Something curious about Sun gold

Nico
Reactions:

Re: Something curious about Sun gold

Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:33 pm

Ginger2778 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:00 pm Nico, do you pick SunGoldF1 at first blush? It's the only tomato I know that must ripen to bright perfect orange before picking. It's not very good If its picked not at full ripe and instead ripened in the house. Try leaving it on the plant until it is solid bright orange.
Marsha, I let sun gold mature enough as you say, thank you
Plants have, like animals, in the degree and almost in the form, the sensitivity, that essential attribute of life.

Nico
Reactions:

Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:35 pm

worth1 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:04 pm Orange orange. ;)
worth 1, is that car yours? it's gorgeous
Plants have, like animals, in the degree and almost in the form, the sensitivity, that essential attribute of life.

Nico
Reactions:

Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:36 pm

Shule wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:47 am
Nico wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:20 pm I have read in some forum that there is "Big sungold select", how about its taste? I still think that for my taste, sun gold, after having cultivated it for two years, they do not have such an incredible flavor, for many it is their best tomato, for me it is just a good tomato, I have tried many cherries with better flavor, but, as you like colors ;)
I've grown Big Sungold Select. I overwatered that year (and did not use black plastic). Here's my analysis:

Medium-sized plant (not huge). Just over 1" , blocky, orange (not yellow or gold), firm fruits, with excellent texture. Great taste, but not super sweet, and not tart. Not potent. Unique taste for an orange tomato; I really liked it. Great for snacking (would be great with cheese, on a relish tray or something, probably). It produced decently, but not as much as some cherries. It was maybe 65 to 72 days to maturity. Regular leaf.

I gave a friend some seeds from my packet (from Diane Seeds). She got a plant with red fruit. She loved it and said it was very sweet. She gave me seeds. I grew a plant. It also had red fruit, and they were indeed quite sweet and good. I grew those with drought and black plastic. They weren't as prolific as the orange ones, but that may have been the watering. They were softer and had different texture than the orange fruits. The red ones were bigger (about golfball-sized).
Shule, better explained is impossible, thank you very much for the report

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:51 pm

Nico wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:35 pm
worth1 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:04 pm Orange orange. ;)
worth 1, is that car yours? it's gorgeous
No that is a fully restored 1971 Plymouth Cuda.
426 V8 Hemi.
If it is original it is worth a ton of money.
In 2007 they could sell for 1.2 million.
Now a little over 300 thousand.
Dramatic price drop.
I owned a 72 Dodge Challenger looked a lot like it orange too.
Ran around 170 miles an hour if not more.
355 gears in dayna 60 rear end.
Slap stick automatic transmission.
Every time I see a ripe sungold tomato I see my old car.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Nico
Reactions:

Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:01 pm

1.2 million? my mother. I have good taste :lol:,I love this car
buga.jpg
I apologize for drifting off the original topic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Setec Astronomy
Reactions:

Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:49 am

I decided to try Sun Orange because of this thread, I ordered the seeds from Osborne a few weeks ago and today realized I didn't get them yet. I didn't pay attention at the time, but today I looked at their email that confirmed they had the seeds in stock, and they have a link to "order processing times". If you order today (January 19th), their estimated ship date is February 28th. I don't know what it was at the time I ordered, but just a heads up to anyone ordering from Osborne this time of year, there may be quite a delay in receiving your seeds.

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:22 am

Setec Astronomy wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:49 am I decided to try Sun Orange because of this thread, I ordered the seeds from Osborne a few weeks ago and today realized I didn't get them yet. I didn't pay attention at the time, but today I looked at their email that confirmed they had the seeds in stock, and they have a link to "order processing times". If you order today (January 19th), their estimated ship date is February 28th. I don't know what it was at the time I ordered, but just a heads up to anyone ordering from Osborne this time of year, there may be quite a delay in receiving your seeds.
Tomato Grower's Supply is selling them now too.
- Marsha

Setec Astronomy
Reactions:

Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:33 am

I got a shipment notification from Osborne, my seeds are scheduled for delivery on Monday, so about 3 weeks after I ordered, not as bad as I feared. I guess this is still pandemic-related delays, perhaps part demand, part worker outages. Looking forward to Sunorange!

Yak54
Reactions:

Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:02 am

I got my Sun Orange from TGS about a week ago. First time in my garden.

Dan
Dan

Return to “Hybrid Tomatoes”