Gary'O Sena

Fusion_power
Reactions:

Re: Gary'O Sena

Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:42 pm

"Bear Creek is supposed to be an oblate purple beefsteak with regular foliage"

And exceptionally good flavor. IMO, Bear Creek has better overall flavor genetics than Dora or Liz Birt and is on a par with Gary'O Sena.

If someone reported it as a cherry, it is definitely not Bear Creek.

JosephineRose
Reactions:

Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:02 pm

Fusion_power wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:00 am Spudatula aka Black From Tula PL originated in my garden in 2002 when I got seed for Black From Tula from Chuck Wyatt. A few of the seed produced potato leaf plants. I grew them out and eventually sent seed to Bill Malin (Spudleaf) who renamed it Spudatula. It is IMO an improvement over Black From Tula as it is more productive. Increasing production usually comes with a slight reduction in sweetness on a per fruit basis therefore the flavor may not be quite as sweet as Black From Tula. This is a generally true statement as most highly productive tomatoes have similar reduced sweetness.

The original Gary'O Sena tomato plants from seed Keith sent produced a few that made pink fruit. Per Keith, pink is not correct for this variety so I culled them and kept seed from the darker fruited plants.

If you can get hold of Bear Creek, you will find it is also a very good tomato with similar genetic history as Liz Birt and Gary'O Sena.

If you want to see pictures of fruit from the original plants, please look near the bottom of this page on my website. http://www.selectedplants.com/varieties.htm
Thank you for this information! Yes, it is the sweetness of a good black tomato I do love most. The BFT PL was super productive, but I enjoyed the regular BFT more for slicing and fresh eating. The PL added excellent flavor to my sauce, however.

I appreciate the notes on Bear Creek. I do have seed for it, I believe. Perhaps I need to make room for it on the grow list this year?
Melissa
Zone: 10A
Climate: Warm Summer Mediterranean
Avg annual rainfall: 23.96"

JosephineRose
Reactions:

Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:17 am

Hello all! Tried Bear Creek from my traded seed this season. I got a compact indeterminate (three ft - is this a dwarf?) with green-shouldered brown fruit. Not a heavy producer or exceptional taste. I don't think this is correct.

I'm thinking the seed may have been inadvertantly crossed?

My "O'Sena black" was a bust as well. I have found and purchased new seed for Gary'O Sena. Anyone know a seed source for Bear Creek? I'd like to try it again next season.
Melissa

bjbebs
Reactions:

Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:05 pm

Bear creek is a beast. Needs to be roped in. 10-14 oz. fruit with some up to a pound. This plant is in a good size tub, about 30 gal. Always a big producer. Best dark of the year, beating out Daniel Burson and NPS. I just took the picture after an inch rain. Will go into November, maybe.
Send me your address. Plenty of fresh seed.
20211013_125617.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JosephineRose
Reactions:

Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:31 pm

Yeah, that's what I thought it was supposed to be!

You are very generous. I will send a PM!
Melissa

Return to “Open Pollinated/Tomatoes of Yesteryear”