Bulgarian Tri-fanova (Trifonova?)

Everything About Tomatoes
Seven Bends
Reactions:

Bulgarian Tri-fanova (Trifonova?)

Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:29 pm

Has anyone grown Bulgarian Tri-fanova/Trifonova or know anything about it? I received seeds from @Paulf under the name "Bulgarian Tri-fanova," but Trifonova is a common Bulgarian and Russian surname so that might be it. No info at Tville or Tatiana's and I can't find anything via Google, even using translation into Cyrillic characters. All I know is regular leaf red beefsteak.

The seeds are from 2012. I planted 10 on 4/21 and one is up as of today, so assuming no disasters between now and plant-out, I'll be giving it a try this year. I loved Bolgarskie Chudo last year and am hoping for another pleasant surprise.

WoodSprite
Reactions:

Re: Bulgarian Tri-fanova (Trifonova?)

Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:15 pm

Could it be Bulgarian Triumph?
~ Darlene ~
My garden is made of multiple 6' diameter x 24" tall round stock tanks, located in a small clearing on our wooded property in the center of Pennsylvania. Hardiness zone 6b (updated). Heat zone 4.

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:05 am

I'm guessing probably not Bulgarian Triumph, because that's a smallish tomato (2-4oz or even smaller) and pretty well-known. Bulgarian Tri-Fanova was described by @Paulf as a beefsteak, and rare. He said an SSE member sent him the seeds, telling him they were an obscure Bulgarian tomato he might like. According to a post on Tville in 2019, he was growing it out and intended to post info and pictures to Tatiana's Tomatobase, but I don't see it there.

MissS
Reactions:

Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:33 am

Hopefully @Paulf will chime in.
~ Patti ~

Paulf
Reactions:

Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:14 am

Being out of town right now I am away from the information, but Seven Bends is correct so far as remembered. I will get the name of the seed donator and what he stated. It is a large beefsteak of a bit above average flavor. I wanted it not to become extinct so what was grown out was shared with whoever wanted the seeds. Photos and description were sent to Tatiana but she was in the shut down mode by then and did not post them. The donor did say he had been trying to keep the variety going and I tried to help. Sorry to say Tri-Fanova has not been a big hit.

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:15 pm

Thanks, @Paulf. Would appreciate any info/pics you still have from your grow-out, if you feel like posting when you're back in town. I'm also curious about the name -- is it definitely Tri-Fanova, as opposed to Trifonova?

Assuming my seedling makes it (just one up so far), I'll give it a good spot in the garden and post here and at T-ville about how it does and how it tastes.

Return to “Tomato Talk”