Deer Invasion

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Deer Invasion

Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:50 pm

Right now the deer are having their way. They munched down the 'Homemade Pickles' bucket cuke:

Before they could get the 'Bushy' cuke bucket I leaned a trellis fence panel over it on both sides. Hopefully that will work:

They've also been working on the sweet potato vines and have completely stripped them. At least the sweet potatoes are safely underground!

The big mystery is why they haven't touched the Red Ripper pea vines on the big trellis. They sure munched the ones I'm letting sprawl on the ground until I got netting over the plants. Well, those trellised vines are done producing and so will be taken down soon when I get the urge to destroy something!

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Re: Deer Invasion

Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:48 pm

Deer pressure gets worse every year near me. They even eat the okra now. Electric fence is the only thing that works. The wineries have a 5 strand electric fence with the highly visible ribbon wire.

Paulf
Reactions:

Re: Deer Invasion

Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:54 pm

Years ago I put an eight foot tall deer fence around the entire garden. Deer stopped eating out of the garden immediately...and they began attacking my wife's gardens and flowers. We live in town so procuring venison is not an option. Lately there have been no deer in the yard and I attribute this to a rising population of bobcats and what some neighbors say is a couple of mountain lions cruising around. No sign of cougars but I have seen signs of bobs. Go bobcats go. No rabbits either.

Return to “Diseases, Pests & Cures”