Blackberries fruiting on primocane (not a primocane fruiting variety)

Dawn
Reactions:

Blackberries fruiting on primocane (not a primocane fruiting variety)

Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:10 am

IMG_20230629_210605306.jpg
IMG_20230629_210634786~2.jpg
I'm hoping there are some wise blackberry growers here.

This is a Ouachita blackberry plant that I planted last year, it's a regular blackberry that's supposed to fruit on second year canes. This is a primocane and it has a bud, it's not supposed to do that. The cane starts out as a primocane, you can see in the second picture that it has 5 leaves per set, then branches off and looks like a floricane (3 leaves and a flower bud).

I asked on 2 blackberry groups on Facebook and only got one answer where someone said that he sometimes gets spontaneous fruiting on primocanes.

Does anyone here know if that's really a thing? Or did I get sent a primocane fruiting variety? (I'm pretty sure it would have to be Prime Ark Freedom) If it's just one plant, that's ok, but I'm going to be a little annoyed if none are Ouachita, because I bought them specifically for their extra-upright "I don't need no trellis" growing habit. And I just planted 3 new Prime Ark Freedom in the front yard for variety 😂
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dawn
Zone 6b/7a
Central Washington State (it's a desert here)

Tormato
Reactions:

Re: Blackberries fruiting on primocane (not a primocane fruiting variety)

Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:33 am

Prime Ark Freedom grows taller.

Return to “Fruits/Berries/Currants”