So Texans, Where do you Stand on Tomatoes?

Everything About Tomatoes
TomatoNut95
Reactions:
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:14 pm
Location: East Texas 8b

Re: So Texans, Where do you Stand on Tomatoes?

#661

Post: # 125561Unread post TomatoNut95
Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:28 pm

Mad at my phone's connection today, it just cuts out when it pleases! AT&T has messed with their local tower I think. :x. I need a new phone because my LG Journey will get cut off next year anyway because people are stupid and think your device is considered a dinosaur the next year but I HATE new phone shopping, mines only 3 or 4 years old!
Enough of my rant. :D

I need advice. I want to enter my Westerlund in the contest while it weighs the heaviest but the seeds in it won't be viable if it doesn't ripen on the vine and I'd like to keep the Westerlund strain @Tormato sent me. Idk what to do.
20240608_104234~2.jpg
@karstopography Sorry, you must have been replying to my topic but I realized I put it in the wrong thread and deleted it there and redid it here. :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anne

User avatar
karstopography
Reactions:
Posts: 7644
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:15 am
Location: Southeast Texas

Re: So Texans, Where do you Stand on Tomatoes?

#662

Post: # 125563Unread post karstopography
Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:37 pm

@TomatoNut95 no worries, I was just going to put that I’d let that tomato get to color break before picking, then it should ripen normally at an appropriate air temperature, such as normal room temperature, after achieving the color break.

In my experience, those big tomatoes after harvesting lose only a few grams of weight between a harvest at color break to fully ripe. You can weigh it at color break and then weigh when ripe.

I never sacrifice a tomato just for the seeds. I save the seeds and gel I want from the tomato and eat the rest.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

TomatoNut95
Reactions:
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:14 pm
Location: East Texas 8b

Re: So Texans, Where do you Stand on Tomatoes?

#663

Post: # 125565Unread post TomatoNut95
Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:17 pm

karstopography wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:37 pm @TomatoNut95 no worries, I was just going to put that I’d let that tomato get to color break before picking, then it should ripen normally at an appropriate air temperature, such as normal room temperature, after achieving the color break.

In my experience, those big tomatoes after harvesting lose only a few grams of weight between a harvest at color break to fully ripe. You can weigh it at color break and then weigh when ripe.

I never sacrifice a tomato just for the seeds. I save the seeds and gel I want from the tomato and eat the rest.
When exactly could seeds be called mature/viable? Right at color break or when the whole fruit is at least 60-70% ripe?
I save seed from tomatoes a lot but I always eat what's left after picking seed out so there's never 100% sacrifice when I save seed.
Anne

User avatar
Tormato
Reactions:
Posts: 4068
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:14 pm

Re: So Texans, Where do you Stand on Tomatoes?

#664

Post: # 125567Unread post Tormato
Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:28 pm

TomatoNut95 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:17 pm
karstopography wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:37 pm @TomatoNut95 no worries, I was just going to put that I’d let that tomato get to color break before picking, then it should ripen normally at an appropriate air temperature, such as normal room temperature, after achieving the color break.

In my experience, those big tomatoes after harvesting lose only a few grams of weight between a harvest at color break to fully ripe. You can weigh it at color break and then weigh when ripe.

I never sacrifice a tomato just for the seeds. I save the seeds and gel I want from the tomato and eat the rest.
When exactly could seeds be called mature/viable? Right at color break or when the whole fruit is at least 60-70% ripe?
I save seed from tomatoes a lot but I always eat what's left after picking seed out so there's never 100% sacrifice when I save seed.
Seeds should be viable right at color break.

Unless you have this ridiculous variety, Cole, where every other tomato, when fully or even overripe, seems to produce extremely thin seeds that don't germinate.

I eat the bottom half, fully ripe, of a tomato, and save seeds and make sauce of the, almost fully ripe, top half. With a good harvest, there's no way that I can eat, all of, every tomato that I pick.

User avatar
karstopography
Reactions:
Posts: 7644
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:15 am
Location: Southeast Texas

Re: So Texans, Where do you Stand on Tomatoes?

