Tomatoes to Avoid and Why

Everything About Tomatoes
karstopography
Reactions:

Tomatoes to Avoid and Why

Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:34 am

Presented with literally hundreds of varieties as potential additions to future gardens and not knowing my way around 99% of them, I was wondering if any of you have tried growing a particular well known or otherwise celebrated type, but found you absolutely disliked the tomato for one reason or another. It could be for reasons like an off flavor, or disagreeable texture, or propensity for problems, etc.

What say you, are there tomatoes on your do not grow list and why?
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Labradors
Reactions:

Re: Tomatoes to Avoid and Why

Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:45 am

Brandywine. I LOVE the taste, but it rots before ripening here and is too late anyway.

Nasty acidic tomatoes for me: Juliette F1; Carrot like; Jaune Flammee (although I hear there are different versions); Blondekopfchen; Pixie.

Purple Bumblebee had crunchy texture :(.

Linda
Last edited by Labradors on Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

edweather
Reactions:

Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:01 am

I like most tomatoes I've tried, and the only negative that sticks out for me is the shelf life of Indian Stripe PL. Better eat them a few days after ripe, they go south fast. I still grow them though, because they produce like crazy in the heat, and my wife makes sauce with them.
Southeast GA, USDA 9a, HZ9, Sunset Z28

brownrexx
Reactions:

Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:11 am

I think that your location and weather conditions make a huge difference in what will grow well and taste good in your garden.

I love Brandywine but I live in the area where it was developed. I had a friend in CA who hated it. Totally different climate and I think that makes a huge difference.

I never grew a tomato that we hated although some grew and produced better than others. I really think that it's trial and error which is why I try at least one new one each year. This year I am trying Rebel Yell but I wonder how I will like it since all of the good reports that I have heard come from the South and I am in PA.

2 years ago I grew Cherokee Purple after hearing rave reviews and it was so-so but I tried it again last year and it was fabulous. Same seeds, same garden soil but different weather I guess made the difference

[mention]karstopography[/mention] you list your location as the Columbia bottomlands. Is that Columbia, the country? I live near a town named Columbia and I am sure there are others.

arnorrian
Reactions:

Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:32 am

I didn't like Tigarella. Too mushy.
Climate: Cfa
USDA hardiness zone: 7a
Elevation: 140 m

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:45 am

The one that I've tried a number of times, that many seem to love, but I gave up on, was the black cherry. I tried it from various sources, and had slight differences, one having great heat resistance, producing through several heat waves that year. Yet all had the same flaw, which I've found with a lot of tomatoes (and would only grow them once!): it rots very quickly! If I picked some just starting to ripen, and left them to ripen, most would have soft rotting spots on them, by the time they ripened in a couple of days. And many, if left to ripen on the vine, would get these spots before I picked them - it was like a catch 22! I really liked the flavor, but I finally gave up on them. I've had this same thing happen with other, larger black tomatoes, and Isis Candy, as well. And Isis candy was another that was delicious, when I got a good one, but some would rot before they even looked ripe, and others, that looked totally ripe, would be spitters, because they were under-ripe! Tried that variety years apart, when I got some free seeds the second time, and said "never again!".
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

bower
Reactions:

Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:11 am

There's one called Violet Jasper - pretty looking but a real loser for texture with skin tough as nails. We ended up stuffing and roasting them. Even this could be due to growing conditions as much as genetics.... I have rejected others with prejudice that made bland or mealy fruit. Can't stand a bad texture, but how much is due to the trauma of growing north here?

I agree with brownrexx that it depends entirely on your location and growing conditions. Even some that don't do well in my greenhouse do better in a friend's greenhouse with very different conditions a few miles away. But I wouldn't even venture to compare my 'losers' with what would do well for you in Texas.
The number of "promising" tomatoes loved by others I have rejected is many, many many. Some are just too late and too heat loving to do more than whine about our summers. Others really prone to disease, therefore high maintenance in a tight space.... cannot handle it. Not worth the effort. And how sad is it, when you have a lousy summer and then crown it with a disappointing tomato that you pampered for months?
So we only keep those that are meant for us. ;)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

karstopography
Reactions:

Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:45 am

[mention]brownrexx[/mention]
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... _final.pdf
Not Columbia the country, but a specific biome here in SE Texas.

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:51 am

Celebrity is very popular, but I think it has changed over the years. The celebrity I grew made red baseballs, worse than grocery store tomatoes.

Blackbear
Reactions:

Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:17 pm

Cole_Robbie wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:51 am Celebrity is very popular, but I think it has changed over the years. The celebrity I grew made red baseballs, worse than grocery store tomatoes.
geese I am glad to see someone else has found that with celebrity … (I am not glad that Celebrity has changed)
I had a great luck in the prairies with it many years ago and like the high disease resistance rating etc.
but I avoid it as it is not ..like it was …..for me from the same era of hybrids and disease resistance
there can be only one ...Big beef .
But as my focus is OP it is not the biggest concern ..just a note. :geek:
So many Tomatoes...……..so little Time !

