Site Moderation - Have your Say!

Nan6b
Reactions:

Re: Site Moderation - Have your Say!

Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:54 pm

Does the "foes" button keep someone from PM-ing you?

Nan6b
Reactions:

Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:57 pm

Alex, try to PM me now. I've put you on my "foes" list just to test out this theory.

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:08 pm

Back in the old country you couldn't put a moderator or coordinator on the ignore list.
I tried for an experiment.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

pondgardener
Reactions:
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:16 pm

Reporting negative posts as well as PM's would be a place to start as well, as the Moderator team would have some record of questionable behavior and possibly start by issuing a mild warning to the culprit(s). And sometimes it is best to just think about what the intent a PM or post has before reacting too strongly and regretting it later. But if you feel someone is being abusive to you or someone else, then let the Moderators know.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Nan6b
Reactions:

Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:16 pm

If a moderator is harassing you, make it known to Rajun or another moderator.

Nan6b
Reactions:

Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:18 pm

I wonder if Alex is coming back? Worth, let me put you on my foes list for an experiment. Wait 1 minute and try to pm me.

MissS
Reactions:

Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:21 pm

You may have to log out and back in for the changes to take place on your control panel.
~ Patti ~

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:27 pm

Nan6b wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:16 pm If a moderator is harassing you, make it known to Rajun or another moderator.
No moderator or whatever was harassing me.
I just experiment all the time, its in may nature to break the rules explore and go outside the lines :)
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Nan6b
Reactions:

Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:29 pm

Worth, try to PM me now; I've experimentally put you on my ignore list.

Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:30 pm

I started this post and others posted confirming the same thing before I finished but since I went through the motions here it is.

Alex wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:28 pm Some people use PM to sh*t on others, while pretending to be nice on the public posts. Is there something that can be done about that?

We're not allowed to discuss our pm, we're not allowed to comment on others' bad behaviors. How about a "no a**hole" rule that if a user gets enough complaints with proof of personal abuse we boot them out?
We addressed that exact thing in the rules and we know the rules say you can't discuss PM's on the forum, That's to protect everyone's privacy, PM's are confidential and should be treated as such. You can comment on others' behavior anytime you feel someone crossed the line in a confidential PM to any Mod, that's the preferred method and keeps it out of the public view to get more comments.
If something like that happens(nasty PM's) it's easy to copy and paste it in a PM to a Mod and we will handle it according to the rules. When I say "We will handle it" that means as soon as a Mod gets the message. The rules apply to the forum and PM's are on the forum.

I made rules easy to find, it's in the top header and always one click away. Here's the rules that apply to PM's

Forum Rules
1. No personal attacks or Flaming.
2. No politics or religion. Everything is political these days but Please refrain from starting or replying to posts that are controversial. IF it affects you personally and you feel the need to share Please be sensitive to everyone else. You always have the option of discussing it in PM's.
3. No racism or sexism. Also applies to PM's and remember this isn't a dating site.
4. Do not post Members personal details including but not limited to phone numbers, address, email, social media or websites without prior and explicit permission.
5. Do not mention, post or discuss confidential conversations with other members.
6. No obscene pics. Jokes can get dirty so use good judgement. Kids may be learning from us so keep it clean.
7. No derailing of threads especially with negative comments.
8. Do not respond if it upsets you, just scroll on. Don't ruin everyone's day because you're having a bad one.
9. Threats will result in an immediate permaban.
10. Do not cross post, post in the appropriate topic and wait for an answer. Someone will respond.

These rules are based on common sense and will be lightly enforced. We are all adults, respect everyone even if you disagree.

If a moderator or admin finds you have crossed the line, you'll get a warning or banned.
The result is at the discretion of the moderating team. It can be from one month of not allowed to post or permanent, you decide when you click that mouse.
Zone: 9A
Climate: Hot and Humid
Avg annual rainfall: 60.48"

Nan6b
Reactions:

Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:32 pm

Dang. I can't see your texts unless I hit Display, but you can still PM me.

Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:40 pm

Nan6b wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:32 pm Dang. I can't see your texts unless I hit Display, but you can still PM me.
It doesn't stop PM's for some reason. I don't think it'll be an issue, we'll handle it like any other situation.
Zone: 9A
Climate: Hot and Humid
Avg annual rainfall: 60.48"

bower
Reactions:

Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:42 pm

Just so you all know, the moderators here are volunteers from the community. We've been busy behind the scenes mostly helping to test features and get the setup all straight. I expect our community to be self moderating to the 99.99% once we are settled in and have had these necessary discussions about how everyone would like to see it run.

There are two sides of 'self moderating' - one is handling the minor miscommunications, as bjbebs said "All is good as long as communication lines remain open. When people spout off inappropriately it's usually not malicious." I couldn't agree more. I have offended people unintentionally from time to time, and the best thing to do when you realize that happened is to apologize and set your intentions straight. I also have had misunderstandings with people I didn't know well, who turned out to be fantastic folks I came to hold in high regard. So that is the first part of 'self moderating', and well worth it for the good relationships that come from being tolerant, considerate, and open to reconsider our own or someone else's words.

The second part - its up to the general members to flag anything that needs a moderator's attention. Don't fester about stuff that you haven't resolved! which no one may have seen or noticed. Think of the moderators as resource people who can help, and your part is to bring it to us. Personally I hope to check in once a day, read and post about gardening, and check for any issue that needs my input. Issues that do come up should hopefully get attention within 24 hours, and not have disruptions that drag on without being resolved.

A third thing about self-moderating, I guess, is the fact that moderators are volunteers who are part of the community, we continue to invite everyone to have input into the rules, how issues are managed, etc and at some point when I have done my part for example, and am ready to step down, someone else will be asked to volunteer and represent the community as a moderator. That's how I would like to see it. :)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Spike
Reactions:

Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:05 pm

Nan6b wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:16 pm If a moderator is harassing you, make it known to Rajun or another moderator.
32c176edb8a12eab9ab3debf57516863.gif

I am too amusing :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There is freedom waiting for you, On the breezes of the sky, And you ask 'What if I fall?' Oh but my darling, What if you fly?

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:48 pm

Who are the moderators?
Last edited by MsCowpea on Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker

MissS
Reactions:

Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:01 pm

Take a look down at the bottom of the page. Click on "The team".
~ Patti ~

Nan6b
Reactions:

Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:06 pm

The bottom of the page on "Board Index" page.

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:19 pm

What does ‘ignore’ list mean? Where is that? From what Nan said above I presume ‘Foe‘ means you can’t see their posts. So do people know they have been ‘ignored‘ or ‘foed’?
I am not FB literate-I presume this is similar to FB. Wish they would call it something other than ‘foe’. What does checking ‘friend’ do?
"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker

pondgardener
Reactions:
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:25 pm

Go to your control panel and look at the Friends/Foe area and as you manage either one, it will describe a little more what each function does. The Foe designation will not show posts from people you designate as such. And the Friend selection will supposedly highlight your Friends posts, although I have not put anyone in those categories to check it out.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Shule
Reactions:

Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:45 pm

Rajun Gardener wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:40 pm
Nan6b wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:32 pm … I can't see your texts unless I hit Display, but you can still PM me.
It doesn't stop PM's for some reason. I don't think it'll be an issue, we'll handle it like any other situation.
There is a way to stop them, but it's not just by adding people to your foes list. You can configure your inbox to delete messages from specific users. Go to Private Messages. Then click the link entitled 'Rules, folders, and settings'. Follow the prompts to do 'If sender'->'is foe'->'delete message'. Of course, the people may still think you read the message, unless it remains in their outbox, but you won't see it.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Return to “Suggestions/Complaints/Report Problems”