Growing peas and beans in a rain gutter to transplant

Welcome to the wonderful world of Legumes!
pondgardener
Reactions:
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Growing peas and beans in a rain gutter to transplant

Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:30 pm

I watched the first part of the video and thought this could be an ideal way to start peas and beans early to get a fast start. I may not sow as many rows as the video suggests, but having sections that could be easily moved to protect against cold weather before planting seems like an interesting idea. Anyone tried this yet?
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of life you have lived.

bower
Reactions:

Re: Growing peas and beans in a rain gutter to transplant

Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:53 pm

Looks like a good idea! I haven't had a problem with peas sprouting under row cover outdoors, but starting them in the greenhouse would be a head start for sure.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

pondgardener
Reactions:

Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:46 pm

I went to the lumber yard and picked up a piece of vinyl rain gutter, cut it into three manageable pieces, cut some end pieces from some fiberglass I had and will try this out tomorrow. The house sparrows usually tear up the early plants, so this may work out.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of life you have lived.

MrBig46
Reactions:

Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:45 am

I really like it, I just have a problem that I don't understand the spoken word. But in this video, the words are useless. It is an inspiration for me.
Vladimír

pondgardener
Reactions:

Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:50 pm

[mention]MrBig46[/mention], attached is a link to a website that I looked at as well and may be helpful without having to try to translate. I cut a 10 foot length of rain gutter into 3 pieces about 40 inches long and it is the right size for me to transfer between indoors and outdoors. And it fits easily under the shoplights I have mounted in the boiler room. Good luck...
https://www.growveg.com/guides/an-easy- ... guttering/

IMG_3935.jpeg
IMG_3937.jpeg
IMG_3938.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:44 am

That was very good. She has a ton of other you tube videos and a blog called Susan’s In the Garden.

She is teaching a class on raised bed gardening in Spokane Wash. March 7
https://www.susansinthegarden.com/event ... extension/

Pond gardener , you did a great job on your gutter planters.
"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker

pondgardener
Reactions:

Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:37 am

Three weeks later and the first gutter is ready to transplant. Temperatures have been up and down lately, but it looks like we are getting a favorable weather forecast for the next few days. I have been taking the gutter planters out for sun every day when temps get above 45˚and bring them in to the garage area at night. Germination has been decent for the most part, so if they do well outside, this has been a worthwhile project. After the peas are all planted, I am going to try the same thing for some bush beans.
peas.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:19 am

I saw this idea last year, either here, or youtube. I did try it with good results for daikon radish last September. I put them in for deer browse along a good trail. Just seeding them there in the woods in September would not have worked, but this did, and the deer browsed the greens multiple times.

I used both rain gutter and mesh 1020 trays with one end cut to fold down so the whole sheet could slide out. It may be a good use for some trays that would normally get tossed each spring.

I was planning to do peas this spring but I didn't have the pea seed in time. I really like the idea for getting peas out early, and different varieties. I didn't get seed this year until the end of March, and they haven't even sprouted much yet.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:25 am

Wow, I like this and can see a lot of other stuff to use the method on. There's a length of gutter around here somewhere from a long time ago when I tried growing lettuce in it. The lettuce grew but got really really rootbound in it. But I'm thinking I can try it again and plant them out into the garden once they get a good head start. Hmmm, I think I remember having drilled drainage holes in the bottom. Thanks for posting this!

Off to the "bone yard" out back to see if I still have that gutter.....

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:02 pm

Gutterponics is a an entire hydroponic style all its own. You can grow plants to completion in gutters quite easily.

Texgal
Reactions:

Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:43 pm

Susan just posted an updated video this week. Looks like a great idea!

~ Emmie ~

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:03 pm

Well, I found my 10' gutter piece. BUT....I had drilled drainage holes in the bottom. :o and that won't work for using it under my grow lights unless I put down plastic bags underneath or whatever. Time to just spend about $7 for a new gutter piece and cut it into 40" lengths. It's too late to start peas now but I think I'll try this method with a strip of snow peas in the fall across the end of one of my raised beds and maybe some lettuce too. Those things would grow fine direct seeded in the garden at that time of year but it would just be a "proof of concept" trial run for next spring.

Return to “Beans, Peas, Peanuts and other Legumes”