de Ramelette Long Keeper Tomatoes

PhilaGardener
Reactions:

de Ramelette Long Keeper Tomatoes

Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:01 pm

This is an interesting new paper describing "Mediterranean Long Shelf-Life Landraces". Looks like open access.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 01651/full
Gardening near Philadelphia (USA)

MrBig46
Reactions:

Re: de Ramelette Long Keeper Tomatoes

Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:24 am

Thank you for publishing an article about long keepers tomatoes. I've been trying to grow Ramallets and Pienollo with alternating successes for six years. It's not easy in my garden.
Vladimír

PhilaGardener
Reactions:

Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:33 am

Glad it is of interest, Vladimír! I have always enjoyed hearing about what you are growing, and glad you found this forum as well.

I've tried a few of these but feel they like much drier conditions than found in my garden. This article confirms that for me, but I will keep searching.
Gardening near Philadelphia (USA)

AmieHoy
Reactions:

Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:38 am

As Belgium is getting hotter summers, with 2/3 months without a drop of rain, those varieties are doing alright. I grew the Rama de Mallorca and the Piennolo’s, red and yellow. But in serious periods of heavy rain, they indeed aren’t good producers/ strong plants. Thanks for the article. And it is like Vladimir said, alternating success, a lot depends on weather conditions.

ddsack
Reactions:

Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:34 am

I tried three varieties a few years ago, with high hopes for winter tomatoes. I was not too happy with the results, because although they kept ok, the flavor was bland and no better than winter store tomatoes. I believe that this was because my growing conditions did not allow me to pick them as they first started to blush during the hot summer, but instead we were already into fall here, and they are not meant to pick as late, cool weather tomatoes. I may try again, maybe with the same, or with other varieties, perhaps starting them a few weeks earlier than other tomatoes, and hoping for a hot summer.

It may well be, that areas with cooler summers, or too much rainfall will not be able to do well with these types of tomatoes. I'd be interested to know how they do in a greenhouse where you can control some factors better.

Nan6b
Reactions:

Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:34 am

The best-tasting long-keeper I had was ramallet Ibiza Blanca.

JosephineRose
Reactions:

Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:24 pm

Nan6b wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:34 am The best-tasting long-keeper I had was ramallet Ibiza Blanca.
I am trying that one again this year as well as the Piennolo del Vesuvio. Vesuvio is new to me this year. I had a crop failure with the Ibiza Blanca last year due to Russet mite.

Just started the last of the seeds you sent me! Fingers crossed.
Melissa
Zone: 10A
Climate: Warm Summer Mediterranean
Avg annual rainfall: 23.96"

MrBig46
Reactions:

Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:08 am

This year I grow Ramallet Pequenito Mallorquin, Ramallet Bombeta, Ramallet Mugró, Ramallet Saint Llorenc des Cardassar and Pienollo del Vesuvio. These tomatoes in their homeland are grown on soils with a very high potassium content (Pienollo on the slopes of Mount Vesuvius, weathered lava). I want to fertilize every week with potassium sulfate. That's my plan.
Vladimír

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:33 am

JosephineRose wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:24 pm
Nan6b wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:34 am The best-tasting long-keeper I had was ramallet Ibiza Blanca.
I am trying that one again this year as well as the Piennolo del Vesuvio. Vesuvio is new to me this year. I had a crop failure with the Ibiza Blanca last year due to Russet mite.

Just started the last of the seeds you sent me! Fingers crossed.
FYI-Abamectin stops Tomato Russet Mites dead in their tracks. It seems expensive, but it is used at only 1/4 teaspoon per gallon. Now back to the thread!
- Marsha

Whwoz
Reactions:

Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:02 am

The three varieties that I have in Ramallets 100, Bombeta and Ibiza Blanca are starting to ripen fruit here, by the looks of above, I had best get pick and find somewhere to store them

Return to “Open Pollinated/Tomatoes of Yesteryear”