How is the COVID-19 pandemic affecting you?

Off Topic Area
worth1
Reactions: 1417

Re: How is the COVID-19 pandemic affecting you?

Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:21 pm

I would also like to say the event hasn't effected me monetarily at all except for my retirement which will come back no worries there.
Just mentally.
Many aren't as lucky as I am.
The waiting lines at the unemployment office are astounding on line or what ever way you want to go about it.
There are so many rules and requirements that is is enough to drive a person mad.
My heart goes out to these hard working people with no jobs and have never in their lives had to do such a thing.
Do I think it is wrong to do what our country is doing?
No I dont.
It is just dept that would be there one way or another.
No one that is against this blinked an eye when we went deep in dept to fight a war in the middle east that is un-winnable, pardon the spelling but it is the best I can come up with.
Now is the time for us as a people to work together and think of ourselves and our loved ones.
Think of our neighbors and the rest of the people in our countries that make this world what it is.

The (((essential workers))) seem to be the blue collar workers such as myself and much of the retail workers doctors nurses and so on in service.
Nothing against the non essential workers at all but what it is is what it is.
You get to stay home while the rest of us go out and get infected or not.
Just cant figure out who they are.
Seems like all of us working stiffs are essential workers.
That includes doctors nurses and many others with higher educations than mine.
These are the ones that make our countries great not code writers sitting at home drawing a paycheck or movie stars wringing their hands wondering what to do next.
Where the hell are they now anyway?
Ain't heard a peep out of them.
But I dont have TV connection so what would I know.
Or has the news media neglected them due to more important and exciting things.
You tell me I have no idea.
Yes I get frustrated about the job sites and no way to wash hands but I am of the ideology I take care of myself and the people around me.

I have more to say but I will leave it at this for now.
Worth
Paul Prudhomme Is The Head Chef In Heaven

Growing Coastal
Reactions: 410

Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:28 pm

My DIL fears losing her business over this. Hair salons/barbers are shut down. Ongoing expenses need to be paid, open or not. If this is only the 1st wave of covid a gov't loan will not be enough and only put small businesses like her's further into debt.

AlittleSalt
Reactions: 80

Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:36 am

Worth, the customers are not treating my wife any differently than normal in-a-way. Yes customers still want their money back from stuff they bought back in 2017. They still lie, steal, and cheat in every way possible way. I guess it has always been that way? It has been that way in my almost 55 years.

But here lately, people are acting more like their head is a hat rack. They get up in employees faces and complain like the employees are the ones setting limits on items. People are bringing their whole family in to shop for Bikinis and Easter clothing. Can't they get a clue that this Pandemic is serious?
Texas Zone 8A

AlittleSalt

Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:11 am

Have you ever been afraid to eat because if you do - it won't be there anymore? I'm there now, and I own my house and land. How is the COVID-19 pandemic affecting you?
Texas Zone 8A

worth1

Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:39 am

A 58 year old layed off chef from a down town hotel in Austin has been out of work since the 21st.
He has no family and no one to turn to.
He has no computer access and can't get connected to the Texas employment commission.
By way of phone.
It stays busy all the time.
Worth

worth1

Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:44 pm

AlittleSalt wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:11 am
Have you ever been afraid to eat because if you do - it won't be there anymore? I'm there now, and I own my house and land. How is the COVID-19 pandemic affecting you?
Salt I could write a recipe book on how to cook cream of wheat 1000 ways.
Just today after getting home from work I had a plate of fried potatoes I didn't eat last night because I lost my appetite.
They had ketchup all over them and no real way to make that taste good after 24 hours on the stove top.
I took a colander and rinsed all the ketchup off in hot water.
I will just re-fry them for supper tonight.
I do this because I feel it is just wrong for me to toss food hungry folks could use.
I do toss food that is bad or may poison me.
The other reason is I have been there in the food bank lines getting food.
My life has been ebb and flow for many years and I have learned to adjust to what ever comes my way.
I do not hold poor folks in contempt no matter the reason they are poor or in a bad way.
That is just wrong.
Many of the people today in theses times have never been without in their lives I feel for them and yet in a way glad because it will hopefully make them humble and not so judgmental.
We will get through this my friend I know we will we have to.
Worth

AlittleSalt

Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:40 pm

It would help me to be able to see the grocery stores now that there is food on the shelves. The last time I went grocery shopping was last month. There were entire isles with nothing at all on the shelves. People were rude and three of them ran into me trying to get to whatever food they were after.

I have a doctor's appointment next week - if they don't put the appointment off again. I want to go into a grocery store to see that there is food.
Texas Zone 8A

Cole_Robbie
Reactions: 219

Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:13 pm

AlittleSalt wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:40 pm
It would help me to be able to see the grocery stores now that there is food on the shelves. The last time I went grocery shopping was last month. There were entire isles with nothing at all on the shelves. People were rude and three of them ran into me trying to get to whatever food they were after.

I have a doctor's appointment next week - if they don't put the appointment off again. I want to go into a grocery store to see that there is food.
I went shopping about the time that panic buying had hit in my area. I googled what foods are supposed to be antiviral and made a list. After I got to the store, I realized my list could have been entitled, "foods no one buys even when panic shopping for a viral pandemic." All of the bins were full. Stuff like garlic and green tea practically had dust on them. There was a big bin of various potatoes on one wall and not a single potato...except for the sweet potatoes. That bin was mounded up like they couldn't fit any more in it.

So even if some things aren't there, I bet the healthy food will be.

Nan6b
Reactions: 641

Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:39 pm

We don't go into stores. It's been awhile since we could get a time slot for a pickup or delivery from the local big grocery store. We're pretty well fixed now, so we just have someone bring us a few things if they're going to the store themselves.

