Tiny tomatoes

Sunday Gravey
Reactions:

Tiny tomatoes

Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:13 am

What tiny tomatoes are your favorites? I eat a lot of salads. Nothing bigger than an inch.

Nan6b
Reactions:

Re: Tiny tomatoes

Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:05 am

Post Office Spoonful is an Italian heirloom that is 2/3" in diameter. It has a good tomato-ey taste. Huge plant with delicate-looking leaves, produces a ton, indeterminate, tolerant of diseases, and adorable fruit.
Other sweeter ones are Bajaja, Sungold.
Larger cherries that may exceed an inch are Dr. Carolyn, Maglia Rosa.

Gthegardener
Reactions:

Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:54 pm

I grew Mexico Midget (seeds I was given by craig lehoullier) last year. It was a prolific producer of 1" to 0.5" red cherry tomatoes, the flavor was outstanding! It was like an heirloom in a tiny tomato. It is a tall plant though, so I wouldn't recommend for container growing. I also liked dr. carolyn as well as maglia rosa. I liked the bumblebee tomatoes too - pink, yellow and purple although purple was the slowest to mature they are all tasty!
“Life begins the day you start a garden” - Chinese proverb

rdback
Reactions:

Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:05 am

I think Matt's Wild Cherry is worth a mention. 1/2" fruit, sweet, flavorful, prolific. Needs a lot of room though. Can grow to 8-10 feet.

stone
Reactions:

Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:38 am

Sunday Gravey wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:13 am What tiny tomatoes are your favorites? I eat a lot of salads. Nothing bigger than an inch.
Kind of depends on gardening location.
I was sent seed for everglades tomato by a fellow blogger...
perfect for my garden, reliable self sower, heavy producer, even out in the unimproved waste areas.

Very difficult to grow anything here, so... anything like that... totally gets my vote!

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:36 pm

Sunsugar is the one I have been growing for the longest time - not so much for salads as for just snacking on constantly, though they are my favorite tomato for making som tum, probably because they are so sweet! A grape that I've grown the last two years that produces incredible amounts is Sprite. It is sort of crunchy, though not really intense flavor, and stores well - it can sit on the counter in a bowl for a week after picking, and not a single one will go bad! It resisted splitting better than any - only during one "monsoon period", when I got 7" in a short time, did some split, but only a few. It stopped producing briefly, during a heatwave in high 90s, but started up quickly, like a lot of small tomatoes - the reason I grow so many of them! It was also the last tomato I pulled out this last season. However, it seems something always goes wrong with the new ones I try, which is why I keep trying new ones. This year I have 8 new small tomatoes! Hopefully, some will be keepers.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Return to “Open Pollinated/Tomatoes of Yesteryear”