site set up

Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Re: site set up

Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:46 pm

Bower wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:39 pm Rajun, this is so awesome! 8-) I hate to ask for one more thing, but could we have a subforum for Garlic and Onions? :oops: It was one of the best parts of the old T'ville - such a great group of allium growers. I had a look around the internet for garlic forums and there isn't anything that comes close. No rush, but whenever you have time it would be a great thing to add. :)
Yes we can, I'll do that in a few minutes and move Worth's post there too.

I want everyone to feel free to ask and make suggestions, I'll make it happen if it benefits the community.
Zone: 9A
Climate: Hot and Humid
Avg annual rainfall: 60.48"

pondgardener
Reactions:

Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:07 pm

Referring back to other posters concern about a "ignore" function, if there is a member that you would rather not read their posts, you can also click on their profile and you can click on "Foe", and their posts are hidden by default according to FAQ's.

And if you feel someone is getting out of line or has posted something inflammatory, then contact the administrator/moderators to have them look at the post and they can get it removed to avoid members taking up sides.

eyegrotom
Reactions:

Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:42 pm

Hi Rob I don't mean to be a pain. I have included a picture of what I see when I click on new post
As you can see it only shows who did the last post not who was the original one
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:57 pm

That's weird.

I just cleared the website cache, try it now and if that doesn't work try to log out, refresh the page and log back in. Let me know the results.

eyegrotom
Reactions:

Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:25 pm

Hi Rob well the mystery is sort of solved. I went on to my laptop and it works like the one you posted however on my tablet and also my phone it looks like the picture I sent you I usually visit the site on my tablet occasionally with my phone hardly ever on my laptop. I don't know not much about computers etc to know if that's how it works thanks again Mike

arnorrian
Reactions:

Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:31 pm

Rajun Gardener wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:37 pm
wildcat62 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:22 pm
arnorrian wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:38 am Rajun, may I propose a new header picture?

http://fotkica.com/imgs3/1_63043291_logo.jpg
That is sharp.
I was just about to ask for pics for the header, I don't know how I missed the post. Thanks to both of ya'll!!
It looks distorted and blurry. I made it to be the same size as the header. Is there a specific image size that is needed? I can make it again.
Climate: Cfa
USDA hardiness zone: 7a
Elevation: 140 m

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:31 pm

worth1 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:58 pm When the little bird on the left turns black and there are no multiple page buttons on the right it is impulsive for me to open that section with my phone.
the section gets lighter but it refuses to open.
This is driving me nuts.
I figured it out.
When the bird or what ever it is turns black it is no longer an active link.
If it is red it is active.
The only part of the post or thread that is active it the title not the whole thing.
I was on my phone and I couldn't tell what was going on with my fat thumb.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:35 pm

arnorrian wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:31 pm
Rajun Gardener wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:37 pm
wildcat62 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:22 pm

That is sharp.
I was just about to ask for pics for the header, I don't know how I missed the post. Thanks to both of ya'll!!
It looks distorted and blurry. I made it to be the same size as the header. Is there a specific image size that is needed? I can make it again.
I noticed that too, it's blown up too much and off centered.
It's the code in the software, I'll try to get that resolved.

