Non-finicky varieties?

Everything About Tomatoes
GVGardens
Reactions:

Re: Non-finicky varieties?

Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:08 pm

Tormato wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:17 pm JImmy Nardello is a very productive pepper. I just wonder what people will do with it when they bring it home. Cutting it open, will they be disappointed that it's extremely thin, great for frying but not much else? I'd think that most would want a thick-walled pepper.
So the popularity of Jimmy Nardello surprised me for that reason. And because it looks like a hot pepper. I was told they liked it and said it was "good for stew" [which is not what I would've thought]. We just threw it in there because someone had extra transplants. Lunchbox or Gypsy or Gypsy Queens (OP) would be what I'd pick if we were doing peppers this year.
Last edited by GVGardens on Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clay soil in the Texas Hill Country, Zone 9b-ish
Yearly precipitation: 35 inches

Cranraspberry
Reactions:

Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:11 pm

@Seven Bends scratching Bodacious. I read a lot of the reviews on Burpee’s site, and
many people were upset about this “disease laughing” tomato being one of the first to die. At least one review specifically called it out for NOT being fusarium-resistant. But for some reason I’m curious about it, maybe I’ll grow it in a grow bag one of these years.

And thank you for the offer, I’ll PM you!

We invited some friends over for a cookout last year and served grilled Nardellos. Since there were kids I had to repeat multiple times that they are sweet, not spicy at all, so it’s definitely an unusual one. I personally prefer thin walled peppers (Cubanelles are my favorite type, that’s what my grandma would grow), but I can see anything that isn’t standard blocky bell shaped being potentially confusing if you’ve never had it before.
Small community garden plot in zone 7 (DC area)

Cranraspberry
Reactions:

Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:50 pm

@JRinPA I just wanted to let you know that I responded to your PM, but for some reason the message appears to be stuck in the Outbox. Not sure if you’re receiving anything.

rossomendblot
Reactions:

Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:35 pm

Seven Bends wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:52 pmBodacious has no specified disease resistance, other than catalog-speak of "laugh-off blight resistance," without specifying what kind of blight. Presumably not resistant to fusarium, since they don't claim it. Better Boy and Whopper both have several claimed disease resistances, including Fusarium 1 for Better Boy and Fusarium 1 and 2 for Whopper.
Bodacious is called Burlesque over here, and the Burpee Europe catalogue lists it as having high resistance to verticillium and fusarium wilt, and intermediate resistance to late blight.

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:54 pm

rossomendblot wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:35 pm
Seven Bends wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:52 pmBodacious has no specified disease resistance, other than catalog-speak of "laugh-off blight resistance," without specifying what kind of blight. Presumably not resistant to fusarium, since they don't claim it. Better Boy and Whopper both have several claimed disease resistances, including Fusarium 1 for Better Boy and Fusarium 1 and 2 for Whopper.
Bodacious is called Burlesque over here, and the Burpee Europe catalogue lists it as having high resistance to verticillium and fusarium wilt, and intermediate resistance to late blight.
Interesting, thank you. Thanks to your post, I found the Burpee Europe 2023 catalog and see the resistances listed as HR: VE, FOL IR Pi. I wonder why no disease resistance is specified for the US market, other than the vague "blight" in the text description.

Here's a link to Burpee's (US) current online listing of their disease-resistant varieties: https://www.burpee.com/blog/disease-res ... aphic.html
Maybe they just haven't updated it since the release of Bodacious a few years ago. I've done a lot of googling of it, though, and can't find any other mention of its disease resistance.

MissS
Reactions:

Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:49 pm

Cranraspberry wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:50 pm @JRinPA I just wanted to let you know that I responded to your PM, but for some reason the message appears to be stuck in the Outbox. Not sure if you’re receiving anything.
Your sent messages will show up in your outbox until the person opens the message. It's a nice feature so you know when someone has read it. It's just confusing until you know how this system works.
~ Patti ~

Dawn
Reactions:

Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:52 am

Juliet
Dawn
Zone 6b/7a
Central Washington State (it's a desert here)

TomatoNut95
Reactions:

Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:21 am

@Dawn What's the oxheart tomato in your profile pic? That's beautiful!
Anne

Dawn
Reactions:

Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:59 am

Orange Russian 117
Dawn
Zone 6b/7a

Cranraspberry
Reactions:

Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:05 pm

@MissS I was hoping that was the case, thank you!

PNW_D
Reactions:

Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:58 pm

watched a recent tomato talk with Brad Gates ...... he described Barry's Crazy Cherry as bulletproof .....
Zone 8b

Dawn
Reactions:

Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:03 pm

Barry's Crazy Cherry really is, but lacks flavor for many people. Mine were terrible and bland. My dog liked them.
Dawn
Zone 6b/7a

Cranraspberry
Reactions:

Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:59 am

Interesting, I had heard about Barry’s but didn’t realize that flavor could be an issue. I think I’ve finalized my list and to save some shelf/grow light space I will be buying whatever cherries our local nursery carries.

Here’s what I have:
Indeterminates - Supersonic and Estiva
Determinates - BHN 589 and Celebrity
Heirloom - Russian 117

Huge thank you to everyone for your help with both brainstorming and offering to send seeds!

lindalana
Reactions:

Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:21 am

I have been donating my traditional heirloom varieties to people that grow for food pantries for some years now. Always had good reports back. Properly grown, heirlooms will keep nicely but it is still perishable food. Over the years I had good luck- tomatoes will need less watering during ripening period and can be picked up at blushing stage.
Eventually I have downgraded my varieties to couple of dozens of "reliable performance no matter what weather throws in" and prolific producers.

Return to “Tomato Talk”