Every day Amazon or Etsy drops off a package or two at our house; any non-perishables are coming from the internet.

Have been watching Maundy Thursday and Good Friday services on the computer. Easter Sunday DH & I will go to my mother's place- just the 3 of us will celebrate together. We'll watch a church service or two. We planned our Easter dinner around what we had on hand: I found a slab of ham in the freezer; mother & I each have some frozen green or broad beans for Green Bean Casserole; we have frozen peaches for Peach Crisp & she has Yam Patties in the freezer.

I grew out some F4 tomatoes inside during the winter. The soil from them will be refreshed with time-release fertilizer and a bit of new soil; I don't have enough new soil on hand.

Making do with what I can find around the house; antenna wire works well to form-fit the nosepieces on the masks I make.

Nan

MissS
Reactions: 1050

Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:54 pm

The last time I was in a grocery store was a few weeks ago and the shelves were empty. I was in an aisle and another woman came by and we just looked from the shelves to each other and said "Well it looks like we get to try something new now." All that was on the shelves were things we would never think of to eat.
Grow Something!
~ Patti ~

worth1

Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:41 am

I haven't been to the big HEB store in I dont know how long.
Since the last time I posted here about the lady hauling out the giant stack of toilet paper.
I could have gotten more coffee but didn't because I'm one of those people that thinks of other people more than myself sometimes.
That's why I hate panic hoarders so much.
Worth

Growing Coastal
Reactions: 410

Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:01 am

Every time I go for groceries now it seems different items are not on shelves. Someone I spoke to said the trucks are barely able to keep up. Surely soon everyone will be stocked up on everything they need or can store? At least we are all now, without doubt, earthquake prepared.
Imagine! I saw toilet paper on sale at the drug store the other day. I bought one pak because it was there.

Bower
Reactions: 776

Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:03 am

@Cole_Robbie too funny, I found the same thing. Nobody is hoarding the stuff I want to buy - except for regular stuff like carrots and potatoes.
I had to go shop again on Tuesday - that is mainly because my mother is still not used to the rhythm of stocking up. I've been adding to my grocery reserves since January, a few things at a time. I could stay home for a month and need nothing, or at least get by. Anyway I did go and we both needed fresh stuff like milk and eggs and produce, and it was a relief to see that vegetables/fruits were mostly available and not 'pandemic priced' either! Only a few aisles had glaring empty gaps.
The hardest thing for me has been the hit on our postal service. Materials I ordered, and seeds I ordered, have been in limbo for a month. Finally got a couple of packages on Thursday, including seeds of Mokum carrots. I read that those will make a baby carrot you can eat in 35 days! Now that is the seed you want in your emergency stash.
I'm thinking to pre-sprout them and plant in containers for quickie carrots. Never tried that, but it's sposed to speed up germination. Obviously 35 days is from sprouting, I don't want to add 3 weeks of misting and prayers onto the effort...
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

pondgardner
Reactions: 447
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:23 am

We have enough supplies to last for quite awhile but I needed to go to the store to get whole milk and extra eggs to make a traditional Easter dish called "Easter Cheese" or "Cirak". Face masks were worn by the majority of shoppers but there were still quite a few who didn't. I passed one older guy who stopped right next to a display of canned goods to remove his mask and blow his nose, followed by a fit of coughing, standing a foot or so away from the shelves. That seems to be the big problem these days, people don't take the time to think how their actions can affect other people with dire consequences.
George
Zone 6b
Elevation : 4600 ft or about 1400 meters
Climate : semi-desert
Avg annual rainfall = 12.26" or about 311mm

brownrexx
Reactions: 574

Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:01 pm

I have plenty of supplies for nutritious meals but I miss being able to just stop by a store and pick up bananas and grapes.

worth1

Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:21 pm

One thing that concerns me is will people come out of this being too clean.'
That will cause a reduction and or weakening of our immune system.
A germaphobe would come in my house and run out screaming in panic. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Worth

worth1

Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:37 pm

brownrexx wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:01 pm
I have plenty of supplies for nutritious meals but I miss being able to just stop by a store and pick up bananas and grapes.
Ya gotta put yourself back in time a hundred years or more.
Eat what is in season.
I feel the same way but at least I can go to the Mexican market and get this stuff if I want it.
My concern is the little ones and want to make sure they get what they need not me.
It breaks my heart to see the little ones do without, they don't deserve this crap and they didn't ask for it, none of us did but them for sure.
I was raised eating carp fresh water drum and gar and or what ever we could kill or catch no money to speak of.
These folks didn't so I must think of them and what they can deal with not myself.
One of my co workers just had a new born baby.
Worth

brownrexx
Reactions: 574

Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:02 pm

@worth1 I live in PA and there is nothing in season in April. We will not have any local fruits until June when strawberries will be in season.

My first in season veggie will be asparagus and it is just starting to emerge from the ground.

Clkeiper
Reactions: 159

Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:38 pm

@brownrexx get a foraging guide or just look online.. but there are things growing already... you just need to know what they are. https://www.growforagecookferment.com/w ... in-spring/

pondgardner
Reactions: 447
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:27 pm

worth1 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:21 pm
One thing that concerns me is will people come out of this being too clean.'
That will cause a reduction and or weakening of our immune system.
A germaphobe would come in my house and run out screaming in panic. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Worth, while I think in the short term people may be more cognizant of being exposed to germs and how they are transferred to a new host, it won't be very long that most will be carrying on in their daily life like it was six months ago. Hopefully there won't be an uptick of COVID-19 cases then. And the related anxiety that goes along with the present pandemic could very well lead to a host of new problems. I hope not...
George
Zone 6b
Elevation : 4600 ft or about 1400 meters
Climate : semi-desert
Avg annual rainfall = 12.26" or about 311mm

Return to “Area 51”