#665

Post: # 125568Unread post karstopography
Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:35 pm

TomatoNut95 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:17 pm
karstopography wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:37 pm @TomatoNut95 no worries, I was just going to put that I’d let that tomato get to color break before picking, then it should ripen normally at an appropriate air temperature, such as normal room temperature, after achieving the color break.

In my experience, those big tomatoes after harvesting lose only a few grams of weight between a harvest at color break to fully ripe. You can weigh it at color break and then weigh when ripe.

I never sacrifice a tomato just for the seeds. I save the seeds and gel I want from the tomato and eat the rest.
When exactly could seeds be called mature/viable? Right at color break or when the whole fruit is at least 60-70% ripe?
I save seed from tomatoes a lot but I always eat what's left after picking seed out so there's never 100% sacrifice when I save seed.
I really don’t know. The only seeds I save from tomatoes are from tomatoes that are fully ripe and ones I am in the process of preparing to eat. In other words, I might pick a tomato at or a little after color break, most of the big slicer/beefsteak types I pick at that stage or a day or two later, but I don’t save the seed from them until those tomatoes picked have reached full ripening. So whether they fully ripened on the vine or where picked at the color break and allowed to fully ripen inside, the seeds might be saved in either case, but only at the time of full ripening.

I know seeds I saved from tomatoes like Hoy picked just after color break and allowed to ripen fully unmolested inside at room temperature are completely viable and germinate under normal conditions for tomato germination.

As I understand tomatoes, the tomatoes themselves as far as seed viability and flavor development go, are set up for success when picked at color break. The process of ripening doesn’t really change whether it’s on the vine or off, all else like an appropriate air temperature being equal, but the tomato still needs to be fully ripe to ensure the seeds are fully mature.

Would seeds harvested from a tomato at color break be as equally viable as from the same tomato plant, but a different tomato allowed to fully ripen, I don’t know. I would have to think there would be some reduction in viability, but that’s just a guess.

I don’t know of a good reason to harvest the seeds from a tomato approaching color break or just at it that stage or just beyond that point. Waste of a good tomato and there’s the risk the seeds themselves aren’t quite mature and ready to be processed and stored.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

User avatar
Tormato
Reactions:
Posts: 4068
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:14 pm

Re: So Texans, Where do you Stand on Tomatoes?

#666

Post: # 125584Unread post Tormato
Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:27 pm

My guess is that seeds develop from nutrients supplied by the plant. Once the tomato is picked, the connection between the plant and the seeds is broken, and the seeds cannot develop any further.

User avatar
Tormato
Reactions:
Posts: 4068
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:14 pm

Re: So Texans, Where do you Stand on Tomatoes?

#667

Post: # 125586Unread post Tormato
Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:31 pm

TomatoNut95 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:28 pm Mad at my phone's connection today, it just cuts out when it pleases! AT&T has messed with their local tower I think. :x. I need a new phone because my LG Journey will get cut off next year anyway because people are stupid and think your device is considered a dinosaur the next year but I HATE new phone shopping, mines only 3 or 4 years old!
Enough of my rant. :D

I need advice. I want to enter my Westerlund in the contest while it weighs the heaviest but the seeds in it won't be viable if it doesn't ripen on the vine and I'd like to keep the Westerlund strain @Tormato sent me. Idk what to do.

20240608_104234~2.jpg

@karstopography Sorry, you must have been replying to my topic but I realized I put it in the wrong thread and deleted it there and redid it here. :shock:
I forgot to ask...Did you take off all of the other flowers, or remove all other tomatoes?

TomatoNut95
Reactions:
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:14 pm
Location: East Texas 8b

Re: So Texans, Where do you Stand on Tomatoes?

#668

Post: # 125590Unread post TomatoNut95
Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:50 pm

Tormato wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:31 pm I forgot to ask...Did you take off all of the other flowers, or remove all other tomatoes?
On the truss that big fruit was born, yes, I removed all other blossoms. I have also done a dab of pruning to the plant which I guess helped gear a little energy into that one fruit. I recently was able to feed the plant after the soil has had long enough to dry out so I'm hoping the fruit will grow a little more.

