Favorite Cucumbers

jmsieglaff
Reactions:

Re: Favorite Cucumbers

Thu May 21, 2020 7:43 am

MissS wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:48 pm
Now there is the question. I am going to grow cukes this year. My Community Garden Plot is 30 x 30. I am putting up a fence/trellis for cukes 15 flong. This ought to be enough for one 5' tall little ole lady and a whole bunch of neighbors too. The people here have been so very helpful with such great advice, it sure makes it hard for a girl to make a choice.

I will be growing because I have found seeds for and because of the great advise:

County Fair
National Pickling
Boston Pickling
Homemade Pickles
Sweet Success

I wonder if I will have enough.... LOL
Ha! Sounds like you found a nice garden plot and I think you'll have A LOT of cukes! I am trying a new to me this year, China Jade, in addition to my Sweeter Yet.

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Thu May 21, 2020 11:05 am

Just to throw a wrench in the works, I have a new slicer this year, and I'm in love with it. TaurusF1. What a producer! I have a great problem with pickleworms here, so I cover the 2 Earthboxes in tulle at night, fastened with clothespins. Removed in the am to allow for growth and airflow. These are the sweetest, crunchiest, non bitter longest slicer cucumbers, and with every female flower developing. They have male flowers but still produce no seeds so far. So far, 3 plants have given me about 60. I got my seeds from Harris, but Twilley seeds have them for a better price. So does Amazon but I wouldn't trust those.
Photos of a 1 day harvest, of extras I gave to the local nursing staff at a hospital, and of the tulle I put on to keep the nocturnal pickleworm moths out.
20200401_080521.jpg
20200408_075258.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ginger2778 on Thu May 21, 2020 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Marsha

MissS
Reactions:

Thu May 21, 2020 6:53 pm

Thank you Marsha. Those look great. I will give them a try next year for sure!
~ Patti ~

slugworth
Reactions:

Fri May 22, 2020 4:03 pm

suyo long from saved seeds
You don't have to peel them
"A chiseled face,Just like Easter Island" :lol:

HL2601
Reactions:

Fri May 22, 2020 10:06 pm

Tormato I have been channeling you! Have 4 Viridis F2s I just planted from the Xmas seeds you sent! Thank you for those-

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sun May 24, 2020 11:30 pm

A question for those who trellis cucumbers, have never done it before myself and am considering doing it this year, just wondering how the plants would cope with fruit of upto 2lb hanging from the vines? Would it be best to support them somehow or should they be OK just hanging.

karstopography
Reactions:

Mon May 25, 2020 2:49 am

[mention]Whwoz[/mention] I sometimes place the cucumbers on the trellis structure or on the vine in a way that offers the cucumbers some added support. Cucumbers hang pretty well, though, the stems are tough and strong, I haven’t had a cucumber tear free due to its own weight. I haven’t let a cucumber get to 2 pounds yet, though.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Whwoz
Reactions:

Mon May 25, 2020 4:07 am

Thank you [mention]karstopography[/mention], useful information, much appreciated. The Sikkims that I grew last season pushed 1.75 lb if I missed them in what was an ordinary season for us after the fires. If I trellis them hopefully I can pick them all at our preferred size, which is much smaller, but allowing for some to get bigger if they get away from us. Won't be trying to trellis Giant White Russian though, at 4lb, they are just to big.

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Mon May 25, 2020 7:02 am

Mine are trellised because I grow them in my Earthboxes that already have tomato cages. They set lots if fruit, and it's very easy to see, so mine never even get to 1 lb. Can you eat a 2 lb cucumber? Is it tough?
Last edited by Ginger2778 on Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Marsha

worth1
Reactions:

Mon May 25, 2020 9:26 am

Ginger2778 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:02 am Mine are trellised because I grow them in my Earthboxes that already have tomato cages. They sets lots if fruit, and it's very easy to see, so mine never even get to 1 lb. Can you eat a 2 lb cucumber? Is it tough?
These things aren't even close to what you and I would call a cucumber here.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Mon May 25, 2020 6:32 pm

Marsha, what I am growing is a different style of cucumber to the burpless ones that you have shown above. Those sizes mentioned are the normal size for those varieties so no, they aren't tough at all. The Sikkims go a russet red when mature and become a bit bitter, the Giant White Russian go a yellowish -brown and because they are bred as a storage cucumber are still good to eat, just need one slice to cover a bread bun.
Ginger2778 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:02 am Mine are trellised because I grow them in my Earthboxes that already have tomato cages. They sets lots if fruit, and it's very easy to see, so mine never even get to 1 lb. Can you eat a 2 lb cucumber? Is it tough?

