots began in Louisiana. It is made with French bread (known as a baguette) and filled with seafood. Shrimp, crab, and crawfish are just some known ingredients that are commonly used in a Po’Boy. There are non-seafood Po’Boys such as roast beef or sausage. All sandwiches are served hot. Other ingredients that are typically added are tomatoes, lettuce, mayonnaise, and pickles. Afterwards, remoulade sauce or a dark brown gravy is used to to finish the sandwich. Some people like to add Louisiana-style hot sauce! There are other variations in other parts of the South, but this is the traditional way.

Hope this helps!

brownrexx
Reactions:

Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:53 pm

Never had a Po' Boy but it sure sounds good! Philly cheese steaks are from my part of the world and I prefer a chicken cheese steak.

MissS
Reactions:

Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:36 pm

I too have never had a Po'Boy and they sure do sound good. I would love to try one. I am glad that you made the distinction between Subway and a Sub sandwich because Subway is a chain and in no way makes the best sub sandwiches that I have had. I love subs, hoagies and grinders but best of all is a Chicago Italian Beef.
~ Patti ~

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:50 am

There used to be a really cranky Italian guy in Austin that made the best Italian meatball sub in town.
Along with pizza and such.
A foot long had 12 giant meatballs on it.
He sold the place and the new owners cut the meatballs in half and started selling egg roles.
Worth

brownrexx
Reactions:

Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:43 am

If you Southerners think that Subway is a real sub then you have never had a sub.

Subway is OK but for real subs we go to the local pizza joints where some make the rolls from pizza dough and bake then onsite. Yum.

I was recently on vacation in Key Largo and we stopped by a local restaurant for lunch. We were getting a little tired of seafood at every meal so we ordered their version of Philly Cheese steaks. Hubby had beef and I had chicken and both were excellent. They were made on really soft, long rolls and they added grilled onions and peppers on top of the grilled meat.A really good cheese (not American) was melted over all. They were fabulous and tasted so fresh.

"Real" Philly Cheese steaks do not have peppers, just onions and some versions use Cheese Whiz liquid cheese but around here it is mostly American cheese.

In PA Dutch country where I live they put pizza sauce on the sandwich too. When I first moved here I thought that it was weird but I have come to like it so I order my cheese steaks "with sauce and onions" like a local now.

Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:41 am

We know Subway is fast food and not the real deal. There's a few places known for Po=Boys/Subs, Olde Tyme Grocery is probably the best in town and most recognized but Chris' is also good. I goggled Po-Boys in Lafayette, we have a few places. :lol:
image.png
I found this old pic and I think I'm making shrimp Po=Boys for supper.
100_2934.JPG
100_2935.JPG
100_2936.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

brownrexx
Reactions:

Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:00 am

That looks really good, like a sub we would get here at home but NOT at Subway. We do have Subway's here and they are popular but I consider them to be sandwiches, not subs.

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:33 am

If someone wants to est at subway all I will order is the meatball sandwich.
Haven't been there in years.
Worth

Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:41 am

Oh Yeah!! It happened.
100_5872.JPG
100_5873.JPG
100_5874.JPG
100_5875.JPG
100_5876.JPG
100_5877.JPG
100_5878.JPG
100_5879.JPG
100_5881.JPG
100_5882.JPG
100_5883.JPG

brownrexx
Reactions:

Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:04 am

Is that a shrimp Po'Boy or a SLT sandwich? It looks really good!

Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:30 am

Yes!! :lol: :lol:

Lonejack
Reactions:

Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:29 am

What no mud bugs :?:

There's a cajun/creole joint in Kansas City called Jazz that serves several different po'boys but my favorite is the crawfish. Their voodoo wings are excellent too. Everything I've had is great but I think my favorite is the Chicken a la Mer especially when it's half price on Tuesday.

Jazz - A Louisiana Kitchen - https://www.jazzkitchen.com/
Kansas City, zone 6a

wildcat62
Reactions:

Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:27 am

We like Subway but they have a long ways to go with what's posted here. Making my mouth water. :D

Return to “BBQ/Grilling & Smoking”