How can you tell if a fruit is through growing before turning color? Can you encourage any fruit to get bigger at anytime before it turns?
Anne

User avatar
Tormato
Reactions:
Posts: 4068
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:14 pm

Re: So Texans, Where do you Stand on Tomatoes?

#669

Post: # 125593Unread post Tormato
Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:12 pm

TomatoNut95 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:50 pm
Tormato wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:31 pm I forgot to ask...Did you take off all of the other flowers, or remove all other tomatoes?
On the truss that big fruit was born, yes, I removed all other blossoms. I have also done a dab of pruning to the plant which I guess helped gear a little energy into that one fruit. I recently was able to feed the plant after the soil has had long enough to dry out so I'm hoping the fruit will grow a little more.

How can you tell if a fruit is through growing before turning color? Can you encourage any fruit to get bigger at anytime before it turns?
My growing techniques are completely the opposite of going for maximum fruit size. I do starts in narrow containers. I plant straight down attempting to get the smallest spreading root ball, I minimize watering, all aimed at a concentration of flavors in a tomato that grows to about 3/4 of the size it would normally get.

For you, removing all other tomatoes on the plant would be the most important thing to do. You've had enough rain, but if it's dry for about 3 to
4 days, perhaps dig a whole several feet away from your plant to see how deep the soil is, having plenty of moisture. You've done the fert, but is it quick release? I wonder if shade cloth would help on really hot sunny days?

User avatar
GVGardens
Reactions:
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:34 am
Location: Central Texas

Re: So Texans, Where do you Stand on Tomatoes?

#670

Post: # 125600Unread post GVGardens
Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:12 pm

@Wildcat82 I'll let you know. How was Prescott this spring?
Clay soil in the Texas Hill Country, Zone 9b-ish
Yearly precipitation: 35 inches

TomatoNut95
Reactions:
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:14 pm
Location: East Texas 8b

Re: So Texans, Where do you Stand on Tomatoes?

#671

Post: # 125625Unread post TomatoNut95
Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:49 am

Tormato wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:12 pm You've done the fert, but is it quick release? I wonder if shade cloth would help on really hot sunny days?
It's quick release. Miracle Gro plant food 'vegatables and herbs' with NKP 18-18-21.
Today I pruned off all othe fruits on the plant, they were runts anyway. The big fruit is being shaded well by the plants leaves. Using some material strips I gave it support.
Anne

User avatar
Tormato
Reactions:
Posts: 4068
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:14 pm

Re: So Texans, Where do you Stand on Tomatoes?

#672

Post: # 125645Unread post Tormato
Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:23 pm

TomatoNut95 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:49 am
Tormato wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:12 pm You've done the fert, but is it quick release? I wonder if shade cloth would help on really hot sunny days?
It's quick release. Miracle Gro plant food 'vegatables and herbs' with NKP 18-18-21.
Today I pruned off all othe fruits on the plant, they were runts anyway. The big fruit is being shaded well by the plants leaves. Using some material strips I gave it support.
My question is whether the plants leaves need some filtered shading in the extreme heat. I have no idea if it would help or hurt.

If you want the largest tomato, as soon as a multi-blossom fruit is set and growing, immediately remove all other tomatoes.

TomatoNut95
Reactions:
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:14 pm
Location: East Texas 8b

Re: So Texans, Where do you Stand on Tomatoes?

#673

Post: # 125656Unread post TomatoNut95
Thu Jun 13, 2024 5:11 pm

Tormato wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:23 pm My question is whether the plants leaves need some filtered shading in the extreme heat. I have no idea if it would help or hurt.

If you want the largest tomato, as soon as a multi-blossom fruit is set and growing, immediately remove all other tomatoes.
When I got home and went out to water I noticed how really hot it was and saw how much direct sun the Westerlund fruit was getting so I dug out an old tablecloth and shaded the fruit quite well. I'll remove the cloth during the morning and put it back during the hottest part of the day.
20240613_111413.jpg
Picked this 12+ oz Kelloggs Breakfast this morning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anne

User avatar
MissS
Reactions:
Posts: 5892
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:55 am
Location: SE Wisconsin Zone 5b

Re: So Texans, Where do you Stand on Tomatoes?

