Russian Purple or vice verca :)

Nannon
Reactions:

Re: Russian Purple or vice verca :)

Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:14 pm

I can feel the snows bitterness in the wind today. It’s cold! And blowing a gale.

I’ve only been down here for a few years now, but prior to that was up around Mackay and further north. I never bothered growing tomatoes over the summer up there since the humidity would cause fungal issues and the heat would stop all pollination if you were lucky enough to get flowers. I’m still working out best grow times for down here. Mid summer really knocks the plants around with the 45°C west winds.

You’re right, that does give the van a good rap!

I haven’t worried about the powdery mildew since these are last summers tomatoes, and they are in pots. I’m surprised they’ve even lasted this long. If I get any mildew in the next plant out I’ll give them a dose as suggested.

Volvo
Reactions:

Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:51 am

Maybe if you had your seedlings growing indoors and plantout around September you might be in the race for a good season with Tomatos??.
Being on the Coast there maybe even a tad earlier maybe??..

Nannon
Reactions:

Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:25 am

I’ve got seeds planted inside and I’m just waiting for them to pop up. I was a bit late and only planted them last week. I’m trying out some of the dwarf project seeds and have a lot of hope for them. Hopefully I get something out of them before the hot summer winds take them out.

I also got impatient and bought some seedlings from the big green shed haha. I can’t seem to resist when they look so damn healthy and lush. I’ve got Blue Berry and Tigerella as well as Big Brandy and Genuwine hybrids planted in the ground to see how they go. So for they seem to be holding up ok against the August winds.
By the time the seeds pop up and are big enough the brassicas should be done and I can put the toms into that spot in the garden. Whatever is left will have to go in pots on the balcony.

Volvo
Reactions:

Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:06 pm

Mate PM me your addy and i will send you some seed that i have saved to date if you like . Those Blueberry will grow like the bejayzyus if you allow them with thick stems/body and you must let them brown around their butt before picking and the taste is up there .
Tigerrella i grew early 2000's and didnt come up trumps for me up this way at all.
Big Brandy ??, arent sure of but if its related to the Brandywine in any nature it should be a good taster.
Cheers and happy planting .

Nannon
Reactions:

Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:33 pm

Big brandy is a cross between New Big Dwarf and Brandywine while Genuwine is a cross between Costuloto Genovese and Brandywine. Both should produce something pretty tasty :)

Thanks heaps for the seed offer. I’ve already got Blueberry seeds, just was impatient and had had a bad day so bought the seedling as well! Good to know I’ll have to keep them in check. And not pick them early. Do they split easily?

Tigerella has been on my list of “try eventually” tomatoes. Hopefully it’s not too bad for me. Time will tell. Thanks for the well wishes. I hope you have luck with your summer planting experiment.

Volvo
Reactions:

Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:32 pm

Genuwine sounds interesting and let us know what the tastebuds make of it ey??. Havent had a Blueberrry split on me as yet , mindyou the only tomato ive had split was a Balck Plum Cherry from leaving on the vine too long as was hidden among the others but thats about it as we havent had a lot of rain this winter .
Acually lower than normal and my waterbill with my Council Rates proved that fer sure lol..

Volvo
Reactions:

Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:16 am

Could not wait !! , fruit 98% ripe n just had to slice into them lol and what can i say except that the taste was one to say they will be in next years grow list also.
Think that may have been the problemo with the first couple i picked , that i didnt leave them ripen enough and feel thats the secret with this variety.
Ripen to their full extent !!.

Return to “Open Pollinated/Tomatoes of Yesteryear”