What pepper varieties are you growing for 2020

Discussion and tips for growing all types of peppers
maxjohnson
Reactions:

Re: What pepper varieties are you growing for 2020

Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:20 am

I have some Better Belle II left, I didn't know they are up to IV now. It is excellent and was my favorite variety, but I'm trying hard to switch more into open pollinated so this year I'm doing King of the North Improved.

karstopography
Reactions:

Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:40 am

maxjohnson wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:20 am I have some Better Belle II left, I didn't know they are up to IV now. It is excellent and was my favorite variety, but I'm trying hard to switch more into open pollinated so this year I'm doing King of the North Improved.
I picked up two Better Belle IV plants at HD as, shockingly, they had nice looking, robust starters for $2.00. I also got a Red Standard 2 plant at HD for that same deal.

For my other Bell Peppers, I started and transplanted the hybrids Sweet Bella, Red Knight, and then the OP Jupiter. I think Red Knight is the only other bell pepper plant that currently has peppers of any size. The rest look like they are setting some fruit.

I’m hopeful at least one of these plants gives me a couple of big and blocky peppers that I can stuff. Sweet Bella was a nice pepper last year. I wouldn’t mind a couple of red ripe peppers from any of these that I could roast.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

CrazyAboutOrchids
Reactions:

Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:13 am

Peppers are NOT going well for me this year! I don't grow many but do like to have 2 - 3 bell peppers, a banana, a pepperoncini and at least 6 - 8 jalapenos. The bells are simply for fresh eating for hubby and son (give me burps), but the rest are for chilis and salsa and cowboy candy and salads, etc. - in other words, they are a necessity!

I tried starting seed in Fox Farms Light Warrior, then restarted some more, then plastic baggy #1, now on plastic baggy #2. Seed shouldn't be old, but acting like it. Have had results, finally, except with my bell and banana pepper seed. Looks like I will be looking for new seed next year and may end up having to buy starter plants!

I am growing, or was trying to grow... * means zippo, nada, zilch germination....

Bells
Sublime *
Delerio *
Big Red (1 came up)

Jalapeno
Primo
Goliath
Early
Big guy *

Sweet Banana *
Golden Greek Pepperoncini
- Sandy zone 6A

karstopography
Reactions:

Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:21 am

CrazyAboutOrchids wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:13 am Peppers are NOT going well for me this year! I don't grow many but do like to have 2 - 3 bell peppers, a banana, a pepperoncini and at least 6 - 8 jalapenos. The bells are simply for fresh eating for hubby and son (give me burps), but the rest are for chilis and salsa and cowboy candy and salads, etc. - in other words, they are a necessity!

I tried starting seed in Fox Farms Light Warrior, then restarted some more, then plastic baggy #1, now on plastic baggy #2. Seed shouldn't be old, but acting like it. Have had results, finally, except with my bell and banana pepper seed. Looks like I will be looking for new seed next year and may end up having to buy starter plants!

I am growing, or was trying to grow... * means zippo, nada, zilch germination....

Bells
Sublime *
Delerio *
Big Red (1 came up)

Jalapeno
Primo
Goliath
Early
Big guy *

Sweet Banana *
Golden Greek Pepperoncini
I started Farmer’s Market Jalapeno from seed and believed I had three of them transplanted, but one looks very much like a padrón, the other very much like a Serrano, and the third Idk. The padrón I understand as I had padrón seeded, but it never came up so I overseeded FMJ in the Padrón cell. I guess the Padrón seed wasn’t dead after all. Maybe the Serrano got washed over from a neighboring cell. I hope the third FMJ is a truly a FMJ, but whatever peppers might be on the plant are too small to know what they are.

Good thing I later picked up some jalapeño starter plants at Riefels and HD or I might not have any. Both my Megatron jalapeño pepper plants have massive jalapeños on them, but I’m leaving them on the plants for now. The two Jalapeño M I got much later and the plants are still small and don’t really look that great yet and are the weakest looking peppers I have this season, maybe they’ll perk up in time.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Yak54
Reactions:

Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:58 am

I sowed Anaheim, Chervena Chushka, Hatch Mild, and Giuseppe seeds yesterday. Got the propagation mat cranked up to 84 deg..
Should see some sprouting in 7-8 days. :)
Dan

Yak54
Reactions:

Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:34 am

IMG_0413 Large.jpeg
In another week or so they should be ready to pot up.
IMG_0413 Large.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dan

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:58 pm

Habanada and Nadapeno for my family members who love hot peppers but are now allergic to capsaicin. We are hoping these will be a safe compromise.
Dreamcatcher F5 from Forgotten Heirlooms is a hot pepper I am growing as an ornamental plant.
Orangey Lesya sweet peppers from seeds I saved last year.
Wyoming
Zone 5
Elevation : 6,063 ft
Climate : semi-arid
Avg annual rainfall = 16 inches

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:00 am

almost all sweet peppers (*new to me)
Ajvarski
*Chocolate Beauty
*Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Wild Wonder
*Gatherer’s Gold
*Goldstrike
Gourmet F1
*Hungarian Magyar
*Italia
Lesya
*Mega Marconi
*Mulato Isleno [spicy]
*Red Ruffled Pimento
Slonovo Uvo
Sweet Chocolate

Kurt
Reactions:

Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:40 pm

IMG_0474.jpeg
We are going as usual every year with the superhots.These come from The Chilli Factory from down under AU.These are Butch T.Scorpians Moruga.World record holders.
IMG_0475.jpeg
IMG_0476.jpeg
IMG_0477.jpeg
We use Qtips for faster pollinization,do not mix the tips for crosses!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bower
Reactions:

Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:52 pm

This year I started peppers and tomatoes late and at the same time, instead of peppers first.
Keeping it simple, I have some Jimmy Nardello (old favorite), Tres Long des Landes (France) and for a hot, Piment d'Esplette Gorria.

Super Shepherd was going to be part of the mix, but didn't germinate. That's okay as I have lots of the others.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Return to “The Pepper Patch”