#674

Post: # 125664Unread post MissS
Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:02 pm

Tormato wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:23 pm
TomatoNut95 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:49 am
Tormato wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:12 pm You've done the fert, but is it quick release? I wonder if shade cloth would help on really hot sunny days?
It's quick release. Miracle Gro plant food 'vegatables and herbs' with NKP 18-18-21.
Today I pruned off all othe fruits on the plant, they were runts anyway. The big fruit is being shaded well by the plants leaves. Using some material strips I gave it support.
My question is whether the plants leaves need some filtered shading in the extreme heat. I have no idea if it would help or hurt.

If you want the largest tomato, as soon as a multi-blossom fruit is set and growing, immediately remove all other tomatoes.
I do know that some of the major completive growers do use shade cloth to shade their plants in extreme heat. Some just shade their fruits if it's not too hot.
~ Patti ~

TomatoNut95
Reactions:
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:14 pm
Location: East Texas 8b

Re: So Texans, Where do you Stand on Tomatoes?

#675

Post: # 125676Unread post TomatoNut95
Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:13 pm

[quote=MissS post_id=125664 time=17183197
I do know that some of the major completive growers do use shade cloth to shade their plants in extreme heat. Some just shade their fruits if it's not too hot.
[/quote]


I will start shading my Westerlund. :)
20240613_183220~2.jpg
20240613_183212~2.jpg
20240613_183242~2.jpg
20240613_183500~2.jpg
20240613_183431~2.jpg
Here's some of the seedlings I have to replace my spring plants.
20240613_183709~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anne

User avatar
Wildcat82
Reactions:
Posts: 452
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:34 am
Location: San Antonio Texas

Re: So Texans, Where do you Stand on Tomatoes?

#676

Post: # 125678Unread post Wildcat82
Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:03 pm

GVGardens wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:12 pm @Wildcat82 I'll let you know. How was Prescott this spring?
Both Prescott and Miel de Mexique were very slow to set this spring but over the past 3 weeks they have been putting out quite of bit of fruit. Nice balanced flavor for both. I like that they have maintained a uniform 1 ounce size unlike SunGold/Black Cherry whose fruit seems to get miniaturized by the heat.

User avatar
AKgardener
Reactions:
Posts: 1224
Joined: Fri May 22, 2020 1:28 pm
Location: Alaska

Re: So Texans, Where do you Stand on Tomatoes?

#677

Post: # 125685Unread post AKgardener
Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:44 pm

My beautiful big sis was on tv for Hawkins Texas on maters .. guess you guys are getting all kinds of weather

TomatoNut95
Reactions:
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:14 pm
Location: East Texas 8b

Re: So Texans, Where do you Stand on Tomatoes?

#678

Post: # 125772Unread post TomatoNut95
Fri Jun 14, 2024 5:07 pm

Had 2 Kelloggs Breakfast. Meaty one with few seed weighed in at 12 + oz.
20240614_153633_HDR~2.jpg
20240614_154407~2.jpg
Second one only 9.3 oz.
20240614_155249~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anne

User avatar
karstopography
Reactions:
Posts: 7644
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:15 am
Location: Southeast Texas

Re: So Texans, Where do you Stand on Tomatoes?

#679

Post: # 125784Unread post karstopography
Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:53 pm

Kellogg’s Breakfast is such a pretty tomato. They are meaty with few seeds. I didn’t grow Kellogg’s Breakfast this year. So many great tomatoes…
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

TomatoNut95
Reactions:
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:14 pm
Location: East Texas 8b

Re: So Texans, Where do you Stand on Tomatoes?

#680

Post: # 125786Unread post TomatoNut95
Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:34 pm

karstopography wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:53 pm Kellogg’s Breakfast is such a pretty tomato. They are meaty with few seeds. I didn’t grow Kellogg’s Breakfast this year. So many great tomatoes…
Such a delicious one to! Burst with flavor!
Anne

Post Reply

Return to “Tomato Talk”