Runway Arugula Seed Saving

karstopography
Reactions:

Runway Arugula Seed Saving

Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:02 pm

IMG_3964.jpeg
Saved a portion of my runway arugula (Eruca sativa) today. I’ll allow it to continue to air dry for a few days and then bag up for next season. I’ve got plenty more that isn’t yet dry enough in the pods.

Hope to share some for the next MMMM swap should that be our good fortune to have another swap.

Runway arugula seed was originally purchased from Renee’s Garden. This seed here came from plants grown from seed I saved last year.

It’s a mild type arugula.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

bower
Reactions:

Re: Runway Arugula Seed Saving

Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:25 pm

My overwintered Astro is bolting now in the greenhouse. I need to set some plants aside in a pot for seed.
Arugula always seems to take a long time to ripen seeds, but it's great to have them, and I do try to save some every year.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Re: Runway Arugula Seed Saving

Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:33 pm

I've been saving mine for a long time every year and right now mine are starting to bolt. They're just plain old arugula; I don't think they had a varietal name. This year they didn't grow as large as they usually do. Maybe after so long the vitality is running out? I'll save some but probably get some fresh seed.

Return to “Seed Saving Methods, Tips & Discussion”