How is the COVID-19 pandemic affecting you?

Off Topic Area
SpookyShoe
Reactions: 827

Re: How is the COVID-19 pandemic affecting you?

Thu May 07, 2020 10:31 am

worth1 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 6:59 am
Pretty hard to distance with two guys working all day in a scissor lift sharing tools.
Yes, it is.
Donna, zone 9, El Lago, Texas

Bower
Reactions: 776

Thu May 07, 2020 11:15 am

Went for a look at Mom's garden today, and we had a walk around together. Snow is gone. She's been busy working on her flowers. :)
Anyway at one point she walked right up to me (almost) then suddenly looked down at the distance between our feet and took a lurch back. She hasn't had the kind of practice social distancing that we get when we're out in public, LOL. ;) Good thing summer is coming.. she'll get used to it. Imagine, having a few visitors (at distance) for a change. It's about time!
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

clara
Reactions: 187

Thu May 07, 2020 2:31 pm

My little grandsons are living quite close to me, only 2 - 3 minutes by feet and "normally" we meet us several times per week. When the crisis started, they called me and offered to do shopping for me - imagine, boys of 6 and 8 years! Fortunately that was not necessary. Last week, they asked me on the phone what I was doing and when I told them that I was killing weeds, they wanted to come over. "We will keep distance, for sure!" My garden is large enough to do so, so I welcomed them. I had a small table in the garden where I put the gloves and garden tools and something to drink and both boys worked like crazy. They were a real help for me! Keeping distance was no problem, but then the elder boy and I approached the table in the same moment. R. jumped back and I saw tears in his eyes. When I asked him why, he said: "Oma (Granny), I think I am healthy, but if I have this damned Corona virus and infect you, I could never again be happy!" Now I also had tears in my eyes...
per aspera ad astra

mikestuff49
Reactions: 213

Thu May 07, 2020 2:41 pm

@clara
That is a touching story. I'm glad to see that even youngsters see the seriousness of this pandemic. It's also evident how much you are loved.
The best things in life---are not things.

clara
Reactions: 187

Thu May 07, 2020 2:55 pm

Thank you, @mikestuff49! Oh yes, we love each other!

My daughter (who is a teacher also) has well informed the boys and I am always impressed how attentively they watch the news, from here and from other countries. You must know both are educated bilingually as their father is from England, so they also understand British and American TV channels. Especially the elder boy had already developed a very clear opinion on... you know whom I mean...
per aspera ad astra

Sue_CT
Reactions: 509

Thu May 07, 2020 5:55 pm

Worth if you really want better protection while working in close proximity to others simply use a face shield over your mask. You can make your own and they look a lot like what we use when we are very close to people we know are COVID 19 positive. At the end of the day or any time you take it off, wash it with soap and water or a disinfectant wipe, slip it into a PAPER bag, leave the bag open at the top and then clean your hands. It giveS a significant amount of additional protection and has been a big reason most of us are able to care for COVID patients without getting sick ourselves.

https://www.michaels.com/diy-face-masks ... ace-shield

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... tion=click

I am not supposed to enter a COVID room without one of these. Just a hint, though, ours have velcro straps rather than elastic or ties, which allows you to fit it to your head once and then just keep sliding it on and off.

AlittleSalt
Reactions: 80

Fri May 08, 2020 1:56 am

Nan6b wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:28 am
What a struggle you have! My clients who had anxiety and panic attacks were some of the strongest people I know. True bravery isn't an absence of fear, but continuing on through the fear/anxiety/pain. It takes a strong man to be in your shoes.
As with pain, one way to combat anxiety is with distraction. It's why your doctor originally said to get a hobby. It might help to spend some time each day immersed in your garden- or immersed in anything you enjoy- to get some time away from the stress of these Covid times. Ditto for your wife. Maybe toss a Frisbee together in the driveway?
The anxiety lasted 24/7 for 5 days. I didn't want to post or read here. I changed my routine somewhat last Friday. I couldn't cook, but I did clean the house some. There were times where panic tried to step in really hard, but I got through them. Friday through Tuesday.

My wife got off work at 4pm Tuesday. She picked up our grandchildren after that. Everyday is the same to me, but I didn't expect grandchildren here ... a 7 and 10 year old pushing every boundary possible. (I know, life 101)
Texas Zone 8A

AlittleSalt

Fri May 08, 2020 2:06 am

worth1 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:23 pm
I'm still pondering the logic behind the mother making the daughter get the drivers licenses.
If the daughter gets the CVD then the girl is still going to be in the house with the mother.
Most likely not showing any symptoms.
What is the logic behind that?
Total idiot if you ask me.
There was no logic in it. The mother was only thinking of herself, and couldn't care less about the daughter.

