How is the COVID-19 pandemic affecting you?

Off Topic Area
AlittleSalt
Reactions: 72

Re: How is the COVID-19 pandemic affecting you?

Fri May 22, 2020 2:41 am

Thank you for editing out my post yet again.
Texas Zone 8A

daylilydude
Reactions: 9

Fri May 22, 2020 3:51 am

AlittleSalt wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:41 am
Thank you for editing out my post yet again.
I thought I had read your post yesterday and was just wondering where it went.

worth1
Reactions: 1297

Fri May 22, 2020 4:42 am

Keep in mind that UV light can mutate and not kill if done incorrectly.
Worth
Paul Prudhomme Is The Head Chef In Heaven

Bower
Reactions: 745

Fri May 22, 2020 5:47 am

I didn't see your post, Salt.
Re indoor spaces, this is so true. I remember at uni, I hated to have classes in the giant lecture hall with hundreds packed in. It was stupidly hot and stuffy in there, and there was always somebody coughing. It was impossible to get through a semester without coming down with whatever flu was going around. We used to call it 'viral incubator 2109'.
I read that they're using robots to do the UV sterilizing in hospitals and trains.
If I understood Cole, he's talking about air flowing in and then out of a closed box where the sterilizing takes place. You would have to be sure that there are no light leaks whatsoever, for this to be safe.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

karstopography
Reactions: 350

Fri May 22, 2020 5:52 am

Got my haircut yesterday for the first time since maybe late in January. It felt amazing! Robert, the stylist, he’s way too expensive to be called a barber, said I looked like a tennis star from the 1970s, he said Jimmy Connors, with my long wavy wings flowing around my mask straps. We both were masked up the whole time, his was color coordinated and fashionable, mine the plain white N95 type left over from ZTR mowing jobs. Evidently, masking while at the salon was mandatory, but I was warned ahead of time. Incidentally, wearing a mask doesn’t phase me a bit. I wore a NIosh chemical respirator for decades as part of my work. These little N95 masks are a breeze and relatively comfortable.

Getting a haircut with a mask on was a little tricky, but we figured it out. Robert lost about 15 pounds since I’d last seen him and he couldn’t stand to lose that much, rail thin already, turn him sideways and he disappears kind of thin. I think the stress of this virus and the shutdowns, the lack of income and social distancing effects people in different ways. Some eat more, others can’t eat.

He had stories to tell. There was the story about his brother the eye surgeon that lives in another state and was shut down near the beginning of March. Done a total of three procedures since that time, when he might have otherwise done hundreds. The overhead of having a facility and inactivity is killing him. Things there now have just opened up to more non-emergency procedures, but people are either too afraid, too poor, or are otherwise putting off what they can so there’s still little to no eye surgery work.

I asked Robert what he’d been up to since being shut down for all those weeks. He always loved to tell me about his travels, love for the cinema, and about gathering with friends and far flung family and of course all that got trashed with the virus. He’d said he had been binge watching television like myself and gardening, also like myself. Interestingly, he and his partner bought a house this past winter where the previous owner was evidently an avid gardener. Said they’ve been harvesting some wonderful purple asparagus left behind by the former owner, Wow, I didn’t even realize asparagus grew here. The yard is loaded with exotic flowering shrubs and plants left behind by whoever was this wunderkind previous resident. I’m dying to see the garden, but Robert didn’t invite me, maybe in happier times. But, he himself had planted some tomatoes, peppers and squash and was getting the irrigation system back up and running. The garden did sound amazing and that he was also into gardening made me smile.

But, the worse part was that he was binge watching the Hallmark channel. I said what, the Hallmark channel, the one with the Christmas movies where everyone movie and every character is exactly the same as the previous one. Why!! Robert, Why?? You of all people who adore advant garde cinema and great storytelling are now binge watching Hallmark shows? He said well exactly it’s so predictable, nothing really bad happens and there’s always a happy ending.

That’s when I fully grasped just how bad things have gotten.
Zone 9a/b, right on the line, in the heart of the Columbia bottomlands. Heat zone 9, Sunset Zone 28, annual rainfall 52”

brownrexx
Reactions: 531

Fri May 22, 2020 8:30 am

We have a well at my house and people without city water use a UV light to disinfect their water.

It is a glass tube with a $90 UV tube inside of it. Our water flows on the outside of the tube so it is exposed to the light but does not contact the UV tube. The light tube must be replaced once a year.

I don't know that virus particles are ever found in water but the UV kills bacteria and parasites that could be in the water. I like using water that is sterilized but not with chloramine. We also have an inline charcoal filter to remove chemicals.