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:30 pm

My input for the new site is as follows, right now:
• Have a dedicated watermelon forum that you don’t have to dig around to find (there literally isn’t one anywhere on the Internet except bigpumpkins.com and my site, as far as I’ve found)
• Have a dedicated C. melo forum (although these exist on some sites, they’re not common enough). I refer to C. melo as muskmelons, but most other people just call them melons. The problem with that is sometimes they're grouped inseparably with watermelons (if you want to keep them separate). I would understand if you just had one forum for both, and called it Melons, though.
• You could put Watermelon, C. melo, Squash, Cucumbers, etc. under a Cucurbits forum (to save space on the main page).
• Allow people to freely talk about other gardening websites, seed stores, and gardening communities (even if they own them), as long as they’re not trying to turn people away from this site. I think this would be good for everyone, and make the site feel more welcoming. I think it’s good to allow exchange of information like this, as long as it’s on-topic and useful (and doesn’t make you look like a spambot).
• For some odd reason, people love to talk about beans. So, if a bean forum exists, it will probably get used, and attract new members. I don’t currently post about beans much anywhere, personally, though. I’m okay if there’s no bean forum (but it might attract more new members).
• Make sure the forum menus are easy to read when the colors are inverted. I’m light-sensitive; so, I invert the colors of most websites to make the screen less bright. While black text on a red background is very readable, I find white text on a cyan background (that’s the inverse) very difficult to see.
• If you make a hierarchical forum structure as you talked about, make sure you have a way to see posts in sub-forums without actually going directly to the sub-forums—if possible, anyway. I mean, have a forum view that compiles all the sub-forum (as well as sub-sub-forum, etc.) posts and says which forum each post is in (with a link to that forum beside it). Nabble accomplishes this with its Topics View, if you want to see what I mean. You can do a lot more complexity that way, without making it difficult for deep posts to be seen (even if they're not recent).
• Make the connection secure all the time (for logging in). It’s a little unsettling getting those warnings when I click to log in.
• I would personally make Cross-talk, Dwarf Projects, and Micro Thread sub-forums of the Tomatoes forum, unless they’re about more than tomatoes. I’m not sure what others think, of course.
• There’s no place to talk about strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, gooseberries, and currants in some people’s minds. Although technically they can be considered vegetables, most people seem to consider cold-hardy perennial fruiting plants to be fruit, even if they’re not trees. So, I might suggest changing Fruit Trees to simply Fruit, or Perennial Fruit. Then you could make sub-forums for more specific stuff, if desired.
• Add mini-profile fields for elevation, hardiness zone, climate, tradelists, etc. Without this feature, we can still add such to our signatures, though.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:41 pm

THanks!!

This is the feedback I was looking for and I'll start making changes. I might be bugging you for advise too. Thanks again!!

bower
Reactions:

Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:05 pm

Rajun, it dawned on me just now that the name "Cross Talk" may be too close to the name of the subforum on T'ville. Those names were all copyrighted. Just to be safe and not draw any ire, I would change it if I were you. Crossing talk? Tomato breeding? Tomato crosses? Or whatever else. Maybe it is not too close, Cole may give you better advice on any copyright issues. I just don't want to see any trouble on that account. :?
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:31 pm

Done!

PhilaGardener
Reactions:

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:10 pm

Any interest in being able to tag users in a message? For example, I just responded to Rajun's post in the Beans section and tried to use @Rajun Gardener to generate a notification but that didn't seem to work. Just a thought.
Gardening near Philadelphia (USA)

Nan6b
Reactions:

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:16 pm

One thing I liked & used at TV was seeing what state the poster was from.

Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:32 pm

PhilaGardener wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:10 pm Any interest in being able to tag users in a message? For example, I just responded to Rajun's post in the Beans section and tried to use @Rajun Gardener to generate a notification but that didn't seem to work. Just a thought.
I can check on that but you can also tag people if you give a thumbs up/thanks. They get a notification and can see where it's from. You can also check your "My Post" tab in Quick Links.

It's installed, type @ and start typing the name, it should pop up.

Like this? [mention]PhilaGardener[/mention]
[mention]worth1[/mention] [mention]Bower[/mention] [mention]Nan6b[/mention] [mention]GoDawgs[/mention] [mention]pondgardener[/mention]

Just to let people know this option is available now to tag members of a topic they might be interested in. Super simple, it shows up in your notifications in the header.

Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:41 pm

Nan6b wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:16 pm One thing I liked & used at TV was seeing what state the poster was from.
[mention]Nan6b[/mention] Users have to set that in their profile and should also set the correct time zone so we all know when they posted. It's also a good idea to make a signature with growing zone.
Those three things makes answering questions a little easier.

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:43 pm

[mention]Rajun Gardener[/mention] [mention]Nan6b[/mention]
I notice that my mini-profile doesn't show up on my Kindle Fire, but it says my location that I configured on my desktop computer.

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:47 pm

[mention]Nan6b[/mention] While you're waiting, if you're using a mobile device, you can add your location to your signature. That's what people do on some forums.

Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:09 pm

Sorry for the downtime, I tried to load a translation feature to the mentions/tag system and it didn't work.

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:17 pm

[mention]Rajun Gardener[/mention] Ah good! I thought perhaps my attempted post in the new watermelon forum broke it! ;)

Return to “Suggestions/Complaints/Report Problems”