People Pests

MissS
Reactions:

People Pests

Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:03 pm

A few months back I woke up and was enjoying my morning coffee. All of a sudden my dog Murphy starts barking and barking out the back window. I get up to see what the fuss is all about. I saw the top of a gray head of hair behind my perennial garden. I thought it was the man a few doors down coming to check on how our drainage ditch was doing. But then oh no. The head is not behind my garden, it is in my garden. It rose up a bit and it belonged to the lady that lives behind me. 'What is the world is she doing there?' I thought. I watched her a bit more and she stood up and was taking seeds and putting them in her purse. LOL. I was at the door and was going to ask her if I could help her but seeing what she was doing and that it was cold and wet, I just stayed in.

Later that week she was out and I was heading over to let her know that I am quite generous with my seeds and that I would prefer she ask and not just walk into my garden. She saw me and headed inside. This happened a few times. Each time she did it, I became more upset.

Who brings their purse over to their neighbors to take seeds? Who even takes them without asking? Her daughter gardens so I am pretty sure that these are a gift for her. Why would you give a stolen gift? Who would steal a gift for their child?

I know that it is just some seeds and I shouldn't be so upset, but it bothers me that she would walk over and take them without asking. Another reason that I am so bothered by it is that my parents ashes are spread in that garden and these were seeds of a plant that my mom loved. She would have been happy for me to share them but instead she walked on my mother's remains to take take what wasn't hers. That bothers me.

So since I did not have the opportunity to speak with the woman, I needed to do something to ease my anger. I went out and bought myself a T post and a sign. I pounded in the post on the backside of my garden and then attached the sign, "PRIVATE PROPERTY No Trespassing".

It's been a few weeks with it up and no response has come from her. It's okay because I have gotten to say what I needed to. I have been smashing the light bulbs around here to get some anger out. It works! I think I'm over it and can go take the sign down and start the new year in peace.
~ Patti ~

Mark_Thompson
Reactions:

Re: People Pests

Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:59 pm

Some people’s children… I too would be livid.
Wet and windy side of a Hawaiian island, just living the dream

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:13 pm

What a bizarre story.
Stealing is stealing.
It reminds me of Carol Kaye and her story of having her income drastically reduced by many thousands of dollars from people stealing her books off the Internet.
And what she had to say about it.
They were books she wrote on teaching Bass and guitar that she wrote and had sold for years.
She said they were thieves and they wouldn't get any help for her.
Carol Kaye is known as one of the best musicians in America that many people don't know about.
She's 88 years old and people are stealing from her and they think it's no big deal.
Last edited by worth1 on Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

karstopography
Reactions:

Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:22 pm

Sneaky neighbors bad. This Neighbor needs learn how to embrace and express the better points of being human. Opportunity for some growth here.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Cranraspberry
Reactions:

Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:02 am

This is terrible, I remember how violated I felt when our community garden plot was broken into, and that wasn’t even our home! The only thing I can add is that unfortunately it could be a mental health issue. We dealt with a very sad situation with a neighbor over the last year and I am now prone to seeing that as the possible root cause of odd behavior, especially if it’s seemingly out of nowhere.
Small community garden plot in zone 7 (DC area)

Yak54
Reactions:

Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:32 pm

What a strange and bizarre situation ! I can't imagine what she is thinking that makes this ok in her mind ??? You have every right to be upset. Also I wanted to thank you for the "smashing light bulbs" trick. I'll keep it in mind for a time when I may have to use it ! ;)
Dan

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:08 am

Not good, whatever the reason. I think I'd leave the sign up. Some people don't "get the message" and might think it's OK to invade again if the sign is gone. First it's seeds and then maybe veggies later. If people would only ask they might find most gardeners would be happy to share unless, of course, that certain veg is being held back for seed saving!

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:49 pm

From a legal liability standpoint, the sign is a good idea. Without the sign, it would be easier for her to sue you (and win) if she got injured while stealing from you.

