What is this creature?

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
SpookyShoe
Reactions:

Re: What is this creature?

Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:33 pm

The dark anoles have been in my yard maybe 4-5 years. I too have heard that they are replacing the green anoles. Currently I have a mix of both. Every time I go outside I see dozens of lizards.
Donna, zone 9, El Lago, Texas

fluffy_gumbo
Reactions:

Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:53 am

I actually have a degree in studying anoles :)
These brown anoles (Anolis sagrei) can turn from a light brown to dark/black. The more slender/long lime-green ones with pink dewlap (Anolis carolinensis) can also turn brown. I'm not sure if we know why they change color, doesn't seem to have much to do with camouflage. The brown ones are indeed invasive, but the existential question is at what point does an invasive species becomes a native? ;)
Learn, adapt, grow! - Zone 9B
Blog: https://thebigeasygarden.wordpress.com/

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:56 pm

Green anoles come from Texas, eh? We used to have some as pets! :) I think we bought crickets from the pet store for them.

I've never seen a lizard in our garden. We mostly just seem to get insects (two-striped grasshoppers, wasps, flies, honeybees, smaller bees, hoverflies, ants, leaf-cutter bees, aphids, whiteflies, ladybugs, earwigs, praying mantises, katydids, variegated grape leafhoppers, other leafhoppers, black crickets, beetles, backswimmers, waterboatmen, butterflies, caterpillars, moths, skippers, dragonflies, green valley grasshoppers, etc.), birds (robins, hybrid doves, sparrows, Oregon juncos, magpies, humming birds, quail, finches, etc.), neighborhood cats, pill bugs (crustaceans), spiders, pedes, toads, spider mites, worms, slugs, snails (I see their shells more than them), mice, voles, and rarely garter snakes. I guess my sister spotted a raccoon in our old sour cherry tree, once, and squirrels, dogs and feral rabbits have been known to invade the yard before.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

EdieJ
Reactions:

Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:46 pm

We don't have anoles, but we have blue-tailed skinks. They are so pretty. Unfortunately, the feral cats in the area think they are a tasty snack 😞. We used to get anoles when we went to the circus; they sold them as 'chameleons' and they never lived very long 😢
North Central AL (mountains)
Zone 7

fluffy_gumbo
Reactions:

Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:40 am

If you ever have a chance to sit and observe an anole, please do! The males do push ups and repeatedly fans their dewlap to "fight" other males as well as "showing off" to females. A male usually have a territory and will stay in the same area until pushed out by another male.
Learn, adapt, grow! - Zone 9B
Blog: https://thebigeasygarden.wordpress.com/

SpookyShoe
Reactions:

Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:00 pm

fluffy_gumbo wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:40 am If you ever have a chance to sit and observe an anole, please do! The males do push ups and repeatedly fans their dewlap to "fight" other males as well as "showing off" to females. A male usually have a territory and will stay in the same area until pushed out by another male.
Have you ever observed some men in gyms?
Donna, zone 9, El Lago, Texas

Tracydr
Reactions:

Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:56 am

SpookyShoe wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:02 pm 0603201417.jpgAlmost overnight many holes appeared on my Snow White tomato plant leaves.
Those things were incredibly destructive last year in my garden and seemed to be immune to bt or neem. I think Spinoza made a dent but mostly I had to search and destroy.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:26 am

Tracydr wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:56 am Those things were incredibly destructive last year in my garden and seemed to be immune to bt or neem. I think Spinoza made a dent but mostly I had to search and destroy.
The extension service here sent my photos of southern army worm to UGA for verification. Yep, that be them. The lady at UGA said bT would only be effective with army worms 1/2" and smaller. Any larger and they seem to laugh at it. So the key is to investigate leaf damage as soon as you see it and if it's army worms, apply the bT while they are small. The dead ones will have shriveled overnight. The next day hand pick any that survived, most likely the larger ones and keep at it until they're gone. They get big fast so the sooner you catch them the better!

Return to “General Discussion”