Germinated Seed?

TX-TomatoBug
Reactions:

Germinated Seed?

Wed May 22, 2024 9:05 pm

As I have never fermented tomato seed before, I am practicing with store-bought tomatoes so I know what I'm doing when it comes time to ferment the ones I really want to save later on.

In this photo, it looks to me like the 4 seeds on the right are not germinated while the five on the left are. Is that right?

The seed was from one tomato squeezed into a plastic cup, a paper-towel rubber-banded to the top, kept in the garage for 2 1/2 days at about 88 degrees. A white fungal mat developed then it turned black. Is it common for a few seed to germinate during the fermentation process or did I just let it go too long?

I appreciate any feedback from all you veteran seed-savers!
Did They Germinate.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TX-TomatoBug
Reactions:

Re: Germinated Seed?

Wed May 22, 2024 9:15 pm

Don't know why the photo is not showing like I see in other posts. Please, please feel free to advise this newbie about photo attachments :)

karstopography
Reactions:

Wed May 22, 2024 9:19 pm

TX-TomatoBug wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:05 pm As I have never fermented tomato seed before, I am practicing with store-bought tomatoes so I know what I'm doing when it comes time to ferment the ones I really want to save later on.

In this photo, it looks to me like the 4 seeds on the right are not germinated while the five on the left are. Is that right?

The seed was from one tomato squeezed into a plastic cup, a paper-towel rubber-banded to the top, kept in the garage for 2 1/2 days at about 88 degrees. A white fungal mat developed then it turned black. Is it common for a few seed to germinate during the fermentation process or did I just let it go too long?

I appreciate any feedback from all you veteran seed-savers!

Did They Germinate.pdf
I have not had seeds germinate during the fermentation process. I looked at the photo. Here’s the deal with store bought tomatoes, sometimes those seeds germinate inside the store bought tomato during prolonged storage without any deliberate efforts to ferment or encourage germination. Using and comparing a long term cold storage, gassed store bought commodity type tomato in an experiment for seed fermentation to a garden grown tomato isn’t a good comparison. I think this type of exercise will only lead to confusion.

I don’t think I’d be practicing with store bought tomatoes. Skip that step and use and experiment with tomatoes and seeds from tomatoes you would actually want to subsequently plant.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Thu May 23, 2024 2:49 am

@TX-TomatoBug that's a pdf (Personal Documents File). You want an image file such as jpg or png. I converted by taking a screen shot and saving it as jpg file.

seeds.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rdback
Reactions:

Thu May 23, 2024 8:49 am

TX-TomatoBug wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:05 pm ...Is it common for a few seed to germinate during the fermentation process or did I just let it go too long?
In my experience, if I see radicles beginning to form, I've waited too long to process the ferment. The goal is to have the gel coat dissolve, not have the seed sprout.

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Thu May 23, 2024 9:01 am

TX-TomatoBug wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:05 pm The seed was from one tomato squeezed into a plastic cup, a paper-towel rubber-banded to the top, kept in the garage for 2 1/2 days at about 88 degrees. A white fungal mat developed then it turned black. Is it common for a few seed to germinate during the fermentation process or did I just let it go too long?
I've had seeds germinate when I've left them fermenting too long. I ferment mine indoors in the extra bathroom, where temps are usually around 70-73 degrees, and it generally takes three days. My guess is that the 88-degree temperature sped up your process; probably the right time to remove the seeds was within a few hours of when the white fungal mat formed, before it turned black. Sounds like you did everything right, just take them out earlier next time.

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Thu May 23, 2024 12:28 pm

Fermenting may be the preferred method of saving seed but I have never used it. I squish the seed goop through a strainer then wash with a little oxiclean and then dry.

TX-TomatoBug
Reactions:

Thu May 23, 2024 8:18 pm

@karstopography Great insight about store-bought tomatoes and good advice. I will "practice" with some of the hybrid tomatoes I'm growing this year; and no, I won't be keeping those seeds. I plan to grow only open-pollinated/heirlooms next year - that's the seed I'll be saving for real. Can't hardly wait....! :D

TX-TomatoBug
Reactions:

Thu May 23, 2024 8:23 pm

@zeuspaul An image file. Of course! duhh Thank you!

There's a bunch of Oxiclean products. What is your preference? Does your process remove the gel coat? Seems like it would take the guess work out of the equation...

TX-TomatoBug
Reactions:

Thu May 23, 2024 8:28 pm

@Seven Bends I was surprised (and grossed out) that the white mat turned black overnight. Lesson learned - thanks!

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Fri May 24, 2024 1:49 am

TX-TomatoBug wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:23 pm There's a bunch of Oxiclean products. What is your preference? Does your process remove the gel coat? Seems like it would take the guess work out of the equation...
I have OxiClean and OxoBrite. I don't have a preference. The process cleans the seeds and removes the gel coat. It may not remove all of it but it's good enough for me.

Frosti
Reactions:

Fri May 24, 2024 12:03 pm

the oxi method is a lot cleaner and quicker.

bower
Reactions:

Sun May 26, 2024 7:24 am

You might be surprised to find that those little white tips are not sprouts at all, and the seeds are viable.
I've had what looks similar and thought they were sprouted, but turns out some tomatoes have a stronger fleshy bit where the seeds were originally attached, and it remained on the seeds, looking sprouty when the soft gel had all fermented away.
You could try those sprout looking test seeds on a paper towel, whether they do germinate.
Either way, you got some good advice here about when to rinse out your ferment.
There are so many random spores in the air, and they love to settle in on the 'mat' but they are not friendlies. I ended up switching to mason jars/lids for my seed kit, because they're easy to clean up properly, and there's less incidence of random molds.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

TX-TomatoBug
Reactions:

Thu May 30, 2024 9:15 pm

bower wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:24 am You could try those sprout looking test seeds on a paper towel, whether they do germinate.
Ah nuts. I already threw them out. I'll keep your good advice in mind with the next attempt.

Return to “Seed Saving Methods, Tips & Discussion”