Seminole pumpkins

BigVanVader
Reactions:

Re: Seminole pumpkins

Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:48 am

I've actually been trying to find seeds for this for weeks now. If anyone has extra or knows of a site I can order some from, please let me know. If someone does have seeds I have lots of things I can trade, just let me know.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:52 am

I have grown these several times, since all I can grow are moschata squash, and they grew well, and stored very well - I had one store just over 2 seasons in the basement, just to see. However, I like butternuts better, because of the increased amount of flesh in them - these only have about 1" thick all around the 5-6" squash. However, many butternuts I have grown did not store well - Polaris is my favorite, though it is a hybrid. I just dried my last 2 polaris butternuts from 2018; Seminole pumpkin stored that well, when I grew it.

I didn't get quite as many squash per plant with the SP, though the plants can get very long, and one time it grew up one of my trellises, and it got to over 30' long, just on that part, and it seemed to produce more that way. The weight of the squash didn't seem to bother it - the stems just got thicker! That was the last year I saved seeds - 2015. Amazingly, when I used these seeds this last year in an experiment, using GA-3, every seed germinated, in both the treated and untreated groups! The GA-3 treated germinated faster, but all eventually sprouted.

I like that idea of crossing butternut with SP!

Update - after posting this, and being out in my garden and looking at a new (to me) variety of squash I planted - South Anna Butternut - I remembered the description of it, when I ordered it - it's a stbilized cross between SP and Waltham Butternut! Time will tell...
https://www.southernexposure.com/produc ... er-squash/
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Tracydr
Reactions:

Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:12 pm

I grew them last year and now they have volunteered. Made the best pumpkin pie ever and the seeds are plump,delicious for roasting. I still have a 6 pounder and a smaller one in storage from last year. They store a long time if you wipe them with Clorox solution.
They are impervious to squash bugs and caterpillars. They get infested and keep on growing. I call mine Seymour and he’s back from last year. Grows on the compost pile. The horses and goats ignore him as he climbs along my garden fence and across any ground available. They are space hogs but very productive and delicious.
I started with seed from Southern Exposure for “large Seminole pumpkin”.

Tracydr
Reactions:

Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:14 pm

BigVanVader wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:48 am I've actually been trying to find seeds for this for weeks now. If anyone has extra or knows of a site I can order some from, please let me know. If someone does have seeds I have lots of things I can trade, just let me know.
I’d be happy to send you some seeds. PM your address to me.

Return to “Pumpkins”