2024 Giant Tomato Seed Offer - for Contest

MissS
Reactions:

2024 Giant Tomato Seed Offer - for Contest

Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:19 pm

It's time for the 2024 Giant Tomato Seed Offer!

Seed is limited to those participating in the 2024 Giant Tomato Contest since it is purchased seed and there is not enough seed to go around for everyone on the forum. (NOTE - YOU DO NOT HAVE TO USE THESE SEEDS TO PARTICIPATE IN THE CONTEST) This offer is a means for you to get some larger varieties to grow, enable a monster passion and most of all to have fun!

To be eligible for seed you must be a Tomato Junction member in good standing for a minimum of two weeks and have introduced yourself as well as made five additional posts on the main board that are not associated with requesting seed.

Everyone is to grow out a minimum of one variety of seed that they ask for, weigh and post pictures of their grow out. It’s fun to watch these big guys grow and we all enjoy watching the race to the finish line. So, share the joy, your growing methods and pics.

If you requested seed last year and did not grow any of them out or participate in the contest, then please do not ask for more. It is costly and not fair to the other participants, but we will be more than happy to have you participate in this year’s contest growing what you already have, just post us some pics in the competition thread. You are also welcome to participate in the competition using your own seeds.

You may request up to 4 varieties. You will receive 2-3 seeds and maybe less if I have to split a few seeds for several people. Please include 2 alternative choices in the event I run out or lose them :o

To make your request PM me your choices and confirm that you will be documenting your grow out with pics and a final weight of your mater(s). You will also need to send me a SASE with a list of the varieties that you request and your username on the Junction.

This year’s selections so far are:

AH Scorpii
Anna’s Kentucky
A.Z. Cutler
Big Lou – Large 3+lb mystery mater MissS 2023
Big Zac
Big Zac F1
Bigzarro
Brunette
Delicious
Delicious Hunt Strain
Diamante
Dinner Plate
Domingo
Domingo Sutherland strain. Sutherland has held the world record 7 times.
Domingo x Big Zac – Maui Grown 2023
Domingo x Libanaise des Montagnes
Donskoi
Dutchman
Epstein’s Big Zac
Epstein’s Potato Leaf
Frank’s Large Red
Giant Monster
Goatbag
Gordo de Patones
Halo
Hercegovac
Hoy
Hungry Hill Pink
King Kong – Dan Bregar
Leadbeatter’s Lunker
Livingston’s Giant Oxheart
Mega Marv - Max Johnson 2023 2lbs
No Carolina Pink
Olena Ukrainian
Rozovyi Gigant
Sakharrnyi Zheltyi - Wodhouse 3.1 lb tomato
Shackelford Giant Pink
Valena Pink
Wes x Big Zac
Westerlund
West Virginia Sweet Meat
Zapotec Oaxacan Ribbed

Updates will be made and additions are possible.

Let the rumpus begin!
~ Patti ~

FatBeeFarm
Reactions:

Re: 2024 Giant Tomto Seed Offer - for Contest

Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:02 am

Sounds like fun, I'll give it a go! :) I'm not familiar with any of these, so I'll take whatever you think will work well in NH. Shall I send a SASE?
Bee happy and pollinate freely!

FatBeeFarm
Reactions:

Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:03 am

Oops, sorry, think I got excited and missed the last paragraph momentarily, lol. I'll PM
Bee happy and pollinate freely!

MissS
Reactions:

Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:03 pm

FatBeeFarm wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:03 am Oops, sorry, think I got excited and missed the last paragraph momentarily, lol. I'll PM
We gotta watch this one. He's already trying to jump out of the gate and he doesn't even have a mount yet :o
~ Patti ~

NYTomatoNewbie
Reactions:

Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:57 pm

I am going to be growing Big Momma (not Mama) and will definitely submit if I can get a respectable specimen. I had a massive one last year in a community garden and when I came to harvest it was gone. Trying again on private property in a fenced garden. I read through last years comments and this looked really fun. Thank you for heading this.

