glass on glass violence

JRinPA
Reactions:

glass on glass violence

Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:11 am

So I finally got the summer sauerkraut out of its 61F fridge. I discarded a bit off the top and ended up with 12+ qts. Really good. Five I'll keep in the fridge, live. The other seven I decided to can. I lined them up on the stove and cleaned the canner pot and put it on the burner, and turned the burner on. Then I'm filling a pot to add water to the canner when something seems wrong. Smells wrong? I look left and see the burner on high is the wrong burner - the red is where my filled jars are sitting...
I got them off as quick as possible, but there are some nasty marks where the glass jars were sitting on the glass burner. I don't know yet how much damage I did to the jars or the stovetop.
So I just came to the internet to search for some suggestions on how to deal with glass burns, or whatever you would call it. Absolutely nothing useful found regarding glass heating glass, but I found a wonderfully informative page about pressure canning:
brilliant trusted internet source wrote:What stoves should you not use a canner with?

You should not use a canner with any stove or cooktop that has less than 15,000 BTUs of burner power. It is also important to note that electric stoves generally cannot be used for canning. This is because the heat produced is not distributed evenly and you can have hot spots that exceed the recommended temperature for safe canning.

Additionally, any portable or outdoor type stoves should not be used as they are prone to producing irregular heat and taking longer to reach a desired temperature. It is not recommended to use a pressure canner on a glass or ceramic top stove as the weight of the canner may cause the top to crack or shatter.

Finally, if you have an induction stove, these are not suitable as the heat cannot be controlled and may overheat.
So, no pressure canning on electric, glass, ceramic, induction, outdoor, portable, or anything less than 15k BTU.

Well, now that I understand what I've been doing wrong all these years...using both electric AND glasstop with my presto...I guess I'll go check that damage.

Cute pattern, huh? Luckily I hadn't cleaned that burner, just the canner burner. I think I smelled something burning before the jars got too, too hot. Probably that cinnamon sugar from pumpkin pie from earlier.
01.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

worth1
Reactions:

Re: glass on glass violence

Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:14 am

That article about canning isn't a very good article.
It paints everything with to broad of a brush.
No details.
Some glass top stoves say you can use a canner.
I could go on but wouldn't know where to start.
I use my thick bottom stainless kettles to water bath can with.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:46 am

Wow, that was a close one. I'm glad your jars didn't break. Maybe the manufacturer can tell you if the marks are removable or not. The cynic in me says they'd probably just want to sell you a new one. ;)

I'm with Worth on that article but since I've never had an electric range I can't address that. I'm willing to bet a lot of people have used them for canning but it's probably a lot more tricky maintaining a steady pressure since the heating elements take longer to change temps.

I know one thing and that's if ever the SHTF, the grid went down and I ran out of LP gas, I'd be outside canning over fire!

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:00 pm

I've used pressure canners on my glass top with no problems.
I've also made 22 quarts of god only knows how many different things on it as well with my thick bottom kettels.
The marks on the stovetop can be gotten rid of with elbow grease.
I beat my glass stovetop all to hell and back with cast iron skillets and kettles.
What it won't do is bring water to a boil with thin walled granite canners.
The cycling on and off has no effect on canner pressure when using pressure canners.
I've read every article known to humanity about glass top stoves and canning.
Some are crap and others are really good.
Electric burners aren't measured in BTU they are measured in watts.
There are watts to BTU converters on line.
The comments on no less than 15k BTU is hog wash with a thick pressure canner.
My large burner or small burner will do the job of maintaining pressure at around one half power.
Worth

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:44 pm

Yeah that article was absolutely ridiculous. Whoever wrote has ever never opened a mason jar. I feel like more than 90% of what is on the internet now is just rubbish with no value other than high search engine hit rating and the accompanying ad money. Plus, I was looking for something like "glass jar burned on glass top stove" and that came up.

Anyway. Those marks came right out with the glass stovetop cleaner. Weiman, a white paste that dries so you can buff. And the jars didn't seem to be damaged, and I canned them afterward and they were all sealed this morning. But I really need to stop using the stovetop as a counter. I couldn't decide immediately afterward if they were on heat for 15 seconds or 50...now I'm guessing closer to 15.

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:47 pm

fwiw I have run a lot of jars through a pressure cooker on a cheap electric stove and never had a jar crack.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:40 pm

There is so much thermal mass to a canner system, the heat source would really only matter if it was so hot as to melt the aluminum. Like a turkey fryer, I guess, if it ran the flame past the water level.

I have had jars crack, outside inside pressure bwb. It is the quick change of temp to the glass that does it. That is why when I raw pack, I use cold jars, cold canner water.

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:17 pm

Probably not a good idea to use a turkey fryer type burner to can with.
The regulator puts out too much heat and some have no adjustments.
They run up into the 170000 BTU range.
That right, one hundred and seventy thousand.
They sound like a rocket lifting off.
I've experimented with canners to see if they would vent off enough steam with the weight off to keep the pressure from building and they won't.
The pressure keeps rising.
This is with a common stovetop.
Nope a turkey burner is way out of the question.
I'm not even sure the blow out plug would be enough.
Whatever the case I don't want to be anywhere around it.
Worth

Return to “Water Bath and Pressure Canning.”