Point cut or flat cut?

Share your recipes and cooking tips!
worth1
Reactions:

Re: Point cut or flat cut?

Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:20 am

@karstopography
No offense intended.

It's just something I had no idea other people have never heard of or eaten.
I can't count how many people I've met that have never heard of corned beef.
My dad married someone way out of his class or demographics when it came to food.
And that's where I picked it up.
None of my other four siblings picked it up or paid attention except maybe for my oldest brother that I loved so much.
They were half brothers who's Mom died from cancer and my Mom was their step mom.
My sister was my full sister and she didn't give a hoot about spices and cooking unless it was sweets.
My Dads Mom would let us cook when we were little kids as well.
Usually brownies or chocolate muffins.
The there was Mrs Long that lived in the woods that let me cook.
She didn't have running water but a well in the house right in front of her sink.
And the other Flathead Indian lady down the road that made stuff.
I was always hanging out in the kitchen usually with a lady in her 60s or 70s teaching me the old tricks and food ways of our past.
Basically at a very early age I learned that if I wanted something I had to make it.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:35 pm

karstopography wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:50 am I’ve got a corned beef point in the fridge. @Tormato

I’ve read about several ways to cook that point from braising in the slow cooker or wrapped in foil and put in the oven or put out on the smoker to convert the corned beef into pastrami. Some folks soak their corned beef points is water overnight to remove the excess salt, others simply rinse, some retain the brining liquid and others discard.

I too want to make a Reuben Sandwich. I have delicious homemade sauerkraut with caraway seeds. I can get the rye bread, swiss cheese and thousand islands dressing, but I don’t know what to do with the corned beef.
If you make it into pastrami, look up the Rachel sandwich. ;) Some use pastrami, some use turkey.

To me, a Reuben has to be corned beef simmered in water, and kept in water until just before slicing.

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:25 pm

worth1 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:50 am
Shule wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:19 pm
worth1 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:47 am They had 2 corned beef brisket left at the store yesterday.
Both flat and I didn't get either one for $24.
Opted for some fine localy made Slovacek sausage links instead.
What cabbage left was the size of a softball. :(
Didn't get any.
Looks like sausage links and small red taters with butter.
Hey, if you can't get cabbage where you live (not particularly for the purpose you had in mind), have you ever considered using prickly pear tunas? They're a pretty good vegetable. They taste more like peppers than they taste like cabbage, though, but they cook well like cabbage cooks well (in stir fry and such).
We normally have a good amount of cabbage at the store.
There was probably a rush on it or supply issues.
I have a big head in the refrigerator now.

Prickly pear tunas are the fruit they put out the fresh pads are called nopal or nopale plural.
I can't stand them.
Sour and slimy. :lol:
Oh, sorry. I thought tunas were the pads for some odd reason.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

karstopography
Reactions:

Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:36 pm

IMG_3692.jpeg
IMG_3695.jpeg
IMG_3696.jpeg
IMG_3697.jpeg
IMG_3699.jpeg
Awesomeness! Wife and I both agree, this was delicious.

Simmered the two pound point for about 2 hours.

Wife researched the assembly. Thousand Island went on insides of both pieces of Jewish Rye. Then the Swiss cheese, next the sauerkraut. I briefly rinsed and drained the sauerkraut just to tone down the sourness.

I sliced against the grain the corned beef as thin as I could. The flavor of the beef was perfect. I had rinsed the brine off and put the point in plain water to simmer. The salt level wasn’t overwhelming.

The rye bread was toasted in butter on both pieces.

This was a leaner, less corned beef version than a standard deli sandwich. There is always too much beef in a deli Reuben so I deliberately backed off the meat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Return to “What's Cooking.”