Chinese Garlic A National Security "THREAT"?

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Chinese Garlic A National Security "THREAT"?

Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:10 am

Chinese Garlic Is A Threat To US National Security And A 'Severe Public Health Concernhttps://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/ ... 9d3&ei=117

All the more reason to raise yer own; can't recall the last time we bought any.

The Gotch
Madison WESconsin/Growing Zone 5-A/Raised beds above the Midvale Heights spade-caking clay in the 77 Square Miles surrounded by A Sea Of Reality

Tormato
Reactions:

Re: Chinese Garlic A National Security "THREAT"?

Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:04 pm

Likely a bit of hyperbole. About a decade ago, China was supposed to corner the US market for garlic and apple juice. I remember seeing Chinese sourced whole garlic for just one year.

I'll have to look at labels on containers of minced garlic, powdered garlic, and apple juice, to see what's up.

karstopography
Reactions:

Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:08 pm

The PRC might or might not be a threat depending on whom you listen to, but I don’t think sending garlic grown in their “night soil” over here is how they will get us.

I do like labels in the produce department with where stuff is from and what variety it is. Lately, our HEB has been selling two types of fresh garlic heads, a larger head purple striped hard neck type and a white smaller head type that might be a soft-necked or hard-necked, I’m not sure. I don’t recall seeing any labeling on this garlic. Aldi lately sells three packs of fresh garlic heads of a white turban type I do believe by the size and shape and it is from China. I don’t buy the jarred minced garlic. I buy Fiesta brand garlic powder and the label says “product of the USA”, but does that necessarily mean the garlic was grown here or just turned into powder here from fresh garlic from wherever?

I planted between fifty and sixty cloves of various soft and hard necked garlic recently and still have a few heads of Lorz Italian artichoke soft necked from my April/May 2023 harvest. We might average using a head of garlic every week or two, 30 or so heads a year. I might have just enough homegrown garlic to cover the four months or so until the next harvest.

The plan is to take China out of the equation by growing my own garlic. Now, if I could grow my own semiconductors and such that’d really be something.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:16 pm

karstopography wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:08 pmNow, if I could grow my own semiconductors and such that’d really be something.
Soil & climate are the keys...

The Gotch
Madison WESconsin/Growing Zone 5-A/Raised beds above the Midvale Heights spade-caking clay in the 77 Square Miles surrounded by A Sea Of Reality

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:19 pm

Lately our Walmart has been selling loose garlic heads from Spain. First time I've seen that. Nice garlic too. Large heads with large cloves inside. None of those pesky little ones in the middle. I still have enough from the May harvest to last me until May again. I should unless they start to go bad.

I'm more concerned about Chinese monopoly on health products like drugs, vitamins and supplements. I was able to find multivitamins from Japan/India at Sam's but all the brands of the Vitamin D I'm supposed to take is made in China. Still working on that. I'm out in the sun a lot but doc says as we get older we don't absorb as much and so need supplementation sometimes.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:34 pm

Cornelius_Gotchberg wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:16 pm
karstopography wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:08 pmNow, if I could grow my own semiconductors and such that’d really be something.
Soil & climate are the keys...

The Gotch
Don't forget plenty of irrigation, as they need to be produced in a dust free environment.

And, I've never found store bought hardneck garlic in boxes or bags, only loose.

rxkeith
Reactions:

Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:34 pm

now, if that chinese garlic was grown on farm land here in the U.S. near military bases or other places of concern
THEN, chinese garlic could pose a threat to national security. china has been active in the real estate market ya know.

keith

Return to “Garlic”