Rutabaga seed!

JRinPA
Reactions:

Rutabaga seed!

Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:30 am

I want to try some this year. For years I grew turnips in the spring and we had no interest in eating them in the summer. Now this year I will grow purple white turnips in the fall, but also want to get some rutabaga going too. Anyone have some seed they want to share?

Or a good place to buy?

Which one of these on baker creek/ rare seeds is better? $4 shipped is okay, most places want $4 for seeds plus $5 or more for shipping.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Re: Rutabaga seed!

Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:42 am

I can grow turnips all day long but for some reason I have problems with rutabagas. It seems they don't like the spring weather here, perhaps because they take a lot longer than turnips and then run into hot weather. And I can't plant them too early in the fall either because of the heat here and then they run into cold weather later which slows them down to a crawl so they get woody. I've given up on them; them and beets. I'll be interested in seeing how they do for you.

It looks like both of the BC offerings are in the 80-90 day range.

Funny! They say of the round one: "In warmer parts of the South, sow in August or September so that they can use the cooler autumn months for their growing season." Cooler autumn months? LOL! Our average daily high at my location in August is 91 and 84 in September. :D

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:49 am

Yeah autumn, I take autumn as oct nov, sept is still summer here. By end of Nov we've usually had enough frosts for many plants to die back. It's probably a matter of keeping them moist enough to germinate in the heat and keep the summer weeds down while they establish. Then when the ground cools some they take off, like fall spinach does.

I was expecting to find more than two types on that baker creek site. I see purple white rutabaga even cheaper, if giving a cut to JB. I've been looking this year and never saw any rutabaga seed in stores - since the local agway shut down there is a hole yet to be filled. It would have cost $3 there but at least there was a pack in hand.

If no has input on type I'll go with the JB $1.85 special and/or the yellow ones on baker creek.

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:21 pm

I bought American Purple Top from Harris Seeds last month ($2.42 for 250 seeds; listed as 90 DTM). The code "THANKFS" should get you free shipping. I've never grown rutabagas before so I have no idea which are the best varieties, but these have very positive reviews.

The Virginia Tech planting guide I rely on says we can only grow rutabagas in the fall here, not spring. They say to plant the seeds between 7/25 and 8/25 for harvest beginning in mid-October. That's the guidance for areas with first fall frost between 10/15 and 10/25. Apparently you want them to reach maturity right around the time of your first frost.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:21 pm

Harris seeds, I had to go there...did you see that cauliflower that looks like a coral reef sea creature?! https://www.harrisseeds.com/collections ... 9290010961 That is either gonna sting you or try to dissolve and eat your finger!

Earthy flavors, that means it tastes like the last finger it ate.

Return to “Seeds Wanted”