MissS
Reactions:

Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:21 pm

Added Sakharni Zheltyi courtesy of Wodehouse.
~ Patti ~

MissS
Reactions:

Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:45 pm

I went to the Big Pumpkin Seed Auction and won us some fabulous competition seeds. I will not be adding them to the trade list right now, but everyone participating is welcome to 3 World Class seeds. I haven't decided a fair way to decide who gets which seed. Any suggestions are more than welcome. Each seed has the potential to be the new world record. The rest will be on your growing technique.
~ Patti ~

MissS
Reactions:

Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:05 pm

The first lot won of the World Class Pumpkin seeds has arrived. It's getting late and I'm sure that many of you are waiting for them. Since there are only 4-5 seeds from each tomato, I find it hard to distribute them fairly. They all have an amazing pedigree. Do not feel slighted if your seed comes from a lessor weight tomato. From looking at the genealogy, most of the records have been grown from a lessor weight tomato. In fact, most of these lessor seeds are from the same tomato that did produce the state record fruit.

So how we will do this is that I will bag 1 seed per bag and give each tomato it's own number. All seeds from that tomato will be given the same number. There will be 3-4 bags for each tomato. Each of you can choose three numbers #1-6 for now. If you want to wait a few more days I will add more when the next lot arrives and let you know when I do that. I will include your seeds with the other varieties that you have chosen. So please let me know which World Class #'s you want to place your bets on and add to your stable.

These seeds were expensive so, if you request them, then I ask that you return the first 20 seeds from your largest tomato off of each plant. Even if you manage to get the next world record, those first seeds come back to the Junction. You can sell the rest or whatever you would like.

I will post a chart of the tomatoes so that you will know your seeds origins and pedigree.

I will also say that the seeds labeled as "Big Lou" are a Domingo cross by Dan Sutherland who is the master of growing the giant tomatoes. The problem is, I don't know which cross that is because my plant was not labeled.
~ Patti ~

MissS
Reactions:

Re: 2024 Giant Tomato Seed Offer - for Contest

Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:49 am

The second lot of competition tomato seeds has finally arrived. These are seeds from 8 different world class tomatoes grown by the top growers in the world. If you are interested in growing the biggest tomato of your life which will still taste good then PM me. I am packing one seed per packet as I only have 4-5 seeds from each tomato. You may choose 3 different seeds. To be fair to everyone please pick three numbers from 7-15 and PM me your choices, agree to send the minimum of 20 seeds back to me and send me a SASE.

It's all about using the right seed and giving it the right care.
~ Patti ~

MissS
Reactions:

Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:47 pm

I had a very nice and long conversation with the 7 time World Record Champion Tomato grower, Dan Sutherland. I ordered 40 Domingo seeds from him. He will not part with the seed of the 17lb tomato he grew or it's parent but is happy to share some some amazing seeds none the less. They have been added to the seed offer. If you would like some let me know. If I have already sent out your seed request, just PM me your address and I will send them on their way!

I am so looking forward to see what this contest brings us this year! While we are all newbie competition growers, we are using the best seed that is available to grow them!
~ Patti ~

TomatoNut95
Reactions:

Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:17 pm

@MissS I don't suppose Michael's Portuguese Monster could be obtained for this contest? 🤔
Anne

MissS
Reactions:

Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:20 pm

TomatoNut95 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:17 pm @MissS I don't suppose Michael's Portuguese Monster could be obtained for this contest? 🤔
Yes it could. But not for this year. I spent enough. I will make note and try to remember for next year. Otherwise, please remind this old lady in the fall.
~ Patti ~

MissS
Reactions:

Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:02 pm

I'm so sorry for the long delay in getting seeds out this year. I had a family illness and then a short hospital stay and some recoup time with a bout of phenomena. Everyone's seeds should been received or PM'd from me that they are on the way. If you have not received your seeds or if you did not get a PM from me, please let me know right away so that I can address it.

Good luck everyone. We have the best of the best seeds to work with. Let's show them how the newbies can do!
~ Patti ~

Return to “Seed Offers”