Cajun seasoning mix

What's cooking?
Whwoz
Reactions:

Cajun seasoning mix

Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:39 am

We have been purchasing a Cajun seasoning mix for use in crumbling chicken and the like, however lately it is starting to cause me a few problems. Suspect the culprit is fennel.

Was wondering if one of the Cajuns on here could suggest a mix that we could make up from scratch. Mix needs to be fennel and coriander free and low in chili heat, although that is easily adjusted.

karstopography
Reactions:

Re: Cajun seasoning mix

Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:39 am

I hope you get some good suggestions. I hadn’t heard that fennel gets put into cajun seasoning mixes. Most of the recipes I’ve seen have black pepper, white pepper, red pepper (cayenne), paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano and dried thyme.

Lots of cajuns around this part of Texas. My son is married to a half cajun. My best friend is from Louisiana, but he would describe himself more as french or creole than cajun. His grandfather spoke french and was an excellent cook, but his recipes were definitely creole. His gumbo recipe is famous and widely shared around these parts, but the recipe had tomatoes in it and no self respecting cajun puts tomatoes in gumbo. Only creoles do that abomination to gumbo.

I looked at the recipes online, but most the ones I saw came from folks that weren’t cajun and seemed to intermingle Creole and Cajun seasoning and traditions.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:23 am

I feel this is a hot topic as to what does and doesn't go into Cajun seasoning.
I've personally been forcefully subjected to some of the most horrifying Cajun seasoning concocted by man.
Most of it Italian oregano heavy and causing great amounts of indigestion made for and by non Cajuns.
I'm burping up oregano for the rest of the day.
Others loaded with salt so much I figured they just came up with a way to sell a 50 cent container of salt for 10 dollars.
When you make something too salty just to taste something else it's too salty.
Yet others so hot pepper heavy that's all you can taste.
I'm not in competition as to how hot I can make something.
I've seen restaurants were everything tasted the same because they put this stuff on everything.
I'm surprised they didn't brew tea with it.
Now I'll crawl back into my hole and cuddle up with my spices I can do what with when with and how with.
Not a fan of seasoning blends.
Most so called Cajun seasoning I've seen has black pepper garlic powder onion powder paprika and red pepper.
What paprika?
There are many to choose from and they will change flavors.
I would experiment with these and add any salt to the food separately.
Black pepper or white pepper losses it's background flavor really fast after it's been ground.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:54 am

Another problem with most Cajun/Creole spice mixes is they usually include salt, and sometimes one of the top ingredients listed. I hate paying spice prices for salt! So besides the fact that you'll be eliminating certain ingredients that cause you problems, you can eliminate the salt, and add it as needed to each dish. Can't help with a recipe for the Cajun mix - not something I make, as it usually has garlic and onion powders - things I usually use fresh.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

pondgardener
Reactions:
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:10 am

worth1 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:23 am I feel this is a hot topic as to what does and doesn't go into Cajun seasoning.
I've personally been forcefully subjected to some of the most horrifying Cajun seasoning concocted by man.
Most of it Italian oregano heavy and causing great amounts of indigestion made for and by non Cajuns.
@worth1 It seems like the majority of recipes use oregano. Although it could be left out, do you think Mexican oregano could be used as a substitute?
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:24 am

Rajun is probably the one to give suggestions. Here is a recipe I found on Food Network, though, that seems to meet your requirements. Just adjust the salt or leave it out. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/caj ... ng-5421544

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:25 pm

pondgardener wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:10 am
worth1 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:23 am I feel this is a hot topic as to what does and doesn't go into Cajun seasoning.
@worth1 It seems like the majority of recipes use oregano. Although it could be left out, do you think Mexican oregano could be used as a substitute?
That's weird, almost all the recipes I saw had no oregano in them.
I do believe Google has seen where I have a dislike for Italian oregano.
As for Mexican oregano it's going to taste a little different and in my opinion better.
It's your recipe as to how you want to make it and who is anyone else to say it is or isn't Cajun.
Worth

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:25 pm

Thanks folks for the input. @Sue_CT , that recipe looks like a very good starting point thank you.

Am aware of problems with other cultures mixing stuff up and applying tags from somewhere else to a blend. Our source for the mix is an Indian wholesaler, so not surprised that it is way different to true Cajun mix.

Would be great to hear from @Rajun Gardener , but if he is too busy so be it.

Thanks again

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:31 pm

That's what we call Hipster taco trucks stands and taco restaurants
Not actually traditional Mexican tacos but the hangout for the hipster and gringo crowd.
Worth

karstopography
Reactions:

Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:47 pm

I don’t like too much cayenne red pepper in cajun seasoning. I’d rather use Louisiana style hot sauce if needed.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:11 pm

karstopography wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:47 pm I don’t like too much cayenne red pepper in cajun seasoning. I’d rather use Louisiana style hot sauce if needed.
Ya can't get rid of cayenne if it's too much. :lol:
Worth

Return to “Recipes”