Culinary Conversations

Share your recipes and cooking tips!
Sue_CT
Reactions:

Re: Culinary Conversations

Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:28 pm

I was given 2 lbs of fresh jalapeño’s. One of my favorite sauces is called gator drool, it’s only “aged jalapeño pepper purée”, garlic, onion, vinegar, lime, cilantro, ascorbic acid and xanthan gum. I want something that will last a while and if it’s good that I could give to a couple of people. Anyone able to tell me how to make a hot sauce out of them? Thanks!

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:54 am

Sue_CT wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:28 pm I was given 2 lbs of fresh jalapeño’s. One of my favorite sauces is called gator drool, it’s only “aged jalapeño pepper purée”, garlic, onion, vinegar, lime, cilantro, ascorbic acid and xanthan gum. I want something that will last a while and if it’s good that I could give to a couple of people. Anyone able to tell me how to make a hot sauce out of them? Thanks!
I don't really have any good green pepper hot sauce recipes to share.
I can say don't add anything red because it'll turn the hot sauce a disgusting brownish color.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:13 am

Thanks, Worth. Can’t I do it the same as you do other peppers? And just make up my own recipe? I have no idea even what the process is or how long it would be good for. Is it freezable? Anyone else make their own?

karstopography
Reactions:

Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:38 am

I’ve made a few pepper sauces. Lacto- Fermented and ones preserved with vinegar. The two recipes in the links below are vinegar based.

https://www.foxvalleyfoodie.com/homemad ... i-peppers/

The link above has one that got great reviews from my family. I used super chilis, not thai.

https://www.mexicanplease.com/jalapeno- ... ce-recipe/

Link has one with green jalapeños and also uses vinegar. I did a fermented one that used coriander instead of the Mexican oregano and that was popular amongst the family. I think I had a mix of mildly hot peppers including jalapeños.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:20 am

Wildcat82 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:43 pm
worth1 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:00 pm Just got a double cheeseburger hamburger fries and coke from P Terry's.
P Terry's is a local burger place that advertises as a higher quality eating establishment and as far as I'm concerned they fit the bill.

The burger was excellent and the total was just under 10 dollars.

It actually looked like the picture too.
Much better than what Whataburger has turned into.
I just had to have one to see what they were like.
I see P Terry's around San Antonio but I've never eaten there. Maybe I'll have to try it sometime. Never tried Storm's burgers either but I've seen a number of their stores along Highway 281 going through the Hill country. Not sure but I think it's a local chain.
Storms goes way back to my childhood when it was called Dairy Cue.
It originally came from Lampasas where I was born but the family history of cooking and serving food goes way back to the 1800s in other part of Texas.
Elvis Presley use to eat at the one in Lampasas when he was stationed in Fort Hood.
In 1970 they changed the name to Storms.
I can't count how many times I've eaten there in my life.

One time right out of the Marines I was staying with my brother out on the ranch.
My niece said she was fixing spaghetti for supper.
I was so excited I couldn't control myself.
Then something horrible happened.
She put the cooked spaghetti in with a jar of Ragu sauce and chopped it all up in little pieces.
Totally disgusting.
Without saying a word I got in my 68 Chevy Impala and drove into town and had a hamburger fries and a drink at Storms.

I highly suggest the Storms special with 3 meat patties.
Their meat patties are thin and flavorful.

https://issuu.com/ourhometownsmagazine/ ... s/12272392
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Wildcat82
Reactions:

Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:23 pm

worth1 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:20 am
Wildcat82 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:43 pm
worth1 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:00 pm Just got a double cheeseburger hamburger fries and coke from P Terry's.
P Terry's is a local burger place that advertises as a higher quality eating establishment and as far as I'm concerned they fit the bill.

The burger was excellent and the total was just under 10 dollars.

It actually looked like the picture too.
Much better than what Whataburger has turned into.
I just had to have one to see what they were like.
I see P Terry's around San Antonio but I've never eaten there. Maybe I'll have to try it sometime. Never tried Storm's burgers either but I've seen a number of their stores along Highway 281 going through the Hill country. Not sure but I think it's a local chain.
Storms goes way back to my childhood when it was called Dairy Cue.
It originally came from Lampasas where I was born but the family history of cooking and serving food goes way back to the 1800s in other part of Texas.
Elvis Presley use to eat at the one in Lampasas when he was stationed in Fort Hood.
In 1970 they changed the name to Storms.
I can't count how many times I've eaten there in my life.

One time right out of the Marines I was staying with my brother out on the ranch.
My niece said she was fixing spaghetti for supper.
I was so excited I couldn't control myself.
Then something horrible happened.
She put the cooked spaghetti in with a jar of Ragu sauce and chopped it all up in little pieces.
Totally disgusting.
Without saying a word I got in my 68 Chevy Impala and drove into town and had a hamburger fries and a drink at Storms.

I highly suggest the Storms special with 3 meat patties.
Their meat patties are thin and flavorful.

https://issuu.com/ourhometownsmagazine/ ... s/12272392
When I stationed at Sheppard AFB in Wichita Falls, my wife and kids stayed in San Antonio so I commuted every other week. Probably been in Lampasas 75 times. Beautiful park along the road. Most times I stopped and ate at the Dutchman's Hidden Valley just north of Hamilton and picked up some buffalo sausage.

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:26 pm

That jalapeño one sounds good. How did you ferment the peppers? I have never fermented anything, but would that make it keep any longer?

karstopography
Reactions:

Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:39 pm

Sue_CT wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:26 pm That jalapeño one sounds good. How did you ferment the peppers? I have never fermented anything, but would that make it keep any longer?
https://thehouseandhomestead.com/fermented-jalapenos/

Link has recipe for fermented jalapeños. 3-5 percent no iodine added salt to weight of peppers, spices, etc and the non chlorinated water. Salt levels at that range discourage any bad bacteria to be be able to flourish in favor of lactic acid producing bacteria. Once the ferment has progressed far enough , the acidity level is high enough , the ph gets below 4.6 to preserve the sauce.

Most of the famous hot sauces like Tabasco or crystal sauce are fermented sauces.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:44 pm

Great, thank you!

Return to “What's Cooking.”