No haircuts allowed in PA. We are still on almost total lock down. Eye doctors and dentists just opened last week.

karstopography
Reactions: 350

Fri May 22, 2020 9:44 am

I’m on a well, but we don’t have a UV light. Don’t do anything to negate bacteria or pathological agents. Our well is 200 feet plus deep so maybe that makes a difference. Prior resident took water for the house straight out of the lake. Didn’t treat it either. She lived into her 90s. Lake doesn’t allow gas engine motors, but still. I use the lake water for the garden. Only untreated water I have drank is deep well, water from a Canadian Shield lake in Quetico PP and water straight from a Texas Hill Country Spring.

My mom just told me one of her 80 plus year old classmates got Covid this week. I took her some fresh picked french filet beans and tomatoes. Gave dad a bottle of hot sauce I made from garden peppers. Mom wouldn’t let me get near her, that’s how I knew something was up. Her classmate had Only gone to the grocery store and hadn’t had visitors. One of the the two cases so far this month in my town of 30,000. Still hanging around here, this virus.

I went to the dentist May 4th, the day routine dentistry opened back up. My semi annual was scheduled for March sometime, right before the shutdown. I opted to reschedule at that time out of caution. They tried to put me into April, but I said not until May. Turns out they couldn’t have seen me in April anyway, with the shutdowns. Routine Dentist visits get to open up before the barber, imagine that! Going to the dentist seems far more invasive with bodily fluids literally spewing into the air and therefore, far more likely to spread the virus than a simple haircut, but there’s plenty of screwball decisions being made by various authorities these days. Not that it’s an easy task to decide who gets to stay open and who stays shuttered.

Sad thing is that these struggles with self isolation and/or forced shutdowns will persist until enough people get the virus, and we are miles and miles from that, or some sort of miracle cure is discovered. The virus is just bad enough to cause major trouble, but not so bad to be easy to spot. If everyone that got the virus had some sort of Ebola like reaction, symptoms and outcome, maybe it would have been easier to contain earlier. With people walking around spreading a virus not even knowing they are infectious, with a super long infectious time period, with symptoms that can sort of mimic a cold, with an ability to be easily spread through the air without direct contact, how the heck can something like that be stopped dead in its tracks? Truth is, it’s impossible. There is just no way to isolate enough, fully enough, for long enough, to eradicate it. And that’s being reflected around the world. Has anyplace totally stopped it? No. Trickle here, flood there. That seems to be the truth of it for the foreseeable future.

It would almost be better to get to a threshold, just below the threshold, of what a health care system can handle and get the misery over with as soon as possible without putting people at additional risks. If we could shorten this to months rather than years. Otherwise, the virus will be like an anvil constantly hanging by a thread over our heads. One false move, snap. There’s no evidence I’ve seen that an effective vaccine is practical or achievable. A proven, effective vaccine seems like wishful thinking. A specific therapy does too. Maybe the virus mutates into something less deadly. That’s happened with other coronaviruses. That seems to be the most likely thing.

Everyone is miserable about this virus, health care workers directly involved in the care of the infected for sure, but so is anyone, the millions, with little or no income, mounting debts, obligations, they are suffering as well. The patients, the families of patients, students, business owners, employees, landlords, tenants, farmers, barbers, surgeons, this is majorly messing with everything and everyone. No way around it. Make the best of it, that’s what we do, but if this isn’t putting you somehow in a big or little bind or at least cramping your style at this point, I want to know just how you avoided the hurt.
Zone 9a/b, right on the line, in the heart of the Columbia bottomlands. Heat zone 9, Sunset Zone 28, annual rainfall 52”

Sue_CT
Reactions: 468

Fri May 22, 2020 10:14 am

The problem is that is impossible to to reach that threshold without putting people at severe risk. Last Sunday the the last thing I did at work was take a 58 year old man with no past medical history, out of ICU who had been there for 2 months. He was on a ventilator for over a month, and was still confused and so weak he can barely move his neck. You just don't know who is going to get a mild case and who will die or be months just to get out of the hospital. People focus on the high risk factors, but those are just statistics, there is no rule that says a young person can't die from it, and many have.

brownrexx

Fri May 22, 2020 10:16 am

@karstopography we also have a deep well and did not use a UV light for many years. However I would have the water lab tested for bacteria every several years and one time I got a failing result. We got the UV light after that and were told by a realtor that we would be unable to sell a property in this area without a UV light so we figured that it was a good idea to get one and it gives me peace of mind.

Most contamination happens in shallow wells or ones where ground water follows the well casing down to a deeper level.

