talking with cats dogs turtles etc.

bower
Reactions:

Re: talking with cats dogs turtles etc.

Tue May 21, 2024 7:02 am

One of my neighbor cats would tell me all about the hunting with his eye replies to my questions. He obviously understood english perfectly.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

WoodSprite
Reactions:

Tue May 21, 2024 5:46 pm

I have always talked directly to my furry companions, not only commands I taught them but just talking to them, too.

And I talk to wild animals that I see in my garden and woods while walking the trails. Just in the last week I welcomed three garter snakes to my garden and thanked them for eating critters that I don’t want there. I also told them that I would never purposely hurt them and hope they stick around.
~ Darlene ~
My garden is made of multiple 6' diameter x 24" tall round stock tanks, located in a small clearing on our wooded property in the center of Pennsylvania. Hardiness zone 6b (updated). Heat zone 4.

rxkeith
Reactions:

Tue May 21, 2024 7:35 pm

i was out on the deck this evening looking out for the coyote that has been
snatching my chickens. my dog and i saw it crossing the driveway while out on
a short walk when a chickadee flew up on to the railing about six feet away from me.
i started talking to it. i moved closer, still talking, four feet, two feet, until i was right
next to it. it just sat there. i put my finger out to see if it would hop on it. nope it just sat there
like it was in a trance. i gently picked it up. that got it going. it flew up onto an upright post for a
couple seconds before flying off. now that was cool. i like those little chickadees. they are here year
round in all kinds of weather.

keith

peebee
Reactions:

Wed May 22, 2024 10:01 pm

Yes I've always talked to my pets & just as they have learned to pick up word cues for certain things like walk, treat, toy etc, I have picked up their ways of communicating too. My last dog Jazzy especially was good at this. She'd tell me by a look, bark or movement exactly what she wanted to say. When I have longer conversations with her she'd just look at me and listen. I think most of us here experience these kinds of things if you're in tune with your animals. My husband has loved all our pets but he'd never have a clue what their bark or meow is trying to convey.
With stray cats I just meow at them and they usually come up to me. If I talk human talk they don't always do.
Zone 10, Southern California
Will eat anything once before I judge.
Anything meaning any foods of course.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Thu May 23, 2024 12:57 am

My dad had my first springer keyed to two phrases. "Frisbee?" and "Gun Club!". WOOOFF WOOOF WOOOF WOOOF loud, loud barker when he got going. Clear, crisp, loud, ring your ears, ring the doorbell. What a wonderful dog that was. Dad would take him every nice day for...years. Throw for him and let him run the big field up at the club. In the back seat he would build up excitement when we crested the hill and then as soon as you turn onto the mile of gravel road before the club, he couldn't hold it in. He was absolute top shelf too when it came to birds, I would have put him against any dog in the state. There is a long story, but basically he was POL for a big field trial guy, but the vet docked the tails wrong....got sued over it and had to pay out for ruining the litter. So the field trial guy sold my dog as a hunting dog (still pricey) and got pick of the next litter (from the dam or sire, or both, not sure) and won nationals and whatever else with that dog. That dog is in a lot of bloodlines now. So my dog was the "would have been" field trial champ but instead was an amazing family dog and hunting dog.

You say frisbee, his whole body would shimmy in expectation, whine and bark at the same time. My other springers are similar, but, this first dog was a powerful dog, full of energy. He would beg to come onto the bed, and lay there nice and snuggle, but then he would get hot pretty soon and get down by himself after 10 or 20 minutes. Whereas my current female, she sneaks up and lays as flat as she can, turns deaf and clings to the bed when I try to push her off. :lol:

Return to “Livestock & Pets”