Recommended Gold Paste Varieties

Everything About Tomatoes
JosephineRose
Reactions:

Recommended Gold Paste Varieties

Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:44 pm

I find myself watching YouTube on my smartTV most of the time, and I keep coming across one particular channel that swears by a paste variety named "Illini Gold" for "sunrise sauce."

A golden paste tomato is something I have never considered, but this gal almost has me convinced. I have never heard much buzz about Illini Gold either here or at the other place, so I suspect it may not be the best variety to start with. In fact, I find it hard to locate seeds anywhere but Southern Exposure Seed Exchange.

Has anyone ventured down the path of orange/gold paste tomatoes that can recommend some great tasting/good producing varieties? Nothing quite like an untapped tomato category to catch my interest.

I am clearly an addict in need of an intervention...
Melissa
Zone: 10A
Climate: Warm Summer Mediterranean
Avg annual rainfall: 23.96"

karstopography
Reactions:

Re: Recommended Gold Paste Varieties

Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:46 pm

I’m growing Creamsicle Grape this season for the first time. It’s labeled as a small paste and the color is very similar to that Illini Gold from the photos I saw. I’m growing Creamsicle Grape to dehydrate

I grew Buratino, a larger orangy yellow paste a couple of years ago. I don’t think I gave Buratino the best spot in the garden or enough attention to fairly evaluate that one.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Mark_Thompson
Reactions:

Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:00 pm

Not a true paste but Orange Icicle did very well for me. Wispy plant that was a heavy producer. Black Icicle does the same. Used both in sauce with good results.
Wet and windy side of a Hawaiian island, just living the dream

FatBeeFarm
Reactions:

Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:03 pm

retracted....web site was goofing yesterday
Last edited by FatBeeFarm on Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bee happy and pollinate freely!

Whwoz
Reactions:

Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:35 pm

Have several others, of which I bottled a straight varietal batch of USDA 97L97 recently and put a couple of photos in my glog recently. This one sounds interesting, pity it's not available Down Under.

maf
Reactions:

Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:58 pm

Burning Spear is another - developed from a cross of Amish Paste and SUngold F1.

JosephineRose
Reactions:

Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:58 am

karstopography wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:46 pm I’m growing Creamsicle Grape this season for the first time. It’s labeled as a small paste and the color is very similar to that Illini Gold from the photos I saw. I’m growing Creamsicle Grape to dehydrate

I grew Buratino, a larger orangy yellow paste a couple of years ago. I don’t think I gave Buratino the best spot in the garden or enough attention to fairly evaluate that one.
Was Creamsicle Grape an Artisan seeds variety?
Melissa

OhioKate
Reactions:

Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:03 pm

If you're open to a Roma type, Italian Gold is excellent. I've grown it for the last few years and it's been very productive.

karstopography
Reactions:

Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:07 pm

JosephineRose wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:58 am
karstopography wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:46 pm I’m growing Creamsicle Grape this season for the first time. It’s labeled as a small paste and the color is very similar to that Illini Gold from the photos I saw. I’m growing Creamsicle Grape to dehydrate

I believe so, but the seeds I planted are not directly from them or another commercial vendor.

Was Creamsicle Grape an Artisan seeds variety?
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Acer Rubrum
Reactions:

Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:59 am

I've tried a number of orange paste varieties and my conclusion (so far) is that Golden Fang aka Zolotoy Klik is the best one. It's very productive, fairly good sized, peels well and the taste is awesome imo. I'm have 8 sprouted right now for our paste tomato row.

I haven't found one that I really don't like, just some that I like better than others. I've tried all the ones mentioned here so far except Illini Gold and Burning Spear. Orange Paste (from Seeds Treasures) and Yellow Fire are two others I've tried and that have done well.

This isn't stopping me from trying a few more this year, lol. I've planted Roman Candle, Giant Orange Pear, Darren's Yellow Speckled Hogheart ( which I tried unsuccessfully last year), Butterscotch Paste and an obscure Russian one called Gold of the East. Many of them have already sprouted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:49 am

Few and far between is how I call yellow/gold/orange "paste" tomatoes. I'm not even sure if there are any dry-fleshed ones. Most people use small juicy plum-shaped varieties, or the elongated types, like the "banana/icicle" ones.