I also used to drink right out of streams when I was backpacking in my 20's and I never got sick but I wouldn't do that anymore. There are more people and more animals now and it really is not safe to do that.

rxkeith
Reactions: 73

Fri May 22, 2020 10:33 am

there are people in the medical and virology fields with extensive experience that have questioned measures taken to minimize the out break.
anyone who isn't main stream is called a wacko or their character is attacked. nothing is said about what they are saying, and is it true or not.
when we are dealing with something new even though corona viruses are not new, we need to hear views from both sides of the fence, and not
be locked in to just one point of view or method of dealing with covid 19.

just over a hundred cases of confirmed cases in the U.P. restrictions here are being eased along with lower northern michigan.
some people here with health issues are scared, and still won't leave their house or minimize time outside the house. i feel sorry for them.
i'm still going to work, sneeze guards in place, corporate has us wearing masks when helping customers. i personally don't care if people wear
a mask or not. i have more faith in my immune system than an untried vaccine attempting to be produced by a company that hasn't made anything
yet. just my opinion, agree or disagree, no offense meant and none taken.

keith

worth1

Fri May 22, 2020 11:44 am

I drink alone.
I live alone.
I like animals.
I dont like large crowds and gatherings.
I cant stand bars and clubs.
I cant stand restaurants with a TV blaring in the background.
I actually enjoy washing my hands arms and face.
I love being with just my cat Smokey.
This thing has been a real blessing to me now that I think about it. :)
Worth

Clkeiper
Reactions: 159

Fri May 22, 2020 4:14 pm

rxkeith wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:33 am
there are people in the medical and virology fields with extensive experience that have questioned measures taken to minimize the out break.
anyone who isn't main stream is called a wacko or their character is attacked. nothing is said about what they are saying, and is it true or not.
when we are dealing with something new even though corona viruses are not new, we need to hear views from both sides of the fence, and not
be locked in to just one point of view or method of dealing with covid 19.

just over a hundred cases of confirmed cases in the U.P. restrictions here are being eased along with lower northern michigan.
some people here with health issues are scared, and still won't leave their house or minimize time outside the house. i feel sorry for them.
i'm still going to work, sneeze guards in place, corporate has us wearing masks when helping customers. i personally don't care if people wear
a mask or not. i have more faith in my immune system than an untried vaccine attempting to be produced by a company that hasn't made anything
yet. just my opinion, agree or disagree, no offense meant and none taken.

keith
thanks for your thoughts. I feel like we aren't allowed to disagree or "buck" the system. I have stopped asking questions or posting thoughts.

brownrexx

Fri May 22, 2020 4:47 pm

@rxkeith I am also a bit leery of a fast tracked vaccine. I would be happier if a treatment is developed.

Our governor just announced today that my county will remain in total lockdown for 2 more weeks.

worth1

Fri May 22, 2020 7:01 pm

Big annual company picnic scheduled for the last of June.
I cant believe it and I wont be going.
I wouldn't anyway but at least now I have an excuse.

After this is all over with China might have control over a lot of stuff on paper due to loan defaults.
They already took control of a new port for 99 years in Sri Lanka over a loan they conned them into they knew they couldn't pay back.
If anyone thinks this is over with just wait and see, the party is just getting warmed up.
It doesn't matter if they find a cure and a vaccine tomorrow the damage is already done.
Worth

worth1

Fri May 22, 2020 7:47 pm

As for water I dont think there is anything more wrong with our water now than there ever was.
Maybe a little but not that much.
I was raised drinking water from lakes, creeks, rivers wells springs and ponds.
What they have done is scare people into buying water for an outrageous price.
To this day I stick it to the man and save my plastic pop bottles and fill them with filtered water from the house.
Then they are frozen and used for drinking and to keep my lunch cool if need be.

By the time this is all over many peoples immune systems will be down the drain out of fear.
Not mine.
Some time ago there was a guy on the job site that didn't wear a mask or anything.
Not one of our guys.
Now the guy is so petrified he can hardly go his job and is afraid to touch anything.
I saw him the other day using his safety vest to open a door and his eyes were as big a saucers.
I felt so sorry for him having to work in fear like that.
I was afraid for awhile but I guess I just sort of got over it.
Like a solder in battle on his first day and then later after a year of battle.
My only battle like many of us is just to keep the bills paid.
Worth

brownrexx

Sat May 23, 2020 7:19 am

You may see more of this @worth1 as I hear that TX is going to be a hot spot.

