Site Moderation - Have your Say!

bower
Reactions:

Site Moderation - Have your Say!

Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:14 pm

We have received a few complaints about threads that have been deleted, and decided that some public discussion is needed, about the kind of moderation that members want to see.

Both of the threads that we decided to remove contained comments about unfair treatment on our parent site Tomatoville. We have a special relationship with T'ville. This is where our community formed and got to know one another for many years, a space that was graciously provided to us free of charge. We are all grateful for the good times we enjoyed there, no matter what grievances have arisen over time. This site was started in response to the news that T'ville was shutting down, as a place for our community to regroup. Since the decision to close was reconsidered, many members are intending to participate in both sites. If our site is full of threads that sharply criticize the Ville, it may cross the line of the strict terms of service for that site, so that dual membership may become no longer possible. We don't want that to happen.
OTOH we don't want our members to feel that legitimate or necessary discussions are being shut down, either.

So I am starting this thread to invite member discussion of the kind of moderation you would like and would not like, here at the Junction. In this thread, you can use examples of good or bad moderation in any other forum, to illustrate how you would or would not like this site to be run. If you have grievances from other forums than this one, feel free to air them here as part of a constructive discussion. Your input will be used to shape the site policy for moderators.

One word of caution before you post, please see the first rule of conduct which we voted and agreed on, that is, no personal attacks or Flaming. Please apply that rule to anyone you may mention from another forum, including Tville, and keep the theme of the moderation policy or practice as the subject, not the person who did something that displeased (or pleased) you. TIA!
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Re: Site Moderation - Have your Say!

Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:26 pm

If not doing it already, I would love it if you or any mods contacted a person by pm to let them know you are deleting/have deleted a post and why. That's the courteous thing to do. Doesn't stop the post from being deleted, just acknowledges the person it's happening to.
I another forum I have had posts deleted before, but the mod doing it was courteous and explained why, and I always understood, usually agreed, and no hard feelings developed.
- Marsha

Spike
Reactions:

Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:28 pm

JMHO but flame threads, threads started basically to start drama, people being nasty to each other etc. need to be deleted instantly. The thread offenders need a PM putting them in "time out" so to speak. First offense, a warning shot. Second offense, no posting or PMs for a week. Third offense, banned.

Yes I am sick of forum drama. Simply using my husband's football forum as my example. He tried to keep peace and keep everyone happy. Didn't work even though they were supposed to be adults. He put the smack down Down and yes a few people left (see ya shoo) and now everyone follows the rules of respect and gets along.
There is freedom waiting for you, On the breezes of the sky, And you ask 'What if I fall?' Oh but my darling, What if you fly?

goodloe
Reactions:

Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:34 pm

Yes [mention]Ginger2778[/mention] , I totally agree. That approach certainly circumvents a lot of misunderstanding, and heartburn...
I have 2 seasons: Tomato and pepper season, and BAMA Football season!

Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:57 pm

Ginger2778 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:26 pm If not doing it already, I would love it if you or any mods contacted a person by pm to let them know you are deleting/have deleted a post and why. That's the courteous thing to do. Doesn't stop the post from being deleted, just acknowledges the person it's happening to.
I another forum I have had posts deleted before, but the mod doing it was courteous and explained why, and I always understood, usually agreed, and no hard feelings developed.
Thanks for bringing that up, it's gonna be a rule now. I didn't think about it till you mentioned it. I thought with all the comments posted the message was clear why it was deleted but I can see your point.

Consider it done, Mrs. Rule Maker!!! :lol:
Zone: 9A
Climate: Hot and Humid
Avg annual rainfall: 60.48"

bower
Reactions:

Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:06 pm

Rules for moderators... LIKE!!! :D
temperate marine climate

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:39 pm

Mrs. Rule Maker? Moi?!🤣
- Marsha

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:07 pm

Sub forum and forum moderators can make or break a forum.
They cant insert their personal views likes and dislikes into the forum rules.
They have to be objective not subjective and they must be accountable.
I have more but not now.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

bjbebs
Reactions:

Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:15 am

Just read the rules, modifications, suggestions, etc. All is good as long as communication lines remain open. When people spout off inappropriately it's usually not malicious. We just don't think things through. Being opinionated can be good or not. Count me amongst this group. I've stuck my foot in so often I don't even bother cleaning it anymore.

bower
Reactions:

Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:30 am

worth1 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:07 pm Sub forum and forum moderators can make or break a forum.
They cant insert their personal views likes and dislikes into the forum rules.
They have to be objective not subjective and they must be accountable.
I have more but not now.
Thanks Worth. :) Being fair obviously is the goal in moderation, and goes without saying. I think these issues have been addressed by having enough moderators and a good and balanced team that talks things through.
temperate marine climate

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:05 pm

I know this is a difficult topic. I was disappointed to see that thread go not because of my own post but because you censored something else that seemed important. In other words, it seemed insensitive to say ‘hey, let’s enjoy both sites’ when some people are banned or cannot even log in anymore without being rerouted to that UNFUNNY, CRUDE link. That would make me mad if that happened to me. It even makes me mad when it happens to others.