A search through Tatiana's TOMATObase in the yellow/orange category can help find varieties. Aladdin's Lamp is one that is sometimes used for sauce/canning.

If it were me I'd try using standard beefsteaks and hearts. Mixing several varieties (reds and pinks) of various (fresh) flavors has always given me the best tasting red sauce. For a gold sauce, I'd likely start with Aunt Gertie's Gold (tart) and Lillian's Yellow Heirloom (sweet).

CrazyAboutOrchids
Reactions:

Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:35 am

Not a gold/yellow/orange.... but if you want an amazing paste, look for Pomodoro Cuore Antico di Acqui Terme. I don't have to seed to share currently, but they are the biggest darn paste tomatoes ever. Decent taste on it's own as well. If you don't find, make a note and reach out to me in the Fall.
- Sandy zone 6A

Fusion_power
Reactions:

Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:36 am

Italian Gold is a good tomato for sauce/paste. About 20 years ago, Nichols sold a hybrid "Italian Gold". It was discontinued around 15 years ago. A few people grew and saved seed leading to the open pollinated version available today. http://knapps-fresh-vegies.netfirms.com/it-gold.html

JosephineRose
Reactions:

Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:32 pm

Thank you everyone! I have started hunting down several of these suggestions.
Melissa

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:46 pm

JosephineRose wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:44 pm I find myself watching YouTube on my smartTV most of the time, and I keep coming across one particular channel that swears by a paste variety named "Illini Gold" for "sunrise sauce."

A golden paste tomato is something I have never considered, but this gal almost has me convinced. I have never heard much buzz about Illini Gold either here or at the other place, so I suspect it may not be the best variety to start with. In fact, I find it hard to locate seeds anywhere but Southern Exposure Seed Exchange.

Has anyone ventured down the path of orange/gold paste tomatoes that can recommend some great tasting/good producing varieties? Nothing quite like an untapped tomato category to catch my interest.

I am clearly an addict in need of an intervention...
To me, the intervention was making a "quick sauce" (barely cooking sliced in half tomatoes), using SunGold cherries. I read about making it on the internet. The sauce was truly hideous.

And, using SunGold in a tuna melt is also awful, in my opinion.

rdback
Reactions:

Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:01 am

]Re: Italian Gold

I read the posts above about IG, and it sounds pretty good to me. So, I checked my notes and, sure enough, I've already grown it. Now, here's my comments about IG:

"2013 - Over-hyped. Nice color, but that's it. Very low production. Mushy flesh. Low tomato flavor - tastes more like vanilla icing than a tomato."

Made me chuckle. I have NO recollection of IG, and I certainly don't remember a tomato that tasted like cake icing, lol. But, I just thought I would share an opposing (?) view.

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:25 pm

rdback wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:01 am ]Re: Italian Gold

I read the posts above about IG, and it sounds pretty good to me. So, I checked my notes and, sure enough, I've already grown it. Now, here's my comments about IG:

"2013 - Over-hyped. Nice color, but that's it. Very low production. Mushy flesh. Low tomato flavor - tastes more like vanilla icing than a tomato."

Made me chuckle. I have NO recollection of IG, and I certainly don't remember a tomato that tasted like cake icing, lol. But, I just thought I would share an opposing (?) view.
I grew Italian Gold in 2021 (two plants) and found it to be healthy and productive, compact and very bushy with rugose leaves, but I didn't like the flavor. I didn't notice vanilla (!), and it wasn't particularly sweet -- I found it to have a bit of winter squash/pumpkin aftertaste that I also disliked in Jaune Flamme but haven't noticed in other gold/yellow/orange tomatoes I've grown. It had a typical paste tomato texture, not great for eating fresh (and I didn't expect it to be, so that was fine). The plant size, health and productivity were big pluses, so it would be a good choice for anyone who likes the taste.

Return to “Tomato Talk”