Orange Russian (Doukhobors)

This is a yearly group seed swap event hosted by Tormato.

Moderator: Tormato

eyolf
Reactions:

Orange Russian (Doukhobors)

Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:22 am

Orange Russian (Doukhobors) isn't a very unique variety. Think of it as a slightly earlier, slightly less rampant (and less crack prone) Azoychka.

I received seeds in trade with a Canadian seed saver that had collected them from a Doukhobor colony in Saskatchewan. I gathered this person was in public health, and had temporarily abandoned her career to be near home and care for aging parents.

With a need for an "outlet" she turned to tending their garden...and heirloom tomatoes.

She seems to have disappeared from the online discussions, but a search of her name reveals she may have finished a doctorate and advanced her career after seeing her father to the next plane.

I too found other time-sucking pursuits starting about 2012, until I was injured in an accident in 2019. Surgery and phys therapy has me at least somewhat able again...and searching for a few varieties I lost during the hiatus.

OR(D) seemed like it was gone...until Gary (Tormato) stepped up...probably with the help of another seed saver on the west coast.
Today, OR(D) delivered the first ripe tomatoes, along with Kotlas, Matina, and Glacier. And I couldn't be happier.
IMG_20230721_104123033.jpg
IMG_20230725_134352967.jpg
My daughter in Minneapolis (3 hours south and 5-7 days earlier) got one plant, too, and reported she was surprised by the flavor..."as snappy and bright as later indeterminates"

Gary: thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “MMMM Swap”