Cold Black Brandy tomato

Shule
Reactions:

Cold Black Brandy tomato

Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:05 pm

I started a thread about this on TV, but I can't post there anymore, and there are new people here that might have insights.

Anyway, has anyone here grown the Cold Black Brandy tomato? I'm growing the F4, this year, which I received from Tormato years ago. So far, this is what it's like:

It's PL, and the plant isn't large. It's kind of slow-growing, so far (not sure if that's how it always is, or if it's the soil). It has set two fruits, so far, with more flowers getting ready to set, I think; the fruits appear to be growing to be large pear-shaped tomatoes similar to Japanese Black Trifele's (Japanese Black Trifele has a larger plant with more fruit, though, but the fruit looks the same so far). CBB is not a small pear, by the look of it.

Tormato said on TV that it was a saladette suited to cooler weather, and he mentioned how the plant size wasn't big. He should be able to discover more in time.

I only know two other PL pear tomatoes, offhand (Medovaya Kaplya and Japanese Black Trifele).
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Re: Cold Black Brandy tomato

Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:03 am

Your Cold Black Brandy sounds very interesting. It would be wonderful to have a black that likes our climate here in southeast Wyoming
Wyoming
Zone 5
Elevation : 6,063 ft
Climate : semi-arid
Avg annual rainfall = 16 inches

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:51 am

Here's my first ripe fruit from the Cold Black Brandy tomato. The fruit seems to be brownish pink, or pinkish brown. It's about the same size and shape as Japanese Black Trifele, but I think the fruits may be a lot firmer. It's producing pretty well considering the slow start. It seems to vine decently far. Taste report pending.
IMG_20200803_234115.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:43 am

Okay, here's what I thought of the taste/texture: They were both phenomenal. The taste and texture is a lot like a really good tomato I had once (not from my garden) that I think was Brandywine, except Cold Black Brandy also has somewhat of a smoky taste, and somewhat of that Pink Cheeks sort of taste added in. The texture seems softer when eating it than I expected, considering the firmness of the fruit. I vastly prefer the flavor to Japanese Black Trifele's earlier this year, actually. I might actually grow it again next year.

Anyway, it tastes like it would be a crowd pleaser tomato. I would describe the taste and texture as high quality. It's well balanced.

It wasn't mealy at all.

Here's a picture of it cut into two pieces:
IMG_20200804_001932.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:51 am

Sounds like a tomato well worth following up. JBT is very good here and. A tomato it's equal or better would be worth growing

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:43 am

[mention]Tormato[/mention]
Is Cold Black Brandy supposed to be a pear shape?

[mention]Whwoz[/mention]
I like the taste and firmness of Cold Black Brandy most, so far, but Japanese Black Trifele seems to be the better and earlier producer (with a smaller plant). I plan to grow both again. This is my first time growing both.

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:47 am

My Cold Black Brandy tomato plant has flatted globes for fruit, this year (I think they're ribbed); a few of the fruit might be blunt hearts or blunt pears (if there's such a thing), but most aren't. I'm not sure if that's because it was unstable to begin with or because it crossed with something in my garden in 2020. Knowledge of which fruit shape is dominant would help there (pear or flattened globe).

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:37 pm

Cold Black Brandy F4 was sent into the experimental category of the MMMM swap in 2015 by Linda10 (@Tomatoville). It's from a cross of Black Brandywine.

Return to “Open Pollinated/Tomatoes of Yesteryear”