Hatgirl
Reactions:

Sun May 31, 2020 1:41 pm

I grow Femspot every year. Great taste, no spines.

karstopography
Reactions:

Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:31 pm

Growing cucumbers has been a revelation to me. I’ve gone from not liking cucumbers in general, all I really ever had was super market ones, to now loving them. I bought the seed from the feed store that sells out out of bulk bins. I bought Garden Sweet Burpless, which are pretty long and a little knobby, still very good and not bitter, but I like them peeled. But, there must have been another type of seed in the mix. A spineless type, essentially no knobs, and the cucumbers tend to stay much shorter than the Garden Sweet Burpless. A lighter green skin and skin so thin that I prefer these cucumbers skin on. I wish I knew what type I have, they are very good and seem a little more productive than the Garden Sweet Burpless. If I knew what I had, I get those again. Maybe it’s a Persian type, those from what I’ve read seem to be shorter, thin skinned and spine free.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:26 pm

[mention]karstopography[/mention] track down a stem or two of the cucumber you like and pollinate the flowers, tagging them so you know which ones you have pollinated. If only one plant, you will be selfing, which may or may not take, but worth trying, even a poor set of seed should enable you to harvest enough seed for next year, when you can collect more. Knowing the name maybe ideal, but if you save the seed yourself, knowing what variety is not essential.

A photo may help someone confirm what group of cucumber you have, then a search of the suppliers website may narrow down the variety also

eyegrotom
Reactions:

Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:20 am

karstopography Take one of the cucumbers that you like to the feed/seed store they might be able to tell you what kind of is

Shule
Reactions:

Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:07 am

Our Spacemaster cucumbers are doing extremely well, this year! I was quite surprised, especially considering they're probably in salty soil (they're by a driveway that gets salted a lot in the winter; snow falls on it, and that snow has been known to get shoveled onto the soil where the cucumbers are growing). They might be a new favorite, if this is normal for them. The skins have been bitter for us, though, but you can peel them off.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

karstopography
Reactions:

Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:40 am

I’m going for a fall crop of cucumbers. Looking at the local planting charts, timing for seeding is anywhere from mid July into and through September. I’ve got the mystery seed from the feed store, plus Ashley, a persian type, and Arkansas little leaf. Might try them all. Not sure when I’ll put them in, maybe a staggered planting.

TXTravis
Reactions:

Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:52 pm

[mention]karstopography[/mention] I'm planning to try Fall cukes this year for the first time as well. Really looking forward to the Parisian Gherkin Hybrids. I've decided that I like cornichons better than any other pickles, and aim to do something about it.
A seed not planted is guaranteed not to grow.

friedgreen51
Reactions:

Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:15 pm

I have grown Arkansas Little Leaf several times. It is a good pickle type cucumber and good for eating. It was always a winner for me.

Here is the Seed Saver Exchange description:
Popular and reliable, this white-spined pickler has multiple disease-resistance. Compact vines have multiple branch points and will climb a fence or trellis with ease. Small leaf size makes finding fruit easier, and the parthenocarpic flowers produce fruit under stress and without pollinators. 5 in. long fruits good for slicing and pickling. This variety may have lost Downy Mildew resistance with the emergence of new strains of the fungus, as it now varies from year to year with how well it resists DM.

WoodSprite
Reactions:

Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:29 am

[mention]MissS[/mention], how did your cucumber comparisons turn out?

I don't like cucumbers but grow them for my husband and to make sun pickles (which I do love). I grew Homemade Pickles for the first time this past year. They didn't produce as many cucumbers as other varieties that I grew many years ago.
~ Darlene ~
My garden is made of multiple 6' diameter x 24" tall round stock tanks, located in a small clearing on our wooded property in the center of Pennsylvania. Hardiness zone 6b (updated). Heat zone 4.

Return to “Cucumbers”