Very Productive Paste?

Everything About Tomatoes
goodloe
Reactions:

Re: Very Productive Paste?

Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:48 pm

You might take a look at Roman Warrior (hybrid). I grew it in 2020; listed as semi-determinate. Mine topped out around 4-5 ft. Produced a ton of fruit up til frost got em. Decent fresh taste, better when cooked...

https://tomatogrowers.com/collections/t ... ior-hybrid
I have 2 seasons: Tomato and pepper season, and BAMA Football season!

Doffer
Reactions:

Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:42 pm

mama_lor wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:15 am
Mark_Thompson wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:27 am @mama_lor Agro looks promising, it’s been good for you?
Yes, it's very productive and quite good tasting. This and Colibri are very popular in my area, I think colibri might be even more productive but taste is not as good. Not sure seeds are available everywhere.

I think Plum regal should be on your list too, it has a lot of disease resistance which could be good for your climate.
Dit u try Plum Regal?

Mark_Thompson
Reactions:

Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:27 pm

@Doffer I didn’t. Determinates have never worked for me, I was looking for indet.
Wet and windy side of a Hawaiian island, just living the dream

Lotte
Reactions:

Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:27 am

I would say Gyula.Grew it in the greenhouse in a not too big pot.Gave lots of beautiful red pastetomatoes, so I'll recommend that.Grew it for the first time this season, but consider to grow it again.It's a hungarian sort.

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:19 pm

Red Sausage was a real winner/BIG producer here in 2021, couldn't find seeds and didn't save any for 2022-23; they're available @Seed-n-Such, now: https://seedsnsuch.com/products/red-sau ... XYQAvD_BwE

The Gotch
Madison WESconsin/Growing Zone 5-A/Raised beds above the Midvale Heights spade-caking clay in the 77 Square Miles surrounded by A Sea Of Reality

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:09 pm

I grew Rugby F1 this year: pink indeterminate paste. Pretty good production. Seemed to have thick skin, so I ended up dehydrating more of them -- fantastic flavor dried!

Shule
Reactions:

Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:55 pm

If you consider pear tomatoes pastes, read on:

If you don't mind green tomato paste, you might try Green Pear. It's about as prolific as Yellow Pear, but it's somewhat later, and the fruits are bigger/firmer/meatier. I'm not sure what it tastes like in sauce, nor how it cooks up into one. It is hard to tell when they're ripe, though, even for a GWR. The fresh taste is great (it would be a great diced tomato).

Cherokee Green Pear is kind of like a GWR version of Japanese Black Trifele with a fruity taste. Not sure how it tastes as a sauce, but it's firmer and less juicy than Cherokee Purple, in my experience; I haven't grown it since 2016, though, so I might not be remembering everything important to tell you about it.

Japanese Black Trifele itself is prolific. Some years it's juicier than others, in my experience (and only suitable as a paste some years).

Red Pear is indeterminate and very prolific. I'm not sure which version of it we grew (if it was the standard Red Pear or not). Austin's Red Pear is supposed to be a good one. Beam's Yellow Pear is supposed to be a more flavorful alternative to the regular Yellow Pear, if you want yellow fruit.

Yellow Trifele probably isn't as prolific as Japanese Black Trifele (maybe fertilized it might be), but it bordered on mealy for me, which meant the fruits were fairly dry.

And as previously mentioned, Pakenham Pear (AKA Parkenham Pear) is a prolific paste (even if you don't consider pear tomatoes paste, this is defintiely a paste, and it's indeterminate). It's very meaty and very prolific. The fruits are quite large (but not big and fat like Japanese Black Trifele, Yellow Trifele, and Cherokee Green Pear). My Pakenham Pear tomatoes were definitely longer than the advertised 2-3" (more like 4"). A friend of mine who also grew them thought they were huge.

I'm not sure how any of these do against whatever diseases you might have to deal with.

I don't recommend Chocolate Pear as a paste. It can be prolific, but the fruits are small (and in my experience, it didn't yield much volume for canning). It's great for fresh-eating, though. It's also juicy.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:34 pm

Some that I have found to be good are Shannon, a big red bomb, various Costuloto varieties from Italy. Brokenbars version is very good here, you may find it does better in your dry season than wet season grow. Russo Sicilian Togeta is another Brokenbars recommendation that does very well for me.

You will need to trial a number and select the one(s) that do best Under your conditions, which would be different to what most on here deal with.

Japanese Onion in one that I have started growing lately, potato leaf about 600 mm/2 feet tall, would definitely benefit from growing in a short cage to keep it open in middle. Fruit are yellow but cook up red. Very dry Roma style fruit that I run through the food mill before cooking and are ready to go into bottles as sauce in under an hour. Nearly burnt the first batch due to speed at which they cooked through.

Should be photos of them in my glog, don't have any on phone to import ATM.

Red Pear and Red Pear Grannisimo are two other big pears that do well for me.

A suggestion would be to let @Tormato know that you want pastes through the MMMM and you will most likely wind up with more than enough to trial. You will need to trial a number to find one (or more) that suit your conditions.

Return to “Tomato Talk”