These Covid times are horrible, but human nature can be worse. You know it and we all do.
Texas Zone 8A

Nan6b
Reactions: 641

Fri May 08, 2020 9:06 am

I have loved the good side of humanity that comes through in times like these. Even commercials on television are different: instead of just throwing a product in our face, they talk about how we're all in this together, the company in question is there for us, and a gentle "Stay safe" at the end. All the free internet concerts by various artists. My mother has gotten several "thinking of you" cards from friends & family. I've been giving out homemade face masks for free and people have been surprising us with money to contribute to the mask-making cause. Has anyone else out there noticed an extra dose of kindness during these hard times?

worth1
Reactions: 1417

Fri May 08, 2020 5:58 pm

Rare photo of me at work.
Hard hat off because my company's name is on it.
Face mask pulled down because Im not around anyone.
Try working like this pulling wire from a scissor lift for ten hours a day and using a hammer drill in concrete for support anchors.
Glasses foggy can't see.
Ya gotta get your head on straight to do this.
So the next time you piss and moan about this crap think about us.
The men and women on the front lines working our butts off to keep the bills paid and your life safe and or comfortable.
That's a happy man behind that mess you just can't see it.
May your god bless America and my your god bless us all.
Resized_20200508_134955.jpg
Resized_20200508_134955.jpg (196.66 KiB) Viewed 310 times
Worth
Paul Prudhomme Is The Head Chef In Heaven

mikestuff49
Reactions: 213

Flyovers

Fri May 08, 2020 6:35 pm

I've seen endless reports of military flyovers to honor medical workers. How does this help anyone? The U.S. is the world's champion "memorial" country. If kids get shot up in a school, we pile flowers and stuffed animals at the school door instead of taking guns away from mentally deranged individuals. We fly planes over hospitals instead of making sure the healthcare workers have all of the protective gear they need to protect themselves from patients with the virus. I believe we now live in an Instagram and Facebook world without any real responsibility to do what is right and necessary to solve our problems.
The best things in life---are not things.

AlittleSalt

Sat May 09, 2020 12:29 am

Today, I woke up knowing that my wife had plans for today. It was to get some groceries and do some window shopping for a washing machine because we don't have one. I called Home Depot this morning. All I needed to ask was, "Is it okay for me and my wife to look at washing machines together?" The answer was, "Yes." - Even though it goes against a city ordinance of only 1 family member in a store at a time. I never thought I would have to call ahead and ask permission to shop at a store.

We went there, and as I expected, there are high-end and low-end washing machines. To my surprise, those front loader washing machines that were the so popular a few years back - are not so popular anymore. It seems they have too many problems. The newest and whatever ones were priced so high that the only thing I noticed about them is that they are all top loading without an agitator. Then we saw some newfangled refrigerators. Could you imagine paying $4,000 for a refrigerator? At that price, I would expect it to refrigerate and cook the meal for me.

Yes, I went out in public. I saw lots of social distancing in some places. At HEB, those customers couldn't care less and they are still hoarding. At Home Depot, it was pretty close to the same. At the liquor store was completely different. People stayed around 12 feet away from each other.

Well, as my doctors have said, "There are a lot more of old alcoholics than there are old doctors." Think about it.
Texas Zone 8A

AlittleSalt

Sat May 09, 2020 12:31 am

Worth, nah.

Mike, you have no clue.
Texas Zone 8A

Clkeiper
Reactions: 159

Sat May 09, 2020 6:02 am

the pandemic is compounded by this arctic cold front. ... how incredibly stressful for all those who have orchards in bloom, plants planted out already... rows and rows of floating row cover down in Amish country... it equals ACRES and ACRES of it and that is a lot of work putting it out and taking it back off.

SpookyShoe
Reactions: 827

Amazing! What a thrill!

Sat May 09, 2020 9:41 am

The magnificent Blue Angels flew over the Houston area on Wednesday to honor frontline workers and first responders. I took the photo from a park by NASA Rd. 1.
Screenshot_2020-05-09-08-58-18~3.png
Screenshot_2020-05-09-08-58-18~3.png (1.57 MiB) Viewed 217 times
Donna, zone 9, El Lago, Texas

Growing Coastal
Reactions: 410

Sat May 09, 2020 10:00 am

I hope that includes working people like Worth, too!

Labradors
Reactions: 122

Sat May 09, 2020 10:05 am

The Canadian Snowbirds flew over yesterday to celebrate Operation Inspiration. We wondered what the heck all the noise was as they flew directly over our house {LOL}. Had thought it was to celebrate 75 years since the Second World War ended, but it was just a coincidence.

worth1

Sat May 09, 2020 1:21 pm

One of those Blue Angels is a US Marine.
Worth

brownrexx
Reactions: 574

Re: Flyovers

Sat May 09, 2020 2:36 pm

mikestuff49 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:35 pm
I've seen endless reports of military flyovers to honor medical workers. How does this help anyone? The U.S. is the world's champion "memorial" country. If kids get shot up in a school, we pile flowers and stuffed animals at the school door instead of taking guns away from mentally deranged individuals. We fly planes over hospitals instead of making sure the healthcare workers have all of the protective gear they need to protect themselves from patients with the virus. I believe we now live in an Instagram and Facebook world without any real responsibility to do what is right and necessary to solve our problems.
I don't always agree with Mike but this time I actually do. The Military flyovers are very impressive and I am all in for honoring the medical workers but I can't help thinking about how many thousands of dollars are spent just on the fuel for these planes. They are incredibly expensive to operate and maintain. I would rather see that money go towards PPE, free meals or lodging or some other way to honor and thank those workers.

As for piling up stuffed animals and flowers - it is not something that I would do but it is a way that ordinary people can show support and grieve with families and I see nothing wrong with that.

worth1

Sat May 09, 2020 3:42 pm

Doesn't matter if they do a fly over or not they still have to fly those beautiful jets almost every day just the keep in practice and have flight time in them.
You cant get that good sitting on the ground all the time.
So it isn't a waste of money at all.
They are going to burn that fuel no matter what.
I could go into a long drawn out explanation about how this all works but I wouldn't change any minds anyway.

On a side note my gallon jug of100% pure virgin pecan oil came in today. :D :D
Worth

Return to “Area 51”