It sounds like the South may see what we saw in the East a 2 months ago with rapid spread.

worth1

Sat May 23, 2020 8:30 am

brownrexx wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:19 am
You may see more of this @worth1 as I hear that TX is going to be a hot spot.

It sounds like the South may see what we saw in the East a 2 months ago with rapid spread.
I dont know whether that would be speculation or computer modeling that would make people come to that conclusion.
One thing I do know is people need to get outside and get some sunshine and enjoy life.
It isn't healthy in many ways being cooped up in the house and not meeting people.
They get to swarm around each other in the grocery stores why not the parks and lakes.
Then telling a family that lives with each other and rides in a car with each other they cant be in the same boat with each other is preposterous.

Another good thing that came out of this is I met an Austin Fire Marshall that knew the cabinet shop I worked in back in the 80's and the man that owned it.
That shop closed down due to economic bust in the late 80's and I was the last guy to walk out the door.
We spent the inspection talking about wood working and machinery.
The GC on the job ran around the same area as I did back then too, and we all had a good time talking about Austin in the good old days up on what they called rat flats. :lol:

Yesterday I was so tired I got home around 11:30 AM ate and passed out till 8:00 PM woke up ate again and passed out till this morning.
Worth

Growing Coastal
Reactions: 378

Sat May 23, 2020 9:48 am

Where I live we are beating the curve despite our cooler climate. With fewer cases all the time, no masks and no widespread testing we are gettting there anyway. In my small town, I am happy enough to stay at home and putter in the garden or go for walks in the neighbourhood to see the gardens of others. I caught two ladies taking pictures of the flowers in front of my house, yesterday. On my street I see other neighbours talking to each other out on the street more, the way I do with mine as our dogs have little visits, too. People walking out on the streets are friendly, at a distance - "Hello over there!" and chatting in longer grocery lineups outside.
I think it's much easier in more rural settings without large crowds of people anywhere.

Our officials are slowly lifting the lockdown in phases with more business being allowed to operate with new rules in place re: distancing, masks, numbers in buildings and how products are handled. Dentists and hair stylists either are or soon will be open again.

While our governments are helping I am glad that I can be a stable tenant for my young landlord. Banks will make their profits no matter what. They are allowing people to defer their mortgage payments - at additional cost, of course! There is some question about how many might face foreclosure after this is all done so banks may not be clear of troubles either though they never lose in the long run.
Long term care homes continue to have people getting sick with COVID.
Our top doc says to expect another wave as most pandemics have a second wave, sometimes worse than the first.
So far, so good .

Bonus - I have spent less during the COVID even with a significant donation to the food bank.

Sue_CT
Reactions: 468

Sat May 23, 2020 10:19 am

Worth, it is neither speculation, nor computer modeling, it is the actual number of confirmed cases being reported. No one knows exactly how much is due to increased testing finding more cases and how much is due to the virus spreading at least in part due to the reponening, but it is probably both. When you have that many cases and people are not masking and keeping their distance, it is just inevitable that it WILL spread. The recommendation was for states to try a gradual reopening after they demonstrated 2 weeks of declining numbers, but many have refused to wait for that, and the outcomes will likely show the difference between which states did and which ones didn't.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-cases-c ... d=70720497

brownrexx

Sat May 23, 2020 12:23 pm

Thought that I was going to get beat up at the grocery store this morning!

I went in and got a few items that we needed and headed for the express lines. I was being careful to stand behind the yellow social distancing line when some man who was a head taller and 50 lbs heavier than me says in a really nasty voice "the line is back here" and points behind him.

I said no, there are 2 lines and I point to the big sign that says FORM 2 LINES and there are arrows pointing to the 2 checkout counters.

He then proceeds to yell that the line was way behind him when he got there and there was no way to form 2 lines.

There was no one behind him at this point so I say OK, feel free to go in front of me as I pointed to the line on my side.

He gets even more loud and says NO, I WILL WAIT FOR THE NEXT AVAILABLE CASHIER !!!!

I said "I'm really sorry that you are so hostile" and then he yells "I am not hostile you are rude" and he stomps to the cashier.

After I checked out a lady from another line comes up to me and says "I want to apologize for that man. I hope that he didn't ruin your day. He is probably just upset about all that is going on. She said that everyone in the store could hear him and that I didn't do anything wrong.

I thanked her for being so nice and it really did make me feel better. I didn't think that I was doing anything wrong and I really thought that he was going to attack me.

In case you don't know this, I am a woman and I think that it's doubly strange that a big man would verbally attack a smaller woman in a grocery store. He acted like a total nutcase and was super aggressive.

People are getting desperate.

Return to “Area 51”