Watermelons 2023

Uncle_Feist
Reactions:

Re: Watermelons 2023

Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:16 pm

Looks great!

Sangria is one of the best ever seeded melons.
But, there was an older variety I used to grow that may have been just a notch better called Royal Majesty. When I sold those at the market I would have strangers with out of state tags just show up out of the clear blue on the farm looking for more of the watermelons some family member had bought from me. Happened several times.

Uncle_Feist
Reactions:

Re: Watermelons 2023

Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:55 pm

I didn't plan on any watermelons for 2023 until my mother returned from the produce supply store with a single pack of watermelon seeds early this past spring. She had made the trip there for a bale of promix for her flower pots.

She is an avid gardener growing and canning the basics, maters, taters, beans and corn, but she had never grown watermelons. So I was floored when she said I am going to grow some watermelons this year and produced a single plastic zip pack containing 25 watermelon seeds labeled Revolution seedless. I told her that those need to be started in pots and transplanted. Then I noticed that there were no pollinator seeds in the pack. I told her she needed a seeded variety in her planting to even get the Revolution seedless to set fruit. She said here, you do it for me..

I started her seeds that day in late April along with some Sugar baby seeds I had. Both germinated well and when the plants were ready I took em to her. She said ohh, I just wanted a couple of plants you can have the rest. So, I planted a row of unplanned watermelons, and of a seedless variety I had never even heard of.

Both the seedless Revolution variety and the Sugar baby pollinators within the row looked great by midsummer. I also noticed that the seedless watermelons that were setting had a blocky, oblong shape that I had never seen before in a seedless melon. So one evening I searched Google for "Revolution watermelon" to read up on it, but my search didn't return very many hits at all. One was from Stokes seeds, and the other was from the produce supply store that my mother purchased the seeds from. It was a pretty rare item, and I was starting to get excited about trying a new watermelon, especially a seedless that I really never cared for because of that weird aftertaste that all I have grown and tried have.

Well, this one is different! No aftertaste, perfectly brickle flesh, and probably the absolute sweetest watermelon I have ever ate at 14 brix! Definitely will have a couple of rows of these next year, Lord willing and the creek don't rise!!

Return to “Watermelon”