Why we don't see other colors or even striped tomatoes in the supermarket?

Everything About Tomatoes
Moth1992
Reactions:

Re: Why we don't see other colors or even striped tomatoes in the supermarket?

Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:23 pm

I dont care about the color, whats beyond me us why american supermarket tomatoes are so disgusting. Like you cant find a place in the freaking americas to grow tomatoes that are not inedible and ship them over? Why not buy them from farmers that actually grow edible tomatoes? This is where tomatoes originate from FFS!

In Europe supermarket tomatoes come from Spain and Morocco are while they are not home grown heirlooms they are actually edible.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:05 pm

Moth1992 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:23 pm I dont care about the color, whats beyond me us why american supermarket tomatoes are so disgusting. Like you cant find a place in the freaking americas to grow tomatoes that are not inedible and ship them over? Why not buy them from farmers that actually grow edible tomatoes? This is where tomatoes originate from FFS!

In Europe supermarket tomatoes come from Spain and Morocco are while they are not home grown heirlooms they are actually edible.
You have to understand that markets only profit when products sell. Perishable products have much more risk of loss than nonperishable ones. The "average" American simply likes mediocre food, not bland nor strongly flavored. From Budweiser beer, iceberg lettuce, Oscar Mayer wieners, McDonald's hamburgers and fries, Macintosh apples, Tater Tots, round red tomatoes of course, and on and on, there is a comfort zone that many people grew up with, and will not let go of.

In many places in Europe, fresh, local if possible, great tasting food is a tradition of importance to their culture. Food is to be celebrated, rather than just consumed. Enough of their population (still) demands quality food, that it is (still) profitable, because it is sold in much greater quantity than here in America.

I blame McDonald's.

maxjohnson
Reactions:

Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:58 pm

Actually I think producers have gotten smarter and do they try to provide some flavor, I think at least recently typical on-the vine-tomatoes are decently edible.

One of my main inspiration for growing tomatoes was because I read the Tomatoland book and realized the amount of pesticides and herbicides used and poor treatment of the workers. But afterward I learned about the whole heirloom category and seeds saving which was a bigger interest.

slugworth
Reactions:

Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:53 am

I trade a local pizza place tomato plants and tomatoes for food.
The guy really appreciates the plants and real tasting tomatoes.
The striped peppers disappeared from stores after covid.
Those were just a fad.I was never able to grow those from the saved seeds.
"A chiseled face,Just like Easter Island" :lol:

karstopography
Reactions:

Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:39 am

Best pizza in America is in the northeast and New England. There’s not a Pizza here in town I’d trade for a single cherry tomato.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

slugworth
Reactions:

Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:38 am

a hit in old New Haven

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:16 pm

New Haven is basically the epicenter of great pizza.

But the rumors are that it is beginning to see some inconsistencies from day to day operations. Some say that the newest hires (in almost any business) just don't take any pride in their work, like in the past.

In my area, Antonio's (Amherst, MA) is on my bucket list. They have branched out to a couple of other locations, but those other places are rated poorly in comparison to the original. I just have to plan a visit when the local University is out of session. Otherwise, I hear that it can be an extremely long line, and wait, for a slice.

slugworth
Reactions:

Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:04 pm

I have never had a pizza at a chain place in my life.
Some food stores even make an attempt to sell hot pizza slices.

Return to “Tomato Talk”