Kurt
Reactions:

Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:36 pm

We had a neighbor that acted similar.Does she get USPS mail?Amazon?etc.We did a wellness check and she was all alone but had some kind of care.We checked our property records and she is paid up etc.We sent here a letter Xmas card.She comes over for tea in the mornings on occasion now.

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:54 pm

MissS wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:03 pm A few months back I woke up and was enjoying my morning coffee. All of a sudden my dog Murphy starts barking and barking out the back window. I get up to see what the fuss is all about. I saw the top of a gray head of hair behind my perennial garden. I thought it was the man a few doors down coming to check on how our drainage ditch was doing. But then oh no. The head is not behind my garden, it is in my garden. It rose up a bit and it belonged to the lady that lives behind me. 'What is the world is she doing there?' I thought. I watched her a bit more and she stood up and was taking seeds and putting them in her purse. LOL. I was at the door and was going to ask her if I could help her but seeing what she was doing and that it was cold and wet, I just stayed in.

Later that week she was out and I was heading over to let her know that I am quite generous with my seeds and that I would prefer she ask and not just walk into my garden. She saw me and headed inside. This happened a few times. Each time she did it, I became more upset.

Who brings their purse over to their neighbors to take seeds? Who even takes them without asking? Her daughter gardens so I am pretty sure that these are a gift for her. Why would you give a stolen gift? Who would steal a gift for their child?

I know that it is just some seeds and I shouldn't be so upset, but it bothers me that she would walk over and take them without asking. Another reason that I am so bothered by it is that my parents ashes are spread in that garden and these were seeds of a plant that my mom loved. She would have been happy for me to share them but instead she walked on my mother's remains to take take what wasn't hers. That bothers me.

So since I did not have the opportunity to speak with the woman, I needed to do something to ease my anger. I went out and bought myself a T post and a sign. I pounded in the post on the backside of my garden and then attached the sign, "PRIVATE PROPERTY No Trespassing".

It's been a few weeks with it up and no response has come from her. It's okay because I have gotten to say what I needed to. I have been smashing the light bulbs around here to get some anger out. It works! I think I'm over it and can go take the sign down and start the new year in peace.
If possible, I'd let you smash all of my light bulbs. They shockingly disturb my peace. I finally figured out that I rarely smash them because I'm usually scrolled down to the bottom of a thread, with the bulbs out of sight, prior to zooming the cursor to the top to go somewhere else on the net.

As for the neighbor, it seems like extremely odd behavior, like with someone who may have the beginning stages of dementia. Hopefully, you can have a nice quite talk with her to explain that you're willing to share your seeds, but going into your garden without asking is frowned upon.

Kurt
Reactions:

Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:03 pm

Rather smashing pumpkins.Some light bulbs emit some nastys.

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:01 pm

Kurt wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:03 pm Rather smashing pumpkins.Some light bulbs emit some nastys.
You do understand we're talking about the light bulbs at the top of the page?

Uncle_Feist
Reactions:

Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:00 pm

People are the main reason I quit selling at the farmers market years ago. No mater (pun intended) how offputtingly and secretive I was about my location people would always show up and most every unannounced visitor was a bad experience.

peebee
Reactions:

Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:05 pm

We had an incident last year where a woman walked up to our neighbor's front yard and cut some plumeria branches from their tree. This was done very early in the morning before most folks got up. They only found out after they went outside & saw leaves left on the lawn & obvious cuts on the tree. They checked their security cameras but she was not a known resident. She'd better not come back here again 😠
Zone 10, Southern California
Will eat anything once before I judge.
Anything meaning any foods of course.

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:55 pm

I grow several, but not all, of my tomato varieties, just a few feet from the roadway. Since I am out in the garden quite a bit, anywhere from dawn 'til dusk, I basically know almost everyone who walks, in the neighborhood. I tell them ahead of time, if any tomato has eye appeal, take a few from any plants, but leave some for me. With that offer, they will not go further into the main garden, and possibly do any damage.

Return to “Diseases, Pests & Cures”