Starting plants in an AeroGarden

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Re: Starting plants in an AeroGarden

Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:20 pm

Stitchingmom wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:22 pm
pepperhead212 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:09 pm Getting too acid is one problem I get with my hydro systems - not sure what does this, especially in the early weeks, when there is little going on, as far as changes from the plants using a lot of nutrients, or decomposition. I have to check frequently, and the color gets down into the red zone, and I put more "ph up" into them, to get them around 6.5, or thereabouts. The buffer doesn't seem to help that much.
What water are you using? I've got good public water, and have never had to treat my water. I checked it at first, but it was always fine.
That's all I ever use, and it's just a little over 7 ph, before the Maxgro is put in, which takes it to about 6.5, in the beginning. It just slowly gets acid, putting absolutely nothing else in, once I get the nutrients to the right level, adding some silica, epsom salts, and some calcium nitrate, before adding the Maxigro, letting it dissolve for a couple of days, and testing, before adding more, and getting the nutrient level to 1.8-2.2 EC. I'm thinking it might be the coir pellets, many of the seeds are started in. I can't believe that those things cause the spikes in ph that quickly - I'll have to squeeze some water out of the ones I'm starting seeds in now, and check the ph! If they are that acid, enough to cause that much water to spike in acid, how could the plants be growing in it?

Once the plants are large, and growing, I can see the acid from that - like in an aquarium, with a lot of fish waste "composting", causing the ph to go down. But this is early.

And something that I do, that I haven't seen anyone mention, is adding something to the water to prevent fungus gnats! I use those mosquito "dunks", with the Bt israelensis, which I also use outside in SIPs and water catching barrels. It doesn't take much in the hydroponics or SIPs - just a few granules of the stuff; after all, one of those dunks covers a lot in an outdoor pond! I put less than 1/4 tsp of a crumbled up dunk in the large tub of mine - about 25 gal. Never had fungus gnat problems, since I've been using that.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

JayneR13
Reactions:

Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:09 am

I use a solid carbon block water filter since I'm on city water and I find the reports from the local utility a bit horrific. My carnivorous plants do well in the filtered water so I'm thinking in my case it's the nutrient solution making the acidity. Perhaps the plant roots contribute as well though?

Greatgardens
Reactions:

Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:24 am

Greatgardens wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:13 am Can anyone explain about the "Nutrient A and B" that comes with most of these AeroGarden-type systems. Also of interest to me is that the original AeroGarden uses a single solution fertilizer. But no checking solids, pH, etc with any of these mini systems.
I'll answer my own question, in case anyone else is interested. From looking at some A+B fertilizers, part A is higher in Nitrogen and lower in P + K, while B is higher in P + K and low in N, so you could customize the nutrients based on what you are growing. I don't see anything on these A+B fertilizers about buffering, I would presume that they depend on changing water every two to three weeks in the Aero-type units.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:13 pm

@JayneR13 , @pepperhead212 plants can naturally release acid into their surroundings in an attempt to solubilize minerals. Could you add limestone chips to your water reservoir to act as a buffer? Would need to be careful how much and monitor pH to see how it changes. I am guessing only small amount needed.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:17 pm

Water softeners work by replacing calcium and magnesium with sodium. Great for getting soap to lather up, but not for plants

JayneR13
Reactions:

Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:32 am

@Whwoz I'm actually using baking soda but that's the plan: a small amount added to my solution and monitor for changes. Always something to learn in the garden, right?

AKgardener
Reactions:

Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:26 pm

I got my unit on a whim I got one called the growwell and another 2 pod one . My husband got me a 3rd but I asked him to cancel it because I wasn’t sure if I was going to really get into it yet and I feel bad but until I learn to use it and get the proper tools I would rather wait until I understand them and actually grow in them . I have a iznik cucumber in the one and just thyme and oregano. And started a micro tomato tiny tiger in the other.. waiting for maters to germinate now..

JayneR13
Reactions:

Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:03 am

I'm more of a dive in and learn as I go person but to each his/her own, right?

AKgardener
Reactions:

Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:54 pm

As am I but I’d rather not argue haha over who is right or wrong on this one it’s a big debate here and I don’t have the energy to explain haha

Greatgardens
Reactions:

Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:41 am

Has anyone here used Mega Crop fertilizer in an Aero? I've used it in EarthBoxes successfully. It is a one-part nutrient which contains trace elements that some of the other ferts. do not have. They also have a two-part Mega Crop that I was not aware of that is used with Calcium Nitrate.

Greatgardens
Reactions:

Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:07 am

I've purchased all my equipment and supplies. I'll make a trial run before starting for the garden in Mar/Apr. My LED grow light is 50 watts concentrated over a very small area with a range of two feet (height). That is way more light and headroom than I've ever had before. It is dramatically brighter than my Gro-Lux tubes that I've always used, so hopefully I'll get some nice stocky seedlings. I've always had trouble with tomatoes getting leggy in the past, except for dwarfs and micros. YouTube has so many great videos on growing stuff in the AeroGarden, the best of which (I think) are "AeroGarden Experiments." He has done over 200 experiments with the AeroGarden and other brands, and has videos to document the progress of many. Really interesting!

AKgardener
Reactions:

Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:34 pm

I planted a Vilma . A red baby bell pepper plant and sweet pickling peppers.. now we wait my cucumber plant is growing but nothing yet

Return to “Hydroponics”