Corn Wars... Again

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Corn Wars... Again

Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:10 pm

This afternoon I cut out the Bodacious corn stalks that the squirrels have damaged. There were about six or seven on one end of the bed. It's a sure tell that the corn's almost ready. Silks are starting to turn but the ends are still real pointy.

Then I rigged some netting around the bed using t-posts with poles tied to them, nails in the poles to hang the netting from, boards along the bottom to hold the netting to the ground and bricks on top of that for added weight. It was a pain in the butt but it's finished. This is a better netting effort than last year but my guess is that one will still find a way in by morning.

That's about all I can do other than sitting out there 24/7 with my shotgun. We'll see.

rxkeith
Reactions:

Re: Corn Wars... Again

Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:55 pm

here at home it is the brassica war. i plant cabbage, brussells sprouts, and broccoil, and what all,
and something comes along, and snips its leaves or takes the whole top off the plant leaving a stalk.
could be birds, chipmunks or little bunnies. no cut worms although i found several while planting peppers
yesterday. i am dipping into reserve plants, and taking counter measures. a neighbor said he loses about a third
of his corn crop to coons in spite of having 3 strands of electric fencing at different heights.
corn on the cob, yum, yum.

keith

JRinPA
Reactions:

Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:33 pm

We'll see how the socks do around here this summer, here's hoping. Mine was pretty slow to grow with the drought here until the last couple weeks.

worth1
Reactions:

Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:57 pm

Corn socks.
I could make a fortune.
I'll see y'all on Shark Tank. :lol:
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:35 am

You need a catchy name though. I had one last year but it must not have been good because I forget it. I think it was Cobdoms - Protection For Your Corn.

They could have hawk parts printed on them too. A really good hawk head/eye might work. Hawkeyes. Or maybe Sockeyes?

Yeah, money rolling right in I'm sure.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:10 am

@JRinPA THE SOCKS! ***slapping self in the head*** I forgot all about the socks and there's a bagful that I've collected in the garden shed! As Bugs Bunny would say, "What a maroon!" :o

THANK YOU for the reminder! I don't think I'll undo the fence to install the socks on that Bodacious corn but they sure will be deployed on the Silver Queen that's in open rows when the time comes. :D

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:06 pm

You forgot? You FORGOT!? Oh the humanity!

Return to “Other Vegetables/Plant Identification”