Amana Orange (Burrough's Strain) tomato

Shule
Reactions:

Amana Orange (Burrough's Strain) tomato

Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:50 pm

Sand Hill Preservation Center sells a tomato called Amana Orange (Burrough's Strain).

I've grown the regular Amana Orange (not Burrough's Strain), and I love the taste and the texture, as well as the firm fruits. It's my favorite large orange tomato for taste and texture, actually. It's just very good, and not like the others. It's supposed to be more resistant to cracking, too, and have more uniform fruits. The original doesn't seem crack-prone, to me, though.

Unfortunately, the regular Amana Orange has not been prolific for me. I read that Burrough's Strain is supposed to be more productive (50% to 75% more); so, I'm excited about that.

Has anyone tried Burrough's Strain? What did you think?
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

LK2020
Reactions:

Re: Amana Orange (Burrough's Strain) tomato

Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:00 pm

Sounds interesting. I'm still looking for an orange tomato that is intensely flavored. One year I thought I had it in a Chef's Choice Orange, which I think is derived from Amana Orange. What does Amana Orange taste like?

Shule
Reactions:

Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:13 am

[mention]LK2020[/mention]

Well, it's kind of hard to describe, but it doesn't taste like Orange Minsk, Sweet Ozark Orange, Persimmon, Valencia, Dad's Sunset, Kellogg's Breakfast, Aladdin's Lamp, etc. It has qualities that maybe an orange fruit drink might have, but it doesn't taste particularly fruity (maybe a little) or overly sweet. It's not an old-fashioned tomato taste, for sure (closer to not tasting like a tomato, but you can tell it's a tomato). It's not super sweet like Carbon. It can be mild or not, but it's good both ways. I don't know. It's just good.

Yep, Chef's Choice Orange F1 does have Amana Orange as a parent. How did it taste? I haven't tried it.

You might like Persimmon, actually. It's a unique one for flavor, too.

I'm curious about Orange Jazz's flavor. Have you looked into that one? Golden Jubilee might have high flavor, but I'm not sure.

65465Mo
Reactions:

Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:06 pm

I grew Amana Orange (no clue as to strain ,seeds came from Timeless Tomatoes) for the first time this year. I was impressed with their production, size and flavor. Two largest tomatoes weighted a pound and 10 ounces ,each. They weren't isolated for seed saving so I'm hoping I have a few seeds left, if not I'll probably be ordering some.

LK2020
Reactions:

Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:29 pm

Shule wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:13 am @LK2020

Well, it's kind of hard to describe, but it doesn't taste like Orange Minsk, Sweet Ozark Orange, Persimmon, Valencia, Dad's Sunset, Kellogg's Breakfast, Aladdin's Lamp, etc. It has qualities that maybe an orange fruit drink might have, but it doesn't taste particularly fruity (maybe a little) or overly sweet. It's not an old-fashioned tomato taste, for sure (closer to not tasting like a tomato, but you can tell it's a tomato). It's not super sweet like Carbon. It can be mild or not, but it's good both ways. I don't know. It's just good.

Yep, Chef's Choice Orange F1 does have Amana Orange as a parent. How did it taste? I haven't tried it.

You might like Persimmon, actually. It's a unique one for flavor, too.

I'm curious about Orange Jazz's flavor. Have you looked into that one? Golden Jubilee might have high flavor, but I'm not sure.
Came across this tonight, somehow I missed it before. Thank you for this reply, Shule. I have grown Orange Minsk and KB (and KBX) and unfortunately found them to be rather bland. Jaune Flamme had more flavor but was a bit sour early in the season - improved later - but not entirely what I am looking for. Oh, I tried Aunt Gertie's Gold last year too. Again, nice big juicy tomatoes, but not the sought-after intensity of flavor. I grew Dad's Sunset this year - got only ONE tomato, and half of that b/c of BER - but I loved it! It had that intense flavor that reminded me of the couple of times Chef's Choice Orange was good. I guess it is hard to describe too, but it was intense, with a lovely brightness that just made you want more. Sweet and acidic in a nice balance, and yes, fruity but tomatoey. Bright, sweet with some tang. The opposite of blah.

The Chef's Choice Orange that was so good came from a plant from a nursery around here that has definitely had some cross-pollination issues before. For example, the first year I grew CCO, it was pink - quite yummy, similarly bright and sweet and tangy, but pink. The next year it was orange, and fabulous. I didn't save seed b/c it's a hybrid. Maybe I should have. Then I bought some Burpee CCO seeds and grew that last year - super productive, but little flavor.

I'm going to try Dad's Sunset again. Persimmon sounds interesting. And of course, maybe I should try Amana Orange.

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:46 pm

[mention]LK2020[/mention]
Yeah, I would definitely recommend trying Amana Orange.

[mention]65465Mo[/mention]
Wow. I like Timeless-tomatoes. I've been curious what their Amana Orange is like compared to the other two I've grown. I like to compare the same variety from different vendors/sources, sometimes. Mine came from Marsha's free SASE offer. The other one I've grown came from a friend in California. Marsha's and my friend from California's were pretty similar.

I'd love to taste a cross between Amana Orange and Carbon. Maybe I'll try my hand at manual cross-pollination next year.

Daniel Ricks
Reactions:

Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:44 am

[mention]Shule[/mention]
Yeah that Orange Jazz looks interesting, I'm also curious if anyone here has tried it.

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:59 am

Daniel Ricks wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:44 am @Shule
Yeah that Orange Jazz looks interesting, I'm also curious if anyone here has tried it.
I think [mention]Cole_Robbie[/mention] and/or [mention]BigVanVader[/mention] grew it and liked it, if I remember right. I think [mention]Ginger2778[/mention] grew it, too, as I got seeds from her 2017 SASE seed offer (which I do plan to grow eventually)!

The following links should yield some results for Orange Jazz. I believe there has been some discussion on it on TomatoJunction already, but TomatoJunction didn't exist when Orange Jazz was most discussed; so that's probably why there isn't more discussion. TomatoJunction started last December.

Tomatoville search results
Gardenweb search results
ProBoards search results
freeforums.net search results

Also, here's the Dave's Garden link, with a couple reviews: https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/230569/

I had the impression that the breeder was involved with Artisan Seeds (I thought it's the first store where it was sold, but it was possibly Johnny's Selected Seeds): https://store.growartisan.com/product/orange-jazz

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:51 am

I did grow it. These are my favorite 2 orange beefstakes , in order; KBX, and Sweet Ozark Orange.
- Marsha

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:12 pm

I think I liked all the jazzes better than their creator, fred hempel. Orange was the crowd favorite, but i also like jazz, which is a pink with red flesh, and also i like yellow jazz too.

Return to “Open Pollinated/Tomatoes of Yesteryear”