Blackbear
Reactions:

Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:21 pm

I am avoiding any finger shaped or sausage shaped tomatoes as there is more of a disposition to BER (blossom end rot)

and this Bear does his best to avoid BER as it is such a waste after all the effort etc.
So many Tomatoes...……..so little Time !

arnorrian
Reactions:

Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:36 pm

I had terrible BER last year, but only on a single variety, Black Plum. Nothing helped. But I like its taste, and it's very fruitful, so I planted it again.
Climate: Cfa
USDA hardiness zone: 7a
Elevation: 140 m

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:19 pm

I would say try them all and dont take other peoples advice. :lol:
There is one hated by so many people here and I like it.
Purple calabash.
One you simply must try next year is Gregories Alti or how ever you spell it.
Very early and very tasty.
Productive too.
You and I both know your climate and that means start seeds way early maybe even at the first of December.
I can get away with that here most years.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

brownrexx
Reactions:

Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:45 pm

Oh Texas [mention]karstopography[/mention] I never would have thought of that. I thought that you were in South America.

I also do not grow any Roma type paste tomatoes due to BER that they always get.

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:20 pm

brownrexx wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:45 pm Oh Texas @karstopography I never would have thought of that. I thought that you were in South America.

I also do not grow any Roma type paste tomatoes due to BER that they always get.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hollywood and the movies dont give a clue as to what our great state looks like in the movies.
The area is like a temperate swamp almost in some areas, thick with good people, forest and wildlife like you have never seen in your life.
This area was where our country and then our state was born.
If memory serves me correctly the first masonic lodge was in West Columbia just up the road from where I lived.
Me thinks West Columbia was the first capitol of the republic of Texas.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
This is area truly is where Texas began.
Sorry to get off track but I love my state. :)
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

karstopography
Reactions:

Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:34 pm

worth1 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:19 pm I would say try them all and dont take other peoples advice. :lol:
One you simply must try next year is Gregories Alti or how ever you spell it.
Very early and very tasty.
Productive too.
You and I both know your climate and that means start seeds way early maybe even at the first of December.
I ordered some Gregori's Altai, Costoluto Genovese and a few others for some later in the year starts. Maybe I’ll try a couple for a fall crop or at least have the seeds ready to start in December.

Nan6b
Reactions:

Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:10 am

Costoluto Genovese. The plant was very prolific, and the tomatoes were attractive and large. We hated the taste. My mom wouldn't even give them away because she was embarrassed they tasted so bad. However, we have since learned that they taste much better cooked and are used as a cooking tomato.

Danube. Got diseased instantly. Took forever to ripen. Skins were hard. Fruit was alarmingly crunchy, celery-like.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:16 am

brownrexx wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:11 am I think that your location and weather conditions make a huge difference in what will grow well and taste good in your garden...
I agree wholeheartedly. Soil makes a big difference and even among those who grow in buckets the results are different depending on soil mix and fertilizers used.
brownrexx wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:11 am I never grew a tomato that we hated although some grew and produced better than others. I really think that it's trial and error which is why I try at least one new one each year. This year I am trying Rebel Yell but I wonder how I will like it since all of the good reports that I have heard come from the South and I am in PA.
And I'm trying a lot of new-to-me tomatoes this year, including Rebel Yell. It will be interesting to compare our results!

TomHillbilly
Reactions:

Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:48 am

Tigarella is the worst mushy mater I ever grew.--- @arnorrian nailed it.
I grew over 30 varieties one year, and Orange Banana was the only one to get end rot. I never picked any fit to eat.
Brandywine is a extremely light producer.
Everyone raves about Isis Candy-- Not me !! There is just too many great cherries out there for me to grow Isis Candy.
Blue Beauty is great to look at-- but bad mushy.
PS-- Celebrity, Big Boy, Parks Whopper, and Lemon Boy was all great tomatoes 30 years ago. They IMPROVED them all. To where the taste has diminished.

Booerry85
Reactions:

Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:53 am

There's a few that I avoid for different reasons. I grew 5 Brandywine plants one year and got 1 tomato, total, from the 5 plants. I'm not wasting that much time, space and energy for 1 tomato. San Marzano and Roma tomatoes get BER; so I avoid those two as well. Mr. Stripey seems to have 2 different strains. One is a larger tomato beefsteak / slicer that's suppose to be good. I grew the other one, the salad tomato. It was a total spitter. Unfortunately, that spitter was productive too. I avoid any Mr. Stripey tomatoes.

Return to “Tomato Talk”