I do think it is a good idea to tell people you are censoring them— they could maybe sanitize their post to be acceptable. :)
"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker

MissS
Reactions:

Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:18 pm

MsCowpea the reason the thread was removed is so that those that wish to, can continue to enjoy being members of both sites. The thread in question was becoming a place to bash TV. We don't want that happening here because if we do that then all or some of us may lose our privileges there. We are trying to protect our members from being banned at the other site. While our reasoning was posted why we did not wish to have those types of comments here, people kept posting negative comments. That is the reason that the thread was removed. We can not solve the problems at that site, so please don't bring them over here, take them to the people there whose job it is to help them. It's just that simple.
~ Patti ~

bower
Reactions:

Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:30 pm

OTOH Ms Cowpea This thread is the place to say exactly as you did. ;) I agree, and I will say also that changing a banned person's avatar or location to something insulting, is another type of treatment I don't like to see. I would not like to see that on this site. I belong to another forum where some members have been banned, but their avatars and legitimate comments remained unchanged. That is a better way to set the standard of mutual respect, IMO.
temperate marine climate

Spike
Reactions:

Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:40 pm

Oh for crying out loud. I think this is pretty simple. Do NOT bash any other sites. If you do, expect your thread to be deleted. You have an issue with another site? DO NOT GO THERE. sheesh If your avatar is changed? Change it back or don't log back on cause logging on can be checked >,<

Sorry. I will just shut up now and go read a different thread.
There is freedom waiting for you, On the breezes of the sky, And you ask 'What if I fall?' Oh but my darling, What if you fly?

Shule
Reactions:

Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:39 am

This is to support what those I quoted said (not to argue against them).

Rule #1 is 'No personal attacks or flaming.'

[mention]Bower[/mention]
… and I will say also that changing a banned person's avatar or location to something insulting, is another type of treatment I don't like to see. …
Insulting is a personal attack.

[mention]Spike[/mention]
… Do NOT bash any other sites. …
Bashing other sites is a form of flaming.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

hdrider
Reactions:

Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:45 am

Some sites I have been on the moderators had separate accounts for performing their duties so that no one could get mad at a particular user for doing so. The let's call them Pro accounts that had separate names different than the actual user account. Again this is pertaining to a group of mainly supposed adults and should not be needed, but in certain circumstances has saved friendships when others disagreed with the moderator.

The site admin was not to be bothered with everyday problems by members but still retained the final word on all occasions. There were two levels of moderators and only moderators were to escalate things to the admin level.

Again if everyone acted like the adults they are supposed to be, this might not be necessary. The above circumstances were on fairly large sites that included people of all ages including teenagers and anyone under 13 that lied about their age so things did get messy at times. The ban hammer wasn't used often but was used.

For the most part, things at our former home did not get too out of hand and I don't think they will here either.
Tracy

Conjunction junction what's your function - whoops wrong place!

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:20 pm

I have chewed on what to say for a very long time.
Typed stuff out and deleted it.
None of it bad and much of it I and many others would consider humorous.
Things like being told to act like an adult.
I was told to do this at a young age if around 11 or 12.
You need to grow up and act like an adult.
From my perspective from what I saw on television and the movies in the 60's, 'I started drinking alcohol, cussing, smoking, gambling and kissing girls.
So be careful when you tell a kid to start acting like an adult.

((((Tongue in cheek here folks.))))
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

MissS
Reactions:

Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:34 pm

I was wondering when we would hear from you.
Hmm, for you, act like a kid here okay...
~ Patti ~

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:47 pm

Bower wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:30 pm changing a banned person's avatar or location to something insulting, is another type of treatment I don't like to see. I would not like to see that on this site.
I know what you are talking about, and I agree. My opinion is that is a good way to get sued, and lose.

Alex
Reactions:

Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:28 pm

Some people use PM to sh*t on others, while pretending to be nice on the public posts. Is there something that can be done about that?

We're not allowed to discuss our pm, we're not allowed to comment on others' bad behaviors. How about a "no a**hole" rule that if a user gets enough complaints with proof of personal abuse we boot them out?

Return to “Suggestions